Friday 20 March 2015

Ballet: Carmina Burana & Serenade

Ah, you see, as regular readers will know, if something isn't booked (and sometimes even if it is!), it ain't certain. I was intending to go to Life Is Sacred, part of the Human Rights Watch Film Festival at the Curzon Soho. There was also a Meetup group going.. and then, as of today, there wasn't! I guess I wasn't the only one to think that it was a bit rich, charging a £1 admin fee for doing pretty much nothing. Anyway, I decided to see what else was on - and there it was. Carmina Burana, the ballet. Well now, I do love Carmina Burana. So that was that!

What's more, it's showing at the Coliseum.. and they've closed the balcony for it! Tickets for the Dress Circle were actually affordable, and I booked one. And there I was, thinking I'd never be at that level again! Encouraged by such a rare event, as soon as I could I dashed home to change into nicer clothes. Not necessary, but you know, sometimes you just want to live up to the occasion.

Interestingly, on the Tube, I read a newspaper review of the show - described it as "grandly theatrical". I got there with time to spare, and made my leisurely way up the grand staircase. This time, I was second row from the back, squashed between people on either side. Still, the view was excellent, despite the ceiling (the floor of the Upper Circle) cutting off my view of the top of the stage. The ladies in front of me were enthusiastic - unfortunately, this meant they leaned forward in their seats, which is a real no-no; the people behind you can't see as well if you do that! Well, they weren't too obstructive. As for the warning to turn off mobile phones, it went pretty much unheeded of course - hence, of course, someone's mobile going off during the first half.

Yes - despite the order in the title, "Serenade" actually came first. This is a piece set to Tchaikovsky's Serenade for String. No story, just movement to the music. Long, floaty skirts and synchronised movements by lines of dancers. It's absolutely beautiful. Well done, the Birmingham Royal Ballet! And then we were into the interval, and given my stomach's grumbling during the performance, I felt myself entitled to an ice cream. I retreated to the auditorium to eat it though, avoiding the chaos of the lobby.

It seemed a long time until the second half. You could see how the lower two levels of boxes on either side had been reserved for the choir, who filed in at the beginning of the second half. Carmina Burana always does require a lot of performers! Well, the whole second half was an absolute delight for me. I'm a sucker for the music anyway, and the choreography matched it perfectly. Three priests find themselves compelled by Fortune to abandon their clerical lives, and give themselves over to debauchery. This work is actually great fun, with the priests rather bamboozled by the fair maidens around them. And Fortune comes on as a real femme fatale. Never has ballet been so saucy. Also, as the newspaper article describes, it's a veritable wonderland - you keep wondering what's coming next! Just like the musical work, really.

Oh, I absolutely loved it, and I'm so glad I caught it - three days only! So tomorrow (Saturday) sees the last performances (not tonight, as incorrectly stated in the paper). Most tickets already allocated - booking recommended.

Tomorrow, I'm booked into a free Jack the Ripper walk, with a Meetup group called Loose End Events. About time I went on one. I'm glad it isn't until evening, mind - I could do with a rest! On Sunday, I'm booked into yet another walk, with Ken's Events Meetup group - a walk around Wimbledon and Putney Commons. Unfortunately, there are engineering works on the Tube, which would make it more awkward to get to. We'll see how I feel after the walk tomorrow. And on Monday, I'm finally going to Made in Dagenham, a musical about the ladies employed in a clothing factory in Dagenham, who went on strike for equal pay back in the 60s. Tons of sites selling tickets, but as sometimes happens, the cheapest tickets are available from the official site.

No comments:

Post a Comment