Tuesday 3 February 2015

Play: Title and Deed

So, for tonight I booked to see a play - Title and Deed, at the Print Room, Notting Hill. Encouragingly, the last of last night's snow melted at lunchtime. Now, the last time I was in the Print Room, it was somewhere else entirely - when I checked today, it turned out it had moved to the old Coronet cinema! I had heard they planned to demolish that, but there was local opposition - glad to see they managed to keep it alive, unlike poor old Earl's Court, which I pass every day and peer at to see whether they've yet started to demolish it. A couple of things saved the Coronet, I guess - the people of Notting Hill are more affluent, and have more clout, and the site is much smaller, so the potential real estate is less.

So, an easy trip. A short one too, except that the trains to Edgware Road only run every 10 minutes. Naturally, I timed it so as to just miss one. After freezing on the platform for eight minutes, one arrived, and just over five minutes later I was at Notting Hill Gate. Where there are four exits. Choice #1: North or South side of the road. Well, if you've studied your map, that's easy. South side for the cinemas. Choice #2: left or right. I chose left, not thinking - the passageway takes you under the road, of course, so you want to turn right. For future reference, Exit #2 for the cinemas..

Pass the Gate cinema, and the Coronet is only a hop, skip and jump away. I scurried in and collected my ticket. There's a bar in the lobby, and signs that say "Theatre", and if you've been here before, it's apparent that it's in the old cinema #2. Dear God though, the place is a mess! I see that the Coronet website says they're renovating, and indeed a large sign on what used to be cinema #1 says that they are, and to expect a new cinema in due course. In the meantime, there is no floor covering, and the place looks dreadful - be prepared. In the theatre itself, they've retained the posh red velvet curtains, but removed the cinema seats, to be replaced with tiered, backless but upholstered benches. The cushions are comfortable, the lack of a back less so.

But the show is only 70 minutes, with no interval. It started about 10 minutes late - so I needn't have worried - and at that, two people arrived after he'd come onstage - he waited for them to take their seats. It's a loosely organised show, he had that freedom. So, this is a play by a Pulitzer Prize-winning finalist, about being an outsider. The actor is Irish, which helped.

He had a lovely, companionable way about him, and was a joy to listen to. And the writing is excellent, also a joy to listen to. And it's hilarious, disguising a more serious message about how outsiders are viewed. It's just.. well, two-thirds of the way in I found myself checking my watch. See, it's interesting, but it meanders and never seems to reach a conclusion. Maybe that's intentional, but I feel it lacks structure. It's all just anecdotes that are entertaining, but never seem to have a point. Frankly, I was glad when it ended.

Runs until Saturday, booking advisable. It was quite full.

Afterwards, I popped into Tesco, across the road, to buy something for dinner. I forgot to scan my card until after she'd rung my order through and given me the change - she hadn't reminded me. She then said it was too late. So I went to Customer Service with my receipt - another worker said it was unstaffed and I'd have to scan the card and receipt at the till - the same one I'd just left! Sadly, of the four on duty, only one knew how to do that. At least he was there. Bah humbug.. annoying experience. And then I had a 10-minute wait for the Tube back..

Well! I'm sorted for the rest of the week. Today, I finally booked something for tomorrow - a performance of Carmina Burana, by the Bach Choir, accompanied by the London Philharmonic, at the Royal Festival Hall. I've never seen it live before, so that should be good. I have to cross the bridge in the cold.. but never mind.

On Thursday, I get to go to the O2 for the first time - to see Ennio Morricone in concert. This is a rescheduled concert from December, when he was sick. Anyway, it'll be good to see the place before I go to see U2 there at the end of the year. With all the warnings against Level 4 (the upper of two available levels) for those who suffer from vertigo or fear of heights, I was spooked into paying £30 more for a seat on the lower level. We'll see. Note: AXS, the official vendor for the O2, is better to buy tickets from than Ticketmaster - AXS allows you a print-at-home option for free, whereas TM insists on posting them - for a fee.

And on Friday, I finally get to go to something that's been so heavily advertised - I'm off to the Pillow Cinema to see What We Do in the Shadows. Usually, when I see this event advertised, it's either something I've seen, or sold out. Or both. So it's a rare treat to have been able to get to something in it that I haven't seen. It's sold out now, mind you, as is most of the season, which runs until the 14th. This does sound like fun - you're advised to bring a pillow, but it's not compulsory. A blanket is also an option. "Seating" is on bean bags that sleep one or two - you have to reserve a whole bean bag - and you basically snuggle up in it as if you're in bed, and watch the movie! There's a drinks service to your bean bag. Takes place in the former Shoreditch Underground Station. Nice way to end the week, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment