Tuesday 10 February 2015

Musical: The Scottsboro Boys

When I first heard about The Scottsboro Boys musical, I thought it was about some country group, and that I wouldn't be interested. So, when it first came out, I just ignored it. Then there was a newspaper article about it, and I realised that wasn't what it was about at all, and that it might interest me. But it wasn't until I was looking for something to do last night that I came across it again.

With something that's been running for this long, and is close to finishing (on the 21st), you can guarantee there'll be offers. So I shopped around, and the cheapest I came across was London Theatre Direct, which was offering seats in the rear stalls (or restricted view further forward) for £25, no fee. So I booked one in the rear stalls, and took myself along to the Garrick Theatre last night.

I don't remember whether I've been here before - if so, it was a long time ago. Anyway, it's an easy one to get to - Exit 1 (on the left as you come up the escalators) from Leicester Square Tube, and a hop, skip and jump down the road to the left. About a minute's walk. The lobby was crowded, but I spotted the box office on the left and soon had my ticket. And by process of elimination, found my seat in the stalls. And I even had time to get started on the packet of Minstrels I bought on the way in, before the show got started.

Appropriately - because this show starts with minstrels. It's quite disturbing at times, because the style harks back to a time when black people were lampooned in these shows, and when they were regarded as inferior. The talent, by the way, is remarkable - terrific production values, terrific singers, talented dancers. There's a tap dancing scene after a while, and I swear I could smell talcum powder for several minutes afterwards.

As the show progresses, it gets progressively darker. Because this is the tale of a miscarriage of justice in Alabama in 1931, where a group of black teenage males were falsely accused of rape by two white girls, to get themselves out of trouble by deflecting attention. Yep, if you thought you were in for a biography of a bluegrass group, you're in for a shock!

It's brilliantly done, and absolutely shocking. The talent on display is awesome. Oh, and there's a mysterious black woman that haunts the periphery throughout, acting as an observer to the various events. She doesn't have any lines, and her purpose confused me. Don't worry, she comes to the fore in the last scene, in a completely unexpected and jaw-dropping way. Terrific show - I do recommend it. Booking advisable, both because that's how to get the cheapest rates, and because I suspect it'll be booking quite heavily for the rest of its run. Runs without an interval, which is handy for getting away quickly, but a little bit numbing for a two-hour performance.

On my way home, I was devastated again by the sight of a young beggar in the Tube station. He had a dog at his side, but what struck me was the home-made sign "I'm hungry. Please help." and the way he held it up mournfully as we descended the stairs and sadly let it fall as the last of us passed. Honestly, it'd break your heart. I debated whether to give him anything, but you're not supposed to give them cash, and the only food I had was the last of the packet of Minstrels. I was so glad though, as my train passed where he was, to see an old man had given him something, and the look of gratitude on his face. I wish him, and the hundreds like him, all the best.

Back too late to blog, as usual. Tonight, I'm off to a play called Joan of Arc - somewhere I've never been before, the New Diorama Theatre. My route seems to take me via Warren Street Station and a short walk - not covered on Streetview though, I've actually had to draw a map!

And tomorrow, I'm off to see Elbow in the Hammersmith Apollo. The second of three shows they're playing there, all three sold out! I went with Viagogo.. I could have got a ticket from them for tonight for about face value, but they insisted on posting them, and I don't trust them after the debacle last time. If they guaranteed couriers, I'd be reassured - but although they advertise couriers, they generally use Royal Mail, who in my experience don't give a hoot whether you get your mail or not. But they did have a ticket - only slightly more expensive - available to pick up tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have to go right into town to get it (must remember to take photo id) then come all the way back out here for the concert. Ah well, I do like Elbow - saw them first as support to U2.

On Thursday, I'm in Guildford, then it's back to Ireland for the weekend. For a rest, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment