Friday 6 February 2015

Concert: Ennio Morricone

I was looking at going to see Ennio Morricone last December, but the concert was cancelled when he was taken ill. He is getting on, after all. When I saw he'd rescheduled for this week, I had no hesitation in booking for last night. Until it came to choosing the ticket. See, every time you log onto Ticketmaster for an event in the O2, there's a warning that the upper of the two levels available to the general public is unsuitable for those with vertigo or fear of heights. Freaked me out, so I ended up paying £30 more for a ticket on the lower level.

Not having been to the O2 before, I looked up my transport options yesterday. Decided that the Tube was the quickest and handiest. Not a difficult journey - District Line to Westminster and Jubilee Line from there to North Greenwich. I left straight from the office, planning to eat at the O2 beforehand - the concert didn't start until 8. I managed to cram onto a packed rush hour District Line carriage, and had breathing space for a few stops, until a crowd got on at South Kensington. It was then rather uncomfortable until I got a seat a couple of stops after that, at Victoria. Which was a couple of stops before I had to change. But the seat was appreciated.

The Jubilee Line was a relief - the trains are one per minute at that time, so less crowded. And they had the air conditioning on ice-cold, which was a relief after the stuffiness of the District Line. About the same distance on each line, and I disembarked at North Greenwich. I had wondered how the directions would be handled, and was impressed - you'd have to be blind not to find the O2, coming from here. Although after you come through the ticket barriers, and come up the escalator, there is a sign in front that's slightly confusing - it mentions the O2, but in the context that you should use the exit behind you for that. But if you're in a rush and flustered, it might cause a moment's confusion.

Once outside, just follow the signs (and the crowds). As I was entering the dome, I finally saw the Up at the O2 - the lift to it is just outside the entrance. This is the attraction where you can climb on top of the O2 - with harness and a guide. Not for me, but interesting to see the climbing ramp. The O2 is structured in such a way that there's an outer and inner dome. Pass through the main entrance, and you come to a large covered area - with restaurants, entrance B to the O2 itself, and the all-important cash machines. Well, I wanted to eat before going in, and I was headed for Entrance H, which meant passing down a whole street full of restaurants. So I passed the first ones I saw, all of which had long queues.

I walked around the O2 for what seemed like ages, passing restaurant after restaurant and their queues. Near the end, I came across two that didn't seem to have queues - Brooklyn Bowl and Water Margin, a Chinese buffet. Then I was at the end of the restaurant stretch. I walked on a bit to make sure there were no more - came across the Cineworld (so that's where it is!) and the toilets. Then decided - it's been a while since I'd had Chinese, and a buffet would guarantee swift service - I'd been warned about that here. So I returned to Water Margin.

The menu and price were ok. There's a bar downstairs - you climb the stairs to the restaurant. When I went in, the room was quite large, and quite empty. I was quickly seated. You give the server your drinks order - they bring that, and you go to the buffet for food. Or there's a section at the side where you can choose your own ingredients and have them cooked in front of you. Some people were doing that, but I decided just to go with the buffet. I chose chicken szechuan and fried rice, with a couple of prawn crackers.

By the time I sat down, my drink had arrived, and the chicken szechuan turned out to be delicious. Rice was a bit chewy. Still peckish, when I'd finished that, I went and got some chicken satay (there's satay sauce to the side, so you can choose the quantity) and some more rather good prawn crackers - again, the chicken was excellent. I know people worry about buffet food- particularly Chinese - but this was really excellent quality. I also believe they were replenishing the food quickly rather than leaving it to settle - the quantities they put out weren't large, and were quickly finished. By the time I got back to my table with my second dish, my plate had been cleared but, in true Chinese fashion, they left my knife and fork for me to re-use.

After that, I fancied dessert - and they have a really good range. Chocolate cake, ice cream you can scoop out yourself, a chocolate fountain so you can have as much chocolate sauce as you please! Also plates of various small delicacies. Really, we were spoiled for choice. Me, I finally decided to snatch the last of the profiteroles - with a good dollop of extra chocolate sauce from the fountain (they were already coated in chocolate sauce). And after that, I was finished. Pay at the cashier on the way out - the meal is a standard £14.80 for an adult dinner, and you give in the drinks card that your server has filled out. Drinks are extra, and you shouldn't lose this - they have a fixed penalty for that. They have a glass of sweets at the till - lift them out with the spoon provided. Yes, I'd be happy to eat there again! Might try the noodles next time, instead of the rice..

I decided to visit the toilet in the exterior section of the O2 before I went in. Well, that was a big mistake.. portaloos with neither light nor toilet paper! Avoid. I decided I didn't need to go that badly, and went through the ticket and bag check. Inside the O2 proper, you head in one direction for standard seating in levels 1 & 4, and in the other direction for levels 2 & 3. I headed up the escalator for Level 1. A further escalator takes you up to level 4. As I walked around the curve of the O2, I was impressed by the facilities - food stalls that would have compensated well enough with fast food if I hadn't got any outside. Plenty of water and other snacks. And toilets, goodee. With a profusion of both light and loo roll. The hand dryers are a bit insipid, but functional.

Inside the venue itself, my row turned out to be the very one below the entrance. So I didn't have to climb any stairs, handily. You know, they have part railings on level 4 - they don't have any on level 1, and I can foresee problems for myself when I come back here for U2, with my fear of steps. Ah well, par for the course for U2 concerts, really.. I see I could probably have managed level 4 last night though. I made my way along to my seat, which had a good view of the stage, despite being at the far end of the arena. Peculiar seat coverings - comfy enough, but kind of waxy - slightly slippy, like vinyl. Spill-proof, I guess! Haven't come across this as a seat covering before.

That section of the row was practically empty - a couple with seats beside me moved further down, since there was space. As I gazed around, I concluded that this is going to be an absolutely awesome venue for U2! Smaller than their normal size of venue, if you're on the lower level this is going to feel really intimate! Well, with their size of show anyway, and especially with the stage running down the centre. Really looking forward to those now!



Last night's concert started soon after - Morricone conducting an orchestra, with choir behind. Large screens on either side of the stage proclaimed the title of each piece - it was harder to read the text underneath, which told the name of the film. And they were all from films, most of which I'd never actually heard of! Of the first numbers, I was familiar with Deborah's Theme, and there were others from Once Upon a Time in America. But it wasn't until the set from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly that I really got into it. As did everyone - The Ecstasy of Gold, from that film, seemed the most popular piece of the night.

After a 20-minute interval, a scrolling advertisement around the led bar at the top of the corporate boxes, and an entertaining usher wandering the aisles yelling "ICE CREAM", the second half featured more music I didn't know, and towards the end, they finally went into The Mission, starting with Gabriel's Oboe. Now, people started leaving at this point. I completely understand the desire to beat the crowds - but at Gabriel's Oboe?! Gee, why bother coming then? Just stay home and listen to the whole thing online, or on cd. That was only the start of songs from The Mission, too.

After rapturous applause and a standing ovation - as befits such a musical legend - he came back for an encore. And after more rapturous applause, and another standing ovation, he came back for another. Now, he had obviously run out of stuff to do by then, and started The Ecstasy of Gold again. Not that I'm complaining - it was just as good the second time around . And when he came back for a third encore, he reprised On Earth as It Is in Heaven, from The Mission. It was 10:30 now, and when he'd finished that, I decided I'd probably heard all there was to hear, and it was time to call it a night. If you're interested, it's on again tomorrow night.

It was funny making my way back to the Tube, along with crowds of scurrying people, all trying to beat the scrum that was to follow. "Crowd Control" signs were lit, people with loudspeakers were directing us. I managed to get on the Tube that pulled up to the platform as I arrived, so no problems - but for U2, I'll be staying until the last minute, and all those shows will have sold out. So, greater crowds. I'll take the express boat into town instead - it takes a little longer, and costs a little more, but it'll be such a heave for the Tube, on the basis of U2 shows I've been to before in London. And the boat is well signposted, in the opposite direction to the Tube - first boats leave 15 minutes after the shows finish.

The Tube was suitably packed, and a poor, small, woman getting on at the next stop looked quite alarmed. Luckily for her, she was getting off not long after. But I was standing till Westminster, and felt it really stuffy. I was delighted to see a Wimbledon-bound train arrive as I came to the District Line platform, and even more delighted to get out into the cold night air at the end of my journey. Yes, the boat would have been preferable..

Too late to blog, of course. My internet connection at home crashed anyway. Coincidentally, today I discovered that one of my colleagues was also at last night's show - had a cheap seat on the upper level, and was upgraded! Grr. Today, I have my pillow with me - I'm off to the Pillow Cinema! Housed in the former Shoreditch Underground Station, the idea is you watch a film, cosied up in a beanbag, with an optional pillow. Drinks are served to your beanbag, and beanbags - which seat one or two - are on a first-come, first-served basis. Blankets, pjs, slippers - all optional. Booking essential - they always sell out. Tonight's film is What We do in the Shadows, and I'm looking forward to it! Must study the directions provided with the ticket.

Tomorrow night, I'm finally heading to something I had considered for last Wednesday - it's the last performance by comedian Carl Donnelly, in the Soho Theatre (Downstairs). And since it's the weekend, I might actually make it there on time, for once!

And on Sunday, I'm off to Singing in the Dark Times, an evening of song about the work of peacekeepers around the world. In aid of Peace Direct. Takes place in Bush Hall, just off Shepherds Bush.. not too far away, and not too late, thankfully, with work the next day.

2 comments:

  1. "And when he came back for a third encore, he reprised On Earth as It Is in Heaven, from The Mission. It was 10:30 now, and when he'd finished that, I decided I'd probably heard all there was to hear, and it was time to call it a night."

    - and you did well; it was the last encore, so you didn't miss anything! Full programme:

    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ennio-morricone/2015/the-o2-arena-london-england-1bca29ec.html

    ReplyDelete