Wednesday 11 February 2015

Play: Joan of Arc

There was a newspaper article last week advising us to keep a finger on the mouse. The gist of the thing was that it's impossible to be socially spontaneous in London anymore - not if you want to go to anything that requires reservation. Plays, concerts, restaurants, all book up weeks, maybe months in advance, and particularly if you want cheaper tickets.

I can't argue there. When I was looking for something for last night, I came across a number of options that sounded really interesting - and were completely sold out for their entire run. However, I don't let that bother me - London is so varied that there's always something fascinating just waiting to be discovered. And so it was that I came across Joan of Arc, playing at the New Diorama Theatre. I haven't been there before - but you know, that's what Google Maps is for. And I've always found the story fascinating. I saw one of the shows had sold out, so I booked.

Google Maps sent me off to Warren Street, via the District and Victoria Lines. Travelling at rush hour meant it was crowded, but I got a seat on the District Line after Earl's Court. The Victoria Line was more packed, and what's more, the signals on that line weren't playing ball, and we stopped twice between each pair of stations. I was glad, finally to get off.

The down escalators weren't working - lucky I was headed up. Once out of the station, I turned left to cross the overpass, then left again onto Euston Road. Lots of skyscrapers around here, lots of glass and chrome. I knew from Streetview to take a right down down an unnamed alley when I came to the next pedestrian crossing. Yup, there it was. I turned down.. it's funny, it doesn't really look like a public thoroughfare. You're passing between office buildings, office workers still at their desks. It's pedestrianised. At the end of the short alley, I found myself in Regent's Place. I've never been here before, and it was quite a surprise for West London - this is more like something you'd find in the financial district, all glass and chrome skyscrapers. What sculpture there is is futuristic, made of the same materials. Anyway, it's quite attractive. And fancy, I never even knew it was there!

The theatre wasn't at all hard to find, just around the corner from the end of the alley. There's a coffee shop in the lobby, but I was only ten minutes early, so collected my ticket and had a seat near the theatre entrance. When you go in, seating is tiered, and unassigned - I got a decently central seat. The seats themselves are comfy, which is handy, considering that this is another two-hour show with no interval. Must be becoming a thing!

So, this is a production of a Friedrich Schiller play. It's a young acting company, and you can tell - but the staging is really imaginative. Literally the only prop they have is a lump of what looks like potter's clay - try making a story outta that! Well, they manage it, with some of the most inventive tricks I've seen in theatre. The story is based on the real-life Joan of Arc, with some differences in her fate; but this play is all about the women. The female characters drive the whole story - they are the only ones who see the truth of what's happening, they are the ones with the courage to affect events, and they lead the male characters around by the nose. We have Joan, we have the Queen Mother, and we have the King's mistress. The Queen Mother double-jobs as the King in this bare-bones production.

They really give it their all. The passion they throw into this is all they have to go on, and it's compelling. It's a fascinating and engaging story, and I heartily recommend it. The company are running a three-play series, and there's a special offer on tickets for all three - included are Romeo & Juliet and The Talented Mr. Ripley. All run until the end of the month. Booking not strictly necessary, at least for Joan of Arc - it was about two-thirds full when I was there, possibly busier at weekends.

Afterwards, I visited the toilets, which are unisex and take the form of four completely self-contained cubicles, with a toilet, handbasin, and all the other essentials. Including an automatic air freshener. When I came out, I decided against returning to Warren Street, with its erratic escalators. I knew from the map that I was closer to Great Portland Street, and decided to make my way back from there. Handily, there are maps in Regent's Place too, to help you orientate yourself. And once in the station, I checked the Tube map and saw I could get a Tube to Edgware Road and change to a District Line straight home. I could've changed further along, but it's handy to change at Edgware Road, which is a District Line terminus, so you can sit in the train while it's getting ready to leave, rather than stand on a cold platform.

Now, last night, I would've gone to see Elbow, if I could - they're playing three nights in the Hammersmith Apollo. But they're completely sold out. Viagogo has tickets, but given my terrible experience with having a ticket posted to me before that I bought from them, I wasn't risking it, and that's all they had available last night. For tonight, however, they had a ticket available to pick up, and that's what I'm doing. Mind you, caveat emptor - they don't tell you until you've booked the ticket where you have to pick it up! I risked it, and it turned out that I have to trek all the way into Soho before the concert, then back out here to go to the show. And you'd think Hammersmith is convenient for me, eh? Anyway, I'm looking forward to the show.

Guildford tomorrow, Ireland for the weekend..

No comments:

Post a Comment