Thursday 30 October 2014

Tour: Necropolis: Journey of the Dead

I love Hallowe'en. I love scaring myself with spooky stories and such, and this is the perfect time of year to indulge. So when Necropolis: Journey of the Dead came up for tonight, the eve of Hallowe'en.. there was no question! I booked online, which was cheaper, and indeed essential - they've now completely sold out for their three-night run, and had sold out for tonight a couple of days ago.

I booked for the 7 to 10.30 session - information emailed to me about a day after I booked explained that I could enter any time up to 10pm, that groups would be up to 12 in size, and that the tour would take 20 minutes. I was not allowed to bring a phone, but there would be lockers to leave things in. Oh, and I'd have to sign a disclaimer. This was making me rather nervous already.. I was also sent a map of where to go to be met, and written instructions.

It was nice tonight, not to have to rush for once. I ate first, took my time, and headed out after 9. I had to go to Waterloo Underground (Exit 7). Ironically, after previous District Line trains this week running slow, tonight we were made to wait for a few minutes to "even out the gaps in the service"! Well, I made my way to Waterloo - couldn't see an "Exit 7", but figured I'd exit the underground at least. Still couldn't see an "Exit 7". I decided my best course of action was to head into the rail station proper - I had plenty of time, it was about 9.45. When I got up to the station, I remembered that the directions said that Exit 7 was opposite Platform 7. I could see 5.. so I went up a bit and found 6.. then 7.. and in the middle of the concourse, stairs down with a sign over them that read "Underground Exit 7". Success!

I walked all around, but couldn't see anything to indicate that this was the place. I checked the instructions again - they said to wait at the bottom of the stairs, by the double doors, to be collected. Ah, fair enough. I went down the stairs, and at the bottom, straight ahead, were double doors, with no-entry signs on them and a poster for Necropolis on one. This was the place, then!

I waited for about five minutes, making sure to walk in view of the security camera, in case that was how they'd know I was there. It probably was - the lady who opened the door didn't look surprised to find me there. She had the devil of a job finding my name on the list though - a friendly, chatty lady, she hadn't a good word for the booking department. Indeed, my name wasn't on the printed list, but she was delighted I'd brought my printed ticket (as you're supposed to!) and then found my name on a supplementary, handwritten list on a scrap of paper. Fine! I was ticked off. I'd left my bag behind, figured that was handier, so I could go straight in. I also got a wristband:


She led me to a rather dark flight of stairs. There are several short flights of stairs during this trip, although there's always a wall or rail to steady yourself, so not too bad. Lighting is poor though - probably deliberately. She told me to go through the door at the bottom, just before the light, and follow the voice. Easy to do. This is the waiting area, where people are entertained and get to watch a silent film projected on the wall while they wait.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about what happened, on the off-chance that someone reading this will be going over the next couple of days. Suffice to say that I have seen more professional efforts, but the surroundings are so creepy in themselves that they do most of the work of scaring you. There are so many pitch-black corners, the lighting is generally so bad, and the passageways so narrow that you're always on edge for something to happen. They have various actors - some playing deliberate roles, to describe the history, while others are there to growl and jump at you. Some of it was rather cheesy, but a couple of things were very well done, and unique in my experience. I wouldn't recommend it for the very fat or tall amongst us, because of some of the places you have to squeeze through. Most people should be fine, though.

By the end, we were gasping for air - what with having been chased (mildly - no running required, just trotting) and the musty air down there. I was glad to get to the fresh air of the Tube, would you believe! And I felt grimy for some time afterwards - it is dusty down there, albeit not too much, but you are glad to get out of it. That isn't to say we didn't enjoy it though - we were all giggling as we poured back out into the station again. Some of that was nervous laughter, but we really had a ball! And we spontaneously applauded the guy who'd let us out, even though he'd already disappeared back the way we came. I give the overall experience 6/10 for scare value, 8/10 for entertainment. Funnily enough, I had expected more scares - there were spots on the tour that must have been designed with pop-up ghosts in mind, and I kept expecting them in vain. Still, we did have some.

We weren't the last group of the night, although it was now 10.35. They're not too strict on the rules - my group had 15 people, and our tour must have lasted for 40 minutes, not 20! As I say, now sold out for the remaining two days. But if you are going, you'll have a blast!

Of course, I spent quite a while looking for things to do for Hallowe'en itself. There's plenty on, but some things I wasn't into, others were sold out. I've pretty much decided to go to a film - it's been a while now! Horror, of course, for the day that's in it. Far and away the highest rated horror film is The Babadook, so it's looking like that for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment