Wednesday 29 October 2014

Concert: Shakespeare: the Kings

I booked Shakespeare: the Kings the very night before I heard about Hard Facade's next gig, also tonight. Hey-ho, the Shakespeare concert sounded good.. and had the advantage of being in Cadogan Hall - way closer.

Bit of deja-vu tonight. Not only would I be meeting Henry V again - he showed up in James I: the Key Will Keep the Lock on Monday night as well - but even the District Line was in on it. On Monday night, the platform indicator said the train would terminate at Mansion House. The train had other ideas - the indicator on the front said it was going to Tower Hill. Shortly down the line, the driver announced that this train was running a bit late (the District Line?! Surely not!!) and would terminate at Mansion House.

Tonight, the platform indicator said the train would terminate at Mansion House. The train had other ideas - the indicator on the front said it was going to Tower Hill. Shortly down the line, the driver announced that this train was running a bit late and would terminate at Mansion House.

Both nights, it got me to where I was going. However, in future, if I'm going past Mansion House, I might choose alternative transport..

Cadogan Hall is lovely and close to Sloane Square station. Just as well, considering the amount of time we spent paused at stations as we meandered to Sloane Square. (Gee, wonder why the train was delayed..?) Just turn right upon exit, and you can see it - it's the building straight ahead, up a side street, with a large clock tower. Also just as well, considering that yesterday's drizzle, which started again about 11am today and didn't stop thereafter, had now turned into a full-blown downpour. As I crossed the road to the hall, I could hear the announcement to "..please take your seats, as tonight's performance is about to commence". Lordy. Mind you, I kept hearing that same recorded announcement as I dashed to the box office, round the lobby of this convoluted building, and up the stairs - the entire concert hall is upstairs. I did have time to take my seat, turn off my phone, take off my coat, and draw breath before the concert started.

My seat was unfortunate, really. I do remember the seating plan showing I'd be at the side of the stage, but I didn't realise that my eyeline would be level with the performers' feet! Anyway, my vantage point allowed me to read the score of the musician nearest me (I was quite close to the stage), so I could read that we were to start with the score of Richard III. Which was nice, considering that I hadn't bought a programme, and nobody bothered to introduce the concert! When the music started, shortly thereafter, I was to find that the percussion section was in precisely the right location to deafen my right ear. Then the monologue started. I hadn't realised there was to be one from Richard III as well..

So, the music was lovely. The percussion was nice and loud.. and the monologue was the opening speech of the play. Delivered by one Simon Russell Beale, as were all the monologues. His delivery was.. actorly. To me, however, it was somewhat lacking in conviction. It's all very well reading something in a booming voice. I could read the phone book in a booming voice. Wouldn't impart any meaning to it though.. Oh, and he's a very loud breather.

The lady sitting outside me had eloped to a better seat just before the show started, and I thought I'd follow her example at the interval. There were quite a few free seats. I had my eye on a row in the centre section, in front of the stage, that seemed to have several. At the interval, I moved to it. Well, it was so much better! I didn't have to turn to see the stage (the seat I booked faces forward, it's just that the stage was extended for this show). I could see so much more from the centre section! This seat had been unoccupied the whole first half. Imagine my dismay when its owner came to reclaim it, explaining that she hadn't been there for the first half! I could've moved further along the row, but didn't, and without a clear knowledge of exactly what seats were free, I ended up back in my own row after the interval. In the aisle, this time, at least.

The second half saw an introduction to the entire show. "We are.." and "this is what we're doing". Honestly. The conductor even explained what the actor was doing there, as if we hadn't noticed. I also noticed that a choir had materialised in the gallery. There had been audience members there during the first half - I wondered what had happened to them. Perhaps they ate them, I cannot say.

So, this bit of the show dealt with Henry V. I've seen neither the play nor any film of this - I don't like its triumphalist tone. Unfortunately, the monologues, more frequent than in the first half, reminded me why I haven't seen it - I just found them arrogant and irritating. They did improve a bit once he'd won the battle, and started preaching peace, as though all this fighting was an annoyance he'd come across, and nothing to do with anything he'd done. Classic bully, really - nice as pie once he gets his way.

I was glad to get my coat on at the end - it was quite cool in the hall, and I wonder whether the heating was even on - or maybe it's a hard room to heat; the ceiling is very high. Anyway, by the time I got out, I was still mildly miffed, and avoided the lady outside, who was distributing fliers. Unfortunately, she chased me down the road and insisted on offering me one. "I missed you!" No dear, there is a reason why I avoided you. It's not like I didn't notice you, you know? Nothing personal, I just prefer to get my information online - I have far too many paper products to wade through.

At least the rain had stopped.

Well, I was delighted, when I exited the Tube at my local station, to see that fog had descended. Nice Hallowe'en weather - and just in time, too! Starts tomorrow for me, with Necropolis; Journey of the Dead. I can show up any time between 7 and 10, apparently.. it's sold out though, so I won't leave it too late, just in case there's a glut..

No comments:

Post a Comment