Tuesday 14 October 2014

Concert: Rolando Villazón

Tonight, I went to a recital by Mexican tenor Rolando Villazón, accompanied by South African soprano Pumeza Matshikiza, in the Royal Festival Hall in the Southbank Centre. I booked the last seat available in the side stalls - cheapest seat left in the house!

It's kinda nice, going to the Southbank Centre. This is only the second time I've been here, but I pass it all the time, going to the National or the BFI. So it's that little bit closer, and that little bit less stressful to get to. Also, you access it from one level above ground, so you only have to climb half as far down from, or up to, the bridge - it's right beside it, and there are stairs leading directly between the centre and the bridge.

There's a very 70s feel to the place. I've never been to the Festival Hall before - when I was here last, I was in the adjoining Queen Elizabeth Hall. So I was glad to be a little early. Anyhoo, the box office was easy to find. The queue was a bit confusing, the queue for prepaid ticket collection clashing with the "Press & Guests" queue (much longer!). But I didn't have to wait long, and the guy at the box office, looking at the details on my ticket (Blue Entrance, Door B, Level 4 - how detailed!), gestured over his shoulder, indicating that I should head in the direction behind him, and make for Level 4. I wandered off in that direction, in the large and confusing foyer, and sure enough, came to a flight of stairs with a sign indicating "Blue, Door B". I climbed up about four flights before I came to the right level.

I dithered for a minute, then bought a programme, and made my way in. The side stalls were just to the left of the entrance - four rows, from W to Z (at the back). I was Y. Seating was simple and comfortable. Again, a very 70s feel to the staircase, the seating, the overall design. We were below the boxes, and could see from the identical seating arrangement on the other side of the stage just how they were laid out. I would've liked to get a box.. more expensive, though. As it was, they really should have said that the side stalls have restricted view. Certainly, Rows X and Y have a view restricted by the railing at the edge.

The house was pretty full, but not completely. We had a side view of the stage - unfortunately, the singers came onstage and left the stage from our side, which meant we missed a lot, as they tended to hang around there, when not centre-stage. Too close to the ledge for us to be able to see what they were doing, and we missed a lot of physical jokes.

Well, they gave a bravura performance. I was glad of my programme - I didn't actually recognise most of the operas, let alone the arias, and the programme not only listed both, but gave the lyrics and their English translations. My favourites, naturally, were from the operas I recognised - La Boheme, L' Elisir d' Amore: I also loved the last number, "Sí, Torero Quiero Sé", from El Gato Montés. They were joined by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra. Which brings me to a bugbear of mine - the singers were consistently drowned out by the orchestra right behind them. This is natural enough - I know they're strong singers, but to compete with all of that lot..! Why, oh why, not mic them up?

The encores went on and on, and the reception was rapturous. They even sang a bit in Pumeza's native language, Xhosa. They're off on a tour of Austria and Germany now.

As I crossed the bridge on my way home, the same busker as usual, at the top of the steps on the south side, gave us his usual saxophone version of Baker Street. Can't say I'm mad about his version, which is unfortunate, as it's one of my all-time favourite songs. Also because, the last several times I've come this way, he's been there, with the same version of the same song.. Speaking of buskers, someone was banging away on what sounded like a tin drum as we stopped in Sloane Square. Very loudly, and he quite unnerved a couple of pensioners sitting near me. Indeed,  we were there for a while - maybe the driver was enjoying it - and the fellow opposite me nearly got off to have words! but then the doors closed and we were off again, safely and quietly. As the drummer sat on his bench on the platform and grinned broadly.

Off to the opera again tomorrow - and another I hadn't heard of: The Girl of the Golden West, by Puccini. Showing at the Coliseum, and I got a seat near the entrance at the back, on consideration of the steep steps without handrails. Bought my ticket from TheatrePeople, and would you believe.. they posted it! Who does that, these days?!

No comments:

Post a Comment