Thursday 11 July 2013

Film: Stories We Tell

Heard great reviews of Stories We Tell, so was keen to see it, and delighted to get the chance this evening. Turns out it's a series of interviews, conducted by a young Canadian film-maker with members of her family and family friends, about her late mother, and the big family secret. Which I won't divulge here.

But it's quite charming, as are the participants, and it holds the interest. The official critics make a big thing about differing family views of the same events, but frankly I couldn't see them so much. There are some subtle differences, but no glaring inconsistencies. This isn't a tell-all expose, but it does make for an interesting story and I can recommend it.

It's no reflection at all on the film that I practically fell asleep at one point - has more to do with spending the last couple of nights coughing. Still, I seem to be on the mend now.

Ate afterwards in the Black Bean again. I notice the food has improved! but the service was very perfunctory. I guess it's the busy season..

So, I plan to get through some of my film list in the next while, having not managed it for some time now. Of course, the listings change tomorrow and in checking ratings of the new films, I'm still only down to H. So it's something of a mystery what I'll be going to tomorrow night! Only adds to the fun..

No comments:

Post a Comment