Sunday 14 July 2013

Film: Now You See Me

Regular, eagle-eyed readers will notice that this film is not the one I thought yesterday that I'd be going to today! This is true..

The film I was supposed to be going to was on in town at 4. I left home at about 3.10, made it to the Tube at about 3.15, caught a Tube at about 3.20. We were at the next stop, Earl's Court, at about 3.25. So far so good.

..and there we stayed. And waited, in the sweltering heat. After about 10 minutes, the driver came on the PA to tell us that there was a signal failure at the next stop, and he didn't know when we'd be underway again. I waited another five minutes, then, noting that if we didn't leave immediately I'd be late, and with no indication of when we might leave, I myself left. On foot. Back home. At least I was close enough to walk.

Mind you, by the time I did get home I was drenched in sweat - 30 degrees again today. Checked my film list for an alternative. The first three films are only showing tomorrow. So that brought me down to the two rated at 7.5 / 10 on IMDB - Much Ado About Nothing and Now You See Me. This was a choice I'd been expecting to make on Tuesday. On balance, I decided on Now You See Me - I'll see the other on Tuesday, all going well. This choice of film did have the advantage that the film is showing locally and I could walk. Signals not an issue, whereas I could have had serious trouble getting into town for the other one. And there was a showing in about an hour - excellent! Now, both of these are showing in the Odeon, and I have an Odeon voucher - but when I checked, it's only valid Monday to Thursday. Fine, I can use it on Tuesday.

So along I went shortly after, and collected the ticket I'd booked in advance (I get a discount with Odeon for that, being a member). Passing through the lobby, after all that walking in the heat, I fancied an ice cream - lighted on Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie. And waited to pay. And waited.. Honestly, I don't know what it is with the staff in the Odeon Kensington, but they're hopeless at serving! Usually, I can't get anyone to take my ticket, although there tend to be plenty of people at the tills. Today, of course, there were all of three people waiting to take tickets, but was there anyone on the tills?! Had to wait some minutes before being served. Then the poor fellow was confused that I didn't want a cinema ticket, not that he said it - but after taking for the ice cream, he said he hoped I'd enjoy.. my evening. Obviously not wanting to say "the film", just in case I wasn't seeing one..

I do like that the Odeon has done away with specific seat reservations. It was very annoying, having to choose your seat in advance without necessarily knowing where was a good place to sit. And so to the film - now, this is a very good film indeed! and what a nice change, to see something classifiable as a major Hollywood release, and which is actually worth seeing. Stars plenty of people you'll recognise; Jesse Eisenberg (who played Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network, but whom I didn't recognise for most of the film), Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson, and some guy I didn't recognise play talented magicians who are recruited by a mysterious figure to rob banks during their shows and distribute the proceeds to the audience. Mark Ruffalo is the FBI agent out to get them, Mélanie Laurent (whom you might know from Inglourious Basterds) the Interpol agent who gets involved when they rob a French bank, Michael Caine is their backer, and Morgan Freeman the man who makes a living from exposing magicians' tricks, and is out to get them in that way.

It's a glorious piece of misdirection, this film - right to the end. The actors are misdirected, and so are we. Even the magicians who are stars of the show don't really know what's going on until the last few minutes of the film. And the shows themselves are spectacularly staged - it's just like going to a big Vegas production. The film is packed with magic tricks, old and new, and will be a delight in particular to anyone with any interest in magic. Go see - this is an unusually good film, for a major release.

Right - films for the next couple of days. Tomorrow's is (ahem) Little Dieter Needs to Fly. Well, it is top of the list.. as long as it stays there, that's on the menu for tomorrow. Assuming I can get into town. And, as I say, Much Ado About Nothing for Tuesday, which is the original Shakespearian text in a modern setting. The trailer looks gorgeous - looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment