Saturday 13 July 2013

Film: Bande a Part

On a day when it's actually too hot to be outdoors, I took myself to the Cine Lumiere in the Institut Francais to see Bande a Part, part of the Paris Seen By.. season. Mind you, it's odd that the season home page quotes a price of £8 per film, whereas I had to pay £10. But never mind..

Not a long journey, thankfully. The building was cool, but the cinema quite airless in the beginning, until - I don't know what they did, open the door, turn on a fan - but there was a nice cooling breeze. The film itself is a quirky crime comedy/drama from 1964, set in Paris, where a naïve young girl allows herself to be taken in by two crooks who have designs on the money kept in his room by her aunt's lodger. Things don't turn out happily - not for everyone, at least - but the film is stylish and cute, and very watchable. I do love that London cinemas, Cine Lumiere among them, continue to resurrect these older films. It's always interesting to watch the world that existed before my time - and something made then, as opposed to just being set then.

Going to another film - Los Olvidados - in the BFI tomorrow. Hey, it's great to be getting through my list! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment