Tuesday 16 July 2013

Film: Much Ado About Nothing (2012)

I was very keen to see the new film version of Much Ado About Nothing, after seeing the trailer - particularly upon discovering that they use the original text, in a modern setting. I always think that makes it more striking.

So, off I went to see it this evening. Glad I arrived early, as I had a voucher and they'd never seen one before.. anyway, they figured out what to do with it and in I went, to a gloriously cool, air-conditioned, cinema. And o my, but what an excellent production this is! It's quite modern and un-self-affected, quite cool and laid-back (for the most part), the actors are charming, the soundtrack is great, and their take on the play is so sparkling and fresh. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is one of the most natural renderings of Shakespeare I've seen, which makes this, one of the most enjoyable of his plays, a joy to watch.

Now, I'm becoming very impressed with Joss Whedon. I hadn't realised, but this guy co-wrote The Cabin in the Woods, one of the most original horror films in existence. And he directed this version of Much Ado about Nothing, adapted the play for screen, and even composed a couple of tracks on the soundtrack. Round of applause, please! I shall keep an eye out for that name in future.

Tied up for the next couple of nights, and back to Ireland at the weekend. Could be going to yet another film on Monday, but no idea what yet.. watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment