Thursday 9 March 2023

Play: Brilliant Jerks

Tonight, my final booking - for the week - with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), for Brilliant Jerks at Southwark Playhouse. And wouldn't you know it, I still had credit on my Pay as you Go subscription, so got it for free! Looked like it'd be just me and the organiser, but at the last minute, we had another subscriber. Great to see her again, too!

Earlier, I got a warning email from the theatre, to warn me to ensure I was going to the right venue.. they have a new one new, down the road.

My way to the quickest bus took me by The Lucas Arms, so I ate there. Decided I'd had enough steak and ale pie for the moment, and had the roast chicken instead.. I'll be back to the pie next, it's more substantial than what I had. Anyway, just as I arrived, so did a group called the Acrobats - looked like visually impaired people, all accompanied by seeing minders! They go out regularly for a meal, it seems - great facility for them.

And so to the theatre, where I arrived ridiculously early - fine, it had been a stressful day at work, I could do with chilling. They still have the sign saying to "check in at the box office" - so I did, and he spent ages looking for a ticket that I had on my phone! "Oh, you have an e-ticket!" sez he. "Go on in then!" Really, they should take down that sign..

I was early enough to get a seat at a table, which filled up with sundry people. Who all eventually dissipated - and indeed, the place was beginning to empty by the time my companions arrived! The other show starts earlier, you see. And we chatted happily until it was time to go in.

Seating was unassigned - we ended up in the second row:


Funky desk - appropriately for a tech environment. Because, you see, this is about the founders of a kind of taxi app - yeah, we all know it's Uber. It's really interesting - and really true-to-life, from my experience. The three actors switch roles - sometimes representing the cuttthroat board of the company, sometimes the programmers, dealing with a troublesome manager - sometimes the drivers, with their variety of experiences.

It's notable that they mention both ADHD and autism - tech is known to be a good career for people who fall into both categories. They're social conditions, characterised by a difficulty in social situations: and work that has you staring at a computer screen minimises social interactions. (I always remember a cartoon, years ago, with a kid playing videogames, watched over by his optimistic parents, who dream of him earning a six-figure salary for shooting aliens. Well gee, truth is stranger than fiction - that's exactly what happened..)

Mix into that a toxic corporate culture, led by people who had a bright idea one day and made millions from it, so they think they can do no wrong! (It's not unheard of - one guy from my class in college started his own tech company, sold it to a multinational, and retired on the proceeds. He was 25.) And on top of that, consider the drivers, at the frontline - the company depends on them, but do they recognise that? Not a bit of it - they live in a different world.

So - brilliant, but jerks. It's a very rounded look inside a major tech company - fast-paced and clever, finding the nub of every situation it handles. Perhaps better appreciated by those who work in the industry, but still a nice piece of work. Runs till the 25th - check it out!

Tomorrow, it's back to Ireland for the weekend again. Now that the film listings are finally out for there, at the top of the list was one I hadn't heard of. My Sailor, My Love is an Irish, geriatric love story - a crusty old ex-sailor is looked after by his daughter, who gets in a housekeeper (Brid Brennan, looking a lot older than when I last saw her, in Brooklyn). The last thing she's expecting is for them to fall in love.. This is showing in the Odeon Limerick.

Ah, but yesterday they finally released a rating for the newly released Scream VI! And it's a lot higher-rated - although it dropped a lot on its first day. Still, let's hope it stays at least as high as the other choice - I'd much rather see this, frankly! It moves the action to New York, where the survivors of the original killers have moved to start a new life - still has Courteney Cox, of course, and the classic Scream masks.. and this one is in Ennis, which is quicker to get to. And with a choice of showings.. Contains strobe lighting, by the look of one of the trailers.

On Monday, I'm also planning film. And with the London listings finally out (partially), I plumped for A Guilty Conscience, a Hong Kong film about a lawyer whose negligence gets an innocent woman convicted - so he sets out to put things right. Showing in the Odeon Haymarket - cheaper to book online, so I have.

On Tuesday, I was to go with The Hideout: Horror Sci-Fi Club London to a talk at the Horse Hospital, entitled Raising Hell, about horror and the British film industry in the 1980s. Bought a ticket - and then the organiser said he can't make it. I already have a ticket, of course - so I'll be going anyway. And the annoying thing is, he's deleted the event completely! It might have been nice to meet others who could still make it, you know..! This isn't the first time he's done this, apparently. Well, at least it seems to be close to me.

On Wednesday, back with UITCS for Medea, with Sophie Okonedo, at Soho Place.

Next Thursday, it's back to the Vault Festival - for Happy Factory, who have an airealist show. Not suitable for young children, apparently..

Now, the 17th is Paddy's Day. But for once, I'm not doing anything related - I'm back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for a performance of Beowulf, at King's Place. Two Danish storytellers, it seems.

On the 18th - awesome! Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners have a walk I haven't done, and which is scheduled for a day I can make it. How unusual.. This is Clubland: Secrets of the Gentleman's Clubs. I hear there was supposed to be yet another rail strike that day, but not now..

And what a very good job it's in the afternoon - because that evening is a performance, in conjunction with the CCC, of Medusa, again at King's Place! An unusual take on it, from the evidence of last night's storytelling..

On the 19th, London Walks, Art & Culture Explorers are going on a Quirky London walk. And so am I.

On the 20th, back with UITCS for a play called Women, Beware the Devil, set in the year 1640 - showing in the Almeida.


Back with UITCS for the next two days - on the 22nd, it's for comedian Rosie Holt at the Leicester Square Theatre.

On the 23rd, I'm at Further Than the Furthest Thing, at the Young Vic. Then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 27th, I've booked with the Happy Positive Group! For their weekly Monday trivia night! They seem to be completely online, and frankly, the chances of me attending this are slim. But we'll see.

On the 28th, I've booked for Phaedra, at the National.

On the 29th, I'm going with UITCS to Sadler's Wells - first time in an age - for Creature, by Akram Khan! I absolutely love his work. Handily enough, I used my latest Theatre Token for this - would have used it for Phaedra, but while neither theatre takes them online (you have to phone if you want to use a token), the National charges extra for phone bookings. So I used it for this instead.

And on the 30th, back with the London European Club, at somewhere called the Ugly Duck, for Synchrony, a female 12-piece string ensemble. Tickets from Eventbrite. As hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn again! So glad to see her hosting events in more central locations..

No comments:

Post a Comment