Friday 3 March 2023

Opera: Lucrezia Borgia

Tonight, ended a run of Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) with Lucrezia Borgia, by the English Touring Opera Company, at the Hackney Empire. I thought I'd get a meal up there - but I left it a bit late, and as I waited interminably to cross the road - the traffic lights taking much longer than usual to work in my favour - lots and lots of buses I could have taken sailed by. So, by the time I finally got across, it would have taken ages to get a bus up there. Given that I wanted to eat too, I decided on Tube + bus.

Then, wouldn't you know it, the bus stop I wanted was closed! Or at least, had all sorts of signs on it, saying it was - so I walked on to the next. I'm not actually sure that stop is closed - it says nothing about it online. I've complained - I'll get a reputation with TFL, I've complained so much! Anyway, at least my bus didn't pass me on the way.

Google Maps estimated I'd still make it in time to eat - I didn't. Blame it on terrible traffic in Shoreditch. Meanwhile, en route, a guy got on with the cutest little Yorkie dog, complete with a little topknot, staring eagerly at everyone.. aww. Which was just fine, until the elderly lady sitting in front of me spotted it. She was sitting just beside the wheelchair area, where dog and companion were standing. "OH NO!", she exclaimed, "Don't let it bite me!" whereupon the person attached to the dog obligingly backed off - as much as he could; the bus was crowded. As soon as a seat came free further back, she dashed to it - just in case the tiny creature mauled her. Honestly, I sympathise in that I guess she might have once had a traumatic experience with a dog - but could people with dog phobias not recognise them as the unrealistic fears they are, and stop making things harder for dogs and their accompanying humans? The dog could honestly hardly have been less threatening. Really, I'd be more scared of the old lady..

As I say, I didn't have time for a proper meal - and the area is shockingly bereft of cafes. I ended up heading into a local supermarket and grabbing a snack - which I hid on myself as I went in, although, as it happened, there was no bag check. Lots and lots of stairs followed, to the Upper Circle - I got a drink, and propped myself against the shelf in front of the bar, where I met the others. Some of whom I hadn't seen in ages! and we chatted until it was time to take our seats.


Mine was a peculiar seat - I ended up swinging my legs, feet well off the floor. Which, again, was fine, except that the hard edge of the seat kind of cut into my legs.. I was a bit stiff by the time the interval rolled around, and glad to move again. Same when I was leaving - I can't fault the legroom, really, with space to swing your legs - but neither did I find the seat properly comfortable. Ah well..

I was glad I had glasses on - you see the teeny screen in the photo? That's what the captions were displayed on - and all they were displayed on. The singing, however, was gorgeous, the music and sets lovely - and how lovely that it starts in Venice, giving them the excuse to wear masks as they go about their nefarious doings. And what a tale of dodgy dealings this is, with people being assassinated right, left, and centre - ah yes, the reputation of the Borgias precedes them. Having said that, it's perhaps somewhat exaggerated - and certainly, that of Lucrezia, who probably suffered by association with the sort who would give the Mafiosi pause for thought.. Mind you, I kept remembering the Showtime series on the family, which I enjoyed greatly, and can highly recommend.

Anyway, this was one night only, I'm afraid. But I was very glad to catch it! Got buses back home, with less drama.

Tomorrow, back cat-herding - Ivan suggested that whole day for, well, a lot of drinking. And food - he wanted to go back to O' Neill's. Well, he got in touch. To say that, unfortunately, he can't now make it. My other coworker from that company still can, though - as they've both said, it's been so long since they actually met each other! They can never seem to coordinate.. The third person I invited finally let me know he can't make it either, so it's just the two of us again, as so often.

On Sunday, back with Discover London at last - she does excellent walks, but sometimes they clash, and sometimes they sell out before I get to them! This one is Discover Historic Chelsea: From Quaint to Quant - 1660s to 1960s.

On Monday, back with - you guessed it - UITCS, for Romeo and Julie, at the Dorfman.

On Tuesday - not so much appealed on MeetupFree Stuff and Free Events does have Free Community Singing with Ros Hone and the Global Fusion Sound Singers, which you can attend on Zoom, or in person at Fossdene School Community Hall. Which sounds just fine - except that this is the sort of thing I keep cancelling! So I decided not to confirm until nearer the time. Which is just as well, because - predictably last-minute - Eleanor Salter Thorn, from Tuned In London, just advertised an evening of Iranian music with Shahab Azinmehr, with the World Music Meetup. I adore this kind of music - and for once, it's not all the way out in Rotherhithe! It's just such a trek.. no, this is in St. Ethelburga's Centre for Reconciliation and Peace. Which, ironically, is just down the road from where I last lived.. anyway, much closer than usual for these concerts! Refugees and asylum seekers get free tickets.

On Wednesday - back with the Crick Crack Club, woohoo! for Goddesses in the Garden, at the Chelsea Physic Garden. Features my favourite, Clare Murphy, along with Sarah Liisa WilkinsonLaura Sampson, and Xanthe Gresham.

On Thursday, my final booking - for the week - with UITCS, for Brilliant Jerks at Southwark Playhouse. And wouldn't you know it, I still had credit on my Pay as you Go subscription, so got it for free! And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment