Monday 13 March 2023

Film: A Guilty Conscience

This evening, back in London, I planned film. And with the London listings finally out (partially), I plumped for A Guilty Conscience, a Hong Kong film about a lawyer whose negligence gets an innocent woman convicted - so he sets out to put things right. Showing in the Odeon Haymarket - cheaper to book online, so I did.

The last showing of the day was quite early - so I nipped out a bit early from work, and got there slightly late, arriving during the ads. Being a Luxe, I could have a glass of wine, and I did - he didn't ask what film I was going to until I ordered that. Wonder whether they wouldn't let me take it into a film for kids..? Anyway, I settled into my comfy recliner. Which was fine, until some guy sat in the seat beside me, and mansplained.. you know that phenomenon on planes, where people in adjacent seats end up fighting over the armrest? Same - he even spread his legs off his recliner to the side. And proceeded to check his phone, all through the film. There are no words..

Well. This is a cracking story, for sure - what starts out as an open-and-shut case turns out quite different, and when our protagonist starts getting invested in it, he uncovers web upon web of deceit. The audience is kept guessing, too - the story is worthy of Agatha Christie. A real edge-of-the-seat drama, to the end, and while many leads could result in the result being overturned, what actually happens is quite poetic. And that's why it has such a high rating. Only thing is, they kind of overplay it - yes, the story is excellent, but gee, the soundtrack is melodramatic! Add to that a completely OTT scene with a Hong Kong gang threatening him, in an incident totally unrelated to the main story, and a hammy performance from the American guy - and it's a shame, because, just toned down a bit, this could have been so much better. Still worth seeing for the plot alone, though!

Afterwards, I didn't fancy eating anywhere around, when I knew I could be fed better, and cheaper, at O' Neill's, which was on my way - so that's where I went. Thought I'd never get there, mind, the traffic was so bad..

Tomorrow, I was to go with The Hideout: Horror Sci-Fi Club London to a talk at the Horse Hospital, entitled Raising Hell, about horror and the British film industry in the 1980s. Bought a ticket - and then the organiser said he can't make it. I already have a ticket, of course - so I'll be going anyway. And the annoying thing is, he's deleted the event completely! It might have been nice to meet others who could still make it, you know..! This isn't the first time he's done this, apparently. Well, at least it's really close to me.

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Medea, with Sophie Okonedo, at Soho Place.

On Thursday, it's back to the Vault Festival - for Happy Factory, who have an airealist show. Not suitable for young children, apparently..

Now, Friday is Paddy's Day. But for once, I'm not doing anything related - I'm back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for a performance of Beowulf, at King's Place. Two Danish storytellers, it seems.

On Saturday - awesome! Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners have a walk I haven't done, and which is scheduled for a day I can make it. How unusual.. This is Clubland: Secrets of the Gentleman's Clubs. I hear there was supposed to be yet another rail strike that day, but not now.. and the poor chap seems to be having terrible trouble getting people to confirm whether they're coming for lunch after. I know that feeling..

And what a very good job it's in the afternoon - because that evening is a performance, in conjunction with the CCC, of Medusa, again at King's Place! An unusual take on it, from the evidence of Wednesday's storytelling..

On Sunday, London Walks, Art & Culture Explorers are going on a Quirky London walk. And so am I.

Next Monday, back with UITCS for a play called Women, Beware the Devil, set in the year 1640 - showing in the Almeida.

On the 21st, I've booked with The London Palestinian Rights Meetup Group for Taking Sides – A Conversation about Love, War, and Changing the World. Happening at Amnesty International UK. But you know, I might just go to a film instead.. you'll have gathered by now that I didn't get to Scream VI yesterday, I figured it'd be too much of a rush. Currently still top of the list, so if nothing exceptional knocks it off its perch, that might be a good day to see it..

Back with UITCS for the next two days - on the 22nd, it's for comedian Rosie Holt at the Leicester Square Theatre.

On the 23rd, I'm at Further Than the Furthest Thing, at the Young Vic. Then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 27th, I booked with the Happy Positive Group! For their weekly Monday trivia night! They seem to be completely online. But wow, just looking at it, they seemed to have switched that week to the next day! Although, having cancelled my attendance, I now notice that all Meetups are displaying in the wrong time zone, so are shown as starting four hours later than they actually are.. Well, I probably wouldn't have gone anyway. The best Meetup left for that day is with the Shanty Singers Colliers Wood. This is another of those things I once booked and ended up cancelling, so I'll hold off on booking that till nearer the time. As is becoming usual.

On the 28th, I've booked for Phaedra, at the National.

On the 29th, I'm going with UITCS to Sadler's Wells - first time in an age - for Creature, by Akram Khan! I absolutely love his work. Handily enough, I used my latest Theatre Token for this - would have used it for Phaedra, but while neither theatre takes them online (you have to phone if you want to use a token), the National charges extra for phone bookings. So I used it for this instead.

On the 30th, back with the London European Club, at somewhere called the Ugly Duck, for Synchrony, a female 12-piece string ensemble. Tickets from Eventbrite. As hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn again! So glad to see her hosting events in more central locations..

I was keeping the 31st free because Ivan is feeling thirsty again. :-) And for once, he seems to be sticking to the date, having booked us a table at The Lucas Arms (which, as he pointed out, has a smoker's area). We're hoping to have Martin - my other friendly ex-boss - join us, but he has more family commitments, so we'll just have to wait and see. And this looks like turning into the first zapoi in a while - he's talking about booking a studio, where we can drink overnight. Oy ve, watch this space.. So, not pushed about doing anything extra on the 1st.

And on the 2nd, I'm back with the CCC, for Orpheus Dismembered, at the British Museum, courtesy of Ben Haggarty.

No comments:

Post a Comment