Friday 12 March 2021

St. Patrick's Festival

Well begorrah, on Wednesday, 'tis St. Patrick's Day! And what with the pandemic raging harder than ever, of course it's all online this year - at least they had more time to prepare than last year! And they've done us proud, with a week's worth of festivities - most available on the festival website, and for free. After a hard week at work, with nothing much to do at the end of today, I said I'd give it a first look..

Gotta say, I love the snake logo. ;-) They give a schedule, but don't worry, you don't have to watch at the time stated - I think that's when the video becomes available. And by the look of it, they've really gone to town, there's so much on.. storytelling by Eddie Lenihan is something I'll definitely keep an eye on - he's the first storyteller I ever saw.

For this evening, I started with a couple of things - first that caught my eye was The Dodgy History of Ireland, whose first episode - St. Brigid - is a witty, tongue-in-cheek animated tour through a mixture of history and legend, and well worth a watch.

And then I spotted the 1916 Walking Tour of Dublin, and decided to watch that as well. Very well done, shot on a lovely sunny day in Dublin (which made me quite nostalgic), we are guided - by a fellow with a strong Dublin accent - past some of the sights of central Dublin that were relevant in the 1916 Rising. The Foggy Dew features as the background music, and the history is recounted in a vivid and entertaining way.

So, both of those highly recommended! But I doubt very much I'll get to everything - there's so much. Well, with the whole country wanting to take part, I guess..

Tomorrow, Up in the Cheap Seats is watching a performance of The Sleeping Beauty, streamed from the Opera House, and available for rental for £3 in the UK, tax added outside the UK. So I've booked that, and will be delighted to join them. Available till the 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment