Saturday 27 March 2021

St. Patrick's Festival: Seoda (Jewels)

It's nearly two weeks now since St. Patrick's Day. And what with the pandemic raging harder than ever, of course it was all online this year - at least they had more time to prepare than last year! And they did us proud, with a week's worth of festivities - most available on the festival website, and for free. I hadn't had time to see everything I wanted to, but luckily, it's still there to watch. And with another lull in programming tonight (repeats, you see), that's what I did.

This time, I started from the top and just picked the first thing that looked interesting. Which is how I came to a little gem of a programme (pun intended) - Seoda (Jewels), which is a music programme, a little under an hour long, featuring artists from Wales, Ireland, and Scotland. Contemporary, but with a traditional feel. I hadn't heard of any of the artists before, but from the lilting tones of the Welsh singer, to the stunning vocals of the Northern Irish one, to the haunting melodies played on the bagpipes.. I've listened to a lot of trad and alternative music programmes before, but this one really made me stop in my tracks.

Very highly recommended - these are the kinds of artists you're liable to seek out afterwards. Truly memorable.

 And yes, there's still plenty on the website for me to check out. Which is probably what I'll end up doing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment