Sunday 6 September 2020

Film: The True Cost

Today, back to film again, and back to Amazon Prime.. I had been thinking of Black Book, but on reflection, I do think that's the one I saw some years ago, and I didn't feel like rewatching it. So that brought me to The True Cost - a documentary about the impact of the fashion trade on the third world.

Curiously, it's less than an hour long - as opposed to the 1.5 hours advertised on IMDB. Definitely the same film, though. And I have to say, I was glad to find that out - frankly, this documentary is a few years old, and we have heard all of this before. And sure enough, I got distracted well before the end. But there are a few interesting aspects to it - the blatant capitalism, for example, of (yes, it would have to be American) newscasters literally espousing the virtues of sweatshops! Smacked to me of the medieval attitude that you should not aspire to be greater than God ordained you to be.. And then there was a piece about Black Friday, cleverly contrasting heaving mobs thronging department stores to the thronged streets of Dhaka - which, as we're told, houses 10% of the world's 40 million workers in garment manufacture.

Reduce, reuse, recycle. Always good to be reminded, I guess. Not the most fun film I've ever seen, of course.

On Saturday, I'm free to be back with London Social Detours again - this time, it's a talk about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - always interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment