Sunday 27 September 2020

Film: The Farewell

Today, on MeetupExperience London Events, Concerts & Parties streamed a concert from the U.S. However, they had the wrong time on it - it obviously happened later in the day here, so at 10pm rather than 10am, as advertised. So, not feasible for me. And London Social Detours was on in the evening, unusually - so I had to resort to film again. I had a few choices, including a couple of films that I heard of, but never got around to seeing. So I picked The Farewell, in which a Chinese family not only cannot bring themselves to tell their grandmother she's dying, but arrange to have a wedding before she passes away.. Available on Amazon Prime.

Wow, I was delighted to see this come up! I remember the trailers being very good, and really wanted to see it when it was out - but you know, there's so much choice in London. And having watched the whole thing.. I can testify, it's terrific! Subtly funny, it made me laugh out loud - several times. It's based on a true story, and the perspective - of the granddaughter raised in the States, who's as much an outsider to this culture as we are - allows us to appreciate the weirdness of her family as she does herself.

Of course, we all lie - all the time: as shown in the very first scene, where the granny phones her granddaughter, to whom she's very close, and asks whether she's wearing a hat, as she's heard New York is very cold. "Yes," she lies, before hearing a strange noise in the background and asking where her granny is. So now granny lies about being round at a neighbour's house, when she's actually at the hospital for a test. And so it goes on. The major lie in the background, of course, underpins every scene - and it is hilarious to watch the family trying to act happy about the upcoming wedding (which has been fast-tracked especially, so those who don't know think the bride must be expecting a baby..). She, by the way, is Japanese - also an outsider, who gives a speech at the reception, for which she must have an interpreter..

It's poignant too, as East and West clash in the form of the granddaughter fighting with the family, who make it a cultural thing to hide this illness from gran. But mainly, this is a really funny film, made with obvious affection. Highly recommended - delighted I got to see it, at last.

Well now, I'm taking this week off work! Simply, I need to use up my leave - and could do with the break. So, expect me to schedule something or other for every day this week. And, for a change, Meetup is providing me with something to do tomorrow! (Not live, mind - they're meeting in the evening again, so I can't meet them, but I can watch the show anytime.) Wouldn't you know it, Up in the Cheap Seats is back to scheduling things online - they took a break from that for a while there; doubtless the increased viral spread prompted their decision to schedule online again. Finborough Theatre is broadcasting a play called Blueprint Medea on YouTube, for free - the theme transmutes the original Medea play to the story of a Kurdish refugee in London. Yippee, it's weeks since I saw a play! And I see the theatre has a few on offer..

No comments:

Post a Comment