Sunday 18 February 2018

The London Chocolate Tour

Today, I did another chocolate tour - different one from before - with Funzing, courtesy of Walking in London. Earlier start, nuts.. well, I was to bed early, though. And with food already bought in, yesterday, I had time to grab something before I headed out.

I was early, which was just as well - the bus was diverted, and with all its twisting and turning, it took longer than it should have. Still, it dropped me at Green Park Station, which was where I needed to be. I was first there - just. Now, of course, I have bad memories of here - as I told the guide, when he arrived, Helen and I were stood just down from where we were today, for 45 minutes, one day last year, waiting for an Underground Treasure Hunt that never happened.. only to be marked as no-shows! We did eventually get a refund, but I won't be booking that again. He said he knows the guy, and that yes, they do tend to meet exactly where we were standing. O well..

Today's walk, I have to tell you, was much more successful. 29 of us in the group, and there have been complaints on Funzing about the large group size, but I didn't honestly find it a problem. He's a former trader in cocoa, he told us, so he knows something about it - and at our first stop, he regaled us with facts. Did you know that most of the world's cocoa comes from Ghana? Or that the inventor of the world's first chocolate bar was Fry's?

Right! Lesson over. After that, it was a day of pure chocaholic's heaven. We hit five stores, getting a free chocolate at each, and 10% off any purchases made on the spot. First to the Queen's chocolatiers, Charbonnel et Walker, in the Royal Arcade. They gave us a lovely, mild sea salt truffle.. but despite the Royal warrant, I wasn't tempted to buy anything.




Next on the list was Queen's choc shop #2, Prestat - which looks like a chocolate box itself, all pink and navy! Located in the Prince's Arcade, they do some unusual flavours, like sake, and a gin truffle that packs a helluva punch. I can testify - I bought one, for £1 (before discount). The one they gave us for free was a regular truffle. If you want to copy the Queen, BTW, these are cheaper than the last place.



#3 - Godiva. Trays were made available with some sort of white chocolate concoction, filled with biscuity stuff - nice, but no dice. I didn't purchase.

#4 was Paul A. Young - we had to go in in two separate groups, and while I waited, I lamented the fact that I've moved out of Soho - I miss it! Here, we were treated to a lecture on how they make the chocolates - on the premises - and offered one of any flavour on the table. Just the one! (I had champagne again.)



Our progress to the next stop was somewhat impeded by the celebration of Chinese New Year - I could see why my bus had been diverted, they closed the whole of Shaftesbury Avenue! As we turned off, I could see my old office building - a sign on it from Tower Demolition. Sad.. We finally made it through to the shop voted as #1 of the world's best chocolatiers - the British-owned Hotel Chocolat! Excellent, I'm quite a good customer of theirs.. anyway, as we browsed, we not only got a free chocolate (champagne truffle again, it's quite popular), but also a free sample of delicious salted caramel hot chocolate (I got two, as they weren't being taken) and a teeny scoop of the thickest ice cream. Ooh yeah.. recommended. As is the tour. Apparently you can now get a 50% discount on their tours, from having already been on one.. hmm, I don't remember that when I was with them before!

Well, with all the shananigans on Shaftesbury Avenue, I quite fancied a Chinese for dinner. So I returned to Chinatown.. where I found myself in a crush of people. Terrible - for future reference, avoid Chinese New Year like the plague. All it was was clanging, noise, an impossible crush, and scared and upset-looking children caught up in it. I was just trying to get through to New Loon Fung - unfortunately, there was a procession, involving a dragon whose job seemed to be to threaten every doorway on Gerrard Street. And when I got there, it was threatening.. New Loon Fung. Spectacular. Well, I waited several minutes until it moved next door, and I could try to get in.. when I saw the queue, stretching up the stairs, I said sod it, and headed for home.

The bus that came was the #55 - and as I sat on it, I reflected that it goes past the office, and there's a Chinese there! So I dragged my weary bones to Old Street Chinese, where I was shown to a table and given a menu - lots of large photos, just to be helpful. I chose - the server passed as I had just chosen, but moved on. I waited.

Pity I hadn't caught her then - she never came back! Seriously, it's years since I had such bad service. Only four tables occupied in the place - including mine; the room was practically empty, and there were two servers - apart from the guy behind the bar - whose sole conversation was obsessed with the fact that the table near me had had a problem with their order (he said "white", the server took it to be something else). They just couldn't stop arguing about it, to the extent that they forgot all about me. As I finally gave up, put on my coat and left, they didn't even notice. Jeez, I won't be back.. got a sandwich in Tesco's, which was delicious, and a fraction of what I'd have paid there.

Tomorrow, I'm back to Showstopper! at the Lyric. (Durnit, another I could've walked to, last year!) No problem seeing this more than once, they base every night's show on audience suggestions (roughly), so it is a different show every night..

On Tuesday, I'm back with North London Friends for A Passage to India, at the Park. Last time I was with them, someone asked me whether I was coming to this, and I said no.. it's hard to keep track, though!

On Wednesday, Up in the Cheap Seats is headed to Picnic at Hanging Rock - nice and close, in the Barbican. I remember this as quite a disturbing film - will be interested to see the stage version.

On Thursday, Up in the Cheap Seats again, for Beats on Pointe. Unfortunately, this is in the Peacock, rather than the closer Sadler's Wells. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 26th, I'm off to see Jake Bugg at the Palladium (yes, another that used to be walking distance..) Honestly, I'd never heard of him, but he sounded ok on YouTube.

On the 27th, an opera in Sanskrit..! without subtitles. Satyagraha is at the Coliseum, and is about Gandhi. So I should figure it out. Gosh, it's ages since I've been there..

On the 28th, Summer and Smoke (Tennessee Williams) at the Almeida. Does include actual cigarette smoke, and a gunshot. North London Friends are going, but charging extra, so I'm going solo. Performance sold out now..

On the 1st, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Bridge Theatre, for what I hear is a stunning performance of Julius Caesar. You get the choice of being part of the crowd - I'm not. Modern setting.

On the 2nd, back with North London Friends, at Hampstead Theatre, for Acceptance.

On the 3rd, Up in the Cheap Seats, and Beginning, at the Ambassadors Theatre. For once, not an official ticket for this - got better value with What's on Stage!

On the 4th, I found another Southwark tour - excellent! The "Family Friendly Liberty of the Clink" tour is run by Walking in London.. therefore Funzing.. and Londonist is involved somewhere too. Hard to keep track of everyone involved in walks.

On the 5th, London European Club is headed to Monologue Slam, an actors' showcase at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East.

On the 6th, Up in the Cheap Seats is at Sadler's Wells for a performance by Ballet British Colombia.

On the 7th, Let's Do This is off to a jazz evening at Two Temple Place. Beautiful venue - should be a lovely evening.

On the 8th, Walking Victorian London is running a walk around Il Quartiere - Tales from Italian Clerkenwell. Excellent - I've had my eye on that for a while. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 12th, London Dramatic Arts is at Caroline, or Change, at Hampstead Theatre. As usual, too expensive for me, and I got my own ticket, at about half the price. She's only down as going with one unnamed guest - maybe she won't go at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment