Thursday 1 February 2018

Restaurant: Tas

Yesterday, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it was free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand. Closer to me, too.

It was only a short bus trip, followed by a short but absolutely frigid walk. The Arctic, gale force wind seemed to have a vendetta against me, and I was completely frozen by the time I got to the pub. Our organiser had helpfully said he'd be to the left of the main bar, so in I schlepped, spotting him before long, over the side. In, as the man said, a trilby.. good choice, you don't see many of those! Hmm, so now we have a second Man with a Hat..? ;-) Anyway, he had a drink, I got one, and before long we had a table, too. Good going, for a pub so packed! The others arrived in due course, and we yelled at each other for a bit, over the hubbub, until it was about time to go.

Tas is just across the road. It's quite a wide road, so sauntering across it was slightly unnerving - but we arrived alive, and were taken to our table. It's a very pleasant room - nice and airy, bright decor. We admired the glassware - I also admired the plates. It's quite classy. We ended up right across from a teeny stage, where a guitar player played classical music for most of the evening! What a shame we could hardly hear him over the din of a very crowded restaurant - it's one of my favourite kinds of music.

A long à la carte combines with a couple of special menus - one for groups, but we couldn't all agree to use it, so we didn't: and one that we could choose from individually. So, most of us went for that - terrific value, with a choice of two meze and a main from a long list of each, and a drink, which could be alcoholic, all for £19.95. I went for meze of sucuk izgara (garlic sausage), and mantar (sautéed mushrooms topped with cheese) - also available as a main. My main was kuzu sis - marinated chunks of lamb, accompanied by couscous. None of which were available on the à la carte, as far as I know.. honestly, I mainly couldn't tell you what the others ordered, except that we all had meze and a main, and a glass of wine.

The table was well-stocked with bread, which waiters kept trying to remove after we'd finished the meze, except for the valiant efforts of one of us! The meze filled the table, and I have to say, mine were delicious - the mushrooms particularly moreish. Our organiser had warned us about portion sizes with the mains - but I found mine perfectly sized, the lamb really tender. When the guy came with the dessert menu, the others might have left - but I'd already seen the chocolate cake ("simply delicious"!). So, you know, in the interests of research.. I do love the way they suggest drinks to accompany the desserts, but I passed on those.

So - verdict? Loved the place. For a start, it's a really pleasant environment, soothing - great choice of musical entertainment, if you can hear it. My meze, as I say, were delicious, the lamb for my main really tender - I was well fed. The chocolate cake, mind you, when it arrived, was quite a huge slab - if it hadn't been mousse-like, I probably wouldn't have been able to manage it at all. Dusted with cocoa powder - alway a nice touch - and with a chocolate coating, I found it nice and tasty. But honestly, too much after a whole meal - approach with caution! Next time, I might just go for ice cream..

It was a lovely evening, and I do hope they arrange more meals! I've always thought the social element is the best part of Meetup - and a meal focuses on that. And so I bade them farewell at the Tube - I was bussing, as usual. After a frigid wait. But hey, it was a lovely, clear night:


Early to bed then, for another U2 presale - probably the last for the year - today. Which was successful! Not as optimistic about the public onsale scrum tomorrow.. I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. Tonight, I'm at John in the NationalAnd tomorrow, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled. Hey, I can walk there and back, again..

On Saturday, I'm finally back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group (fairly trips off the tongue, that!) for a free walk - Secret Diaries and Public Spaces: the Legacy of Pepys and Wren. As run by Walk London. I had a great time with this group before - it's a shame they so frequently clash with other things I'm doing.

On Sunday, another walk, with Funzing, via Walking in London - Forgotten Old London is one I've had my eye on for a while. And that evening, someone suggested a classical concert in King's Place - well, whyever not? So I booked. Close enough to walk home after, too.

And on Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Hampstead Theatre, for Dry Powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment