Wednesday 21 February 2018

Play: A Passage to India

Last night, I was back with North London Friends for A Passage to India, at the Park. Last time I was with them, someone asked me whether I was coming to this, and I said no.. it's hard to keep track, though! A couple of them were meeting in My Cottage Cafe, next door, beforehand, but that would've been too close for me, so I just aimed to meet half an hour beforehand, at the box office, as they arranged.

Two buses - the first was early, the second arrived before I had time to check when it was due! Both crammed like sardines, but I was lucky enough to get a seat. Remembered the way to the theatre - the upshot was that I was there early, in time to have a glass of wine, so cold it was painful to hold! Now, I've only been with this group once before, so couldn't remember faces, really - luckily, one of them recognised me, so I did find the group - and the lady with my ticket. And when the guy who'd spotted me offered me a nut, well, that set off a yen for them, and I bought my own packet, which I'd nearly finished by the time we went in.



The lobby was crammed, as usual - and the house, when we went in, seemed to be full. We were to the front of the stalls - woe betide you if you stepped on the stage to get to your seat, though! Now, I saw this as a film, years and years ago, and remembered the story as follows: a rather ditzy English woman arrives in India to visit her fiancé (Nigel Havers), who works there. She's desperate to know more about the country, despite his contempt for it. She's accompanied by his mother (Dame Peggy Ashcroft), a much more amenable character, who's fascinated by the country as much as she is. They're facilitated in their desire to meet the locals by their friend, a member of the local ex-pat community (James Fox), who introduces them to a respectable local Indian doctor (Victor Banerjee), his friends played by Art Malik and Saeed Jaffrey - and to a local Hindu holy man, Sir Alec Guinness. However, the mixing of the cultures isn't going to be as easy as all that - there's a mishap on an outing, the young English lady is flustered, and the poor doctor gets the blame. Directed by David Lean, this was a massive, big-budget, sumptuous production - Event Cinema, you might say!

This stage production couldn't be more different. For a start, it's one of those bare stage plays - props are restricted to a few packing crates, a set of bamboo poles, and some screens hung from an overhead rail. Really, you have to see how they create an elephant - the bored schoolgirl, part of a group to the side, finally perked up at that point! Not just that - the play involves a train, caves, a palace, a courtroom.. I always love the ingenuity brought to a bare stage. Most of the characters also play multiple roles, with an enthusiasm I couldn't fault.

The play, it turns out, is also based more on the original novel than on the film - while the film focuses on the fallout from this outing, the book carries on to tell us what happened in the years following. And so does the play - with a much more mystical bent! I was hugely impressed with how effectively they manage to convey the various scenes and settings - I found myself immersed in what is a very powerful piece. Awesome stuff - highly recommended. Booking until the 24th of next month - advance booking also recommended.

Afterwards, some of us went for drinks - and now I know of an alternative to the theatre bar! Just around the corner is a cosy wine bar called Oak - we got a table and some very good wine, and stayed chatting for quite a while; they seemed in no hurry to kick us out. They do music events on Sundays, too - a very pleasant place, and a good choice for evenings at the Park. All in all, a lovely evening was had! even if I did get home too late to blog, what with having to be in early today - for a meeting that, as usual, didn't happen. Oh, and the bus journey was eventful - I'd just missed one, and as I was shivering, waiting for the next (reduced services at that time of night), there was a car crash practically right beside me! A taxi was shooting down the bus lane, and couldn't brake in time to avoid the car that turned to cross the lane without looking. Then, when I did get the bus, the driver - who had a fairly deserted road - was going so fast that he overshot my stop and I had to walk back from the next..

Tonight, Up in the Cheap Seats is headed to Picnic at Hanging Rock (organised by the guy I met on Monday) - nice and close, in the Barbican. I remember this as quite a disturbing film - will be interested to see the stage version. Will also be interested to see how it compares to last night's production, in the way it treats the theme of delicately brought-up young ladies, overwhelmed by the power of natural forces in the wilderness.. Oh, and I'd better pop into the local Hotel Chocolat on the way, see whether they have that caramel hot chocolate that was so nice on Sunday, and I made the mistake of telling my mother about..

On Thursday, Up in the Cheap Seats again, for Beats on Pointe. Unfortunately, this is in the Peacock, rather than the closer Sadler's Wells. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, I'm off to see Jake Bugg at the Palladium (yes, another that used to be walking distance..) Honestly, I'd never heard of him, but he sounded ok on YouTube.

On Tuesday, an opera in Sanskrit..! without subtitles. Satyagraha is at the Coliseum, and is about Gandhi. So I should figure it out - could do with the Sanskrit scholar from last night's play! Gosh, it's ages since I've been there..

Next Wednesday, Summer and Smoke (Tennessee Williams) at the Almeida. Does include actual cigarette smoke, and a gunshot. North London Friends are going, but I'm going independently. Limited seats available..

On the 1st, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Bridge Theatre, for what I hear is a stunning performance of Julius Caesar. You get the choice of being part of the crowd - I'm not. Modern setting.

On the 2nd, back with North London Friends, at Hampstead Theatre, for Acceptance.

On the 3rd, Up in the Cheap Seats, and Beginning, at the Ambassadors Theatre. For once, not an official ticket for this - got better value with What's on Stage!

On the 4th, I found another Southwark tour - excellent! The "Family Friendly Liberty of the Clink" tour is run by Walking in London.. therefore Funzing.. and Londonist is involved somewhere too. Hard to keep track of everyone involved in walks.

On the 5th, London European Club is headed to Monologue Slam, an actors' showcase at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East.

On the 6th, Up in the Cheap Seats is at Sadler's Wells for a performance by Ballet British Colombia.

On the 7th, Let's Do This is off to a jazz evening at Two Temple Place. Beautiful venue - should be a lovely evening.

On the 8th, Walking Victorian London is running a walk around Il Quartiere - Tales from Italian Clerkenwell. Excellent - I've had my eye on that for a while. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 12th, London Dramatic Arts is at Caroline, or Change, at Hampstead Theatre. As usual, too expensive for me, and I got my own ticket, at about half the price. She's only  going with one unnamed guest - maybe she won't go at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment