Thursday 14 October 2021

Storytelling: The Women Who Gave No F*cks

So, the boss was in today, and took me for a break out to a local vegan cafe. Sorry, cannot remember the name! but I can testify that they have very friendly service, one of the better hot chocolates I've had, and some interesting Eastern European hazelnut loaf, whose name I can't remember either. But it's very nice. And was worth her beating me at chess - which is quite predictable. Hell, she was apparently ninth in her country at one point! It's somewhere just north of Smithfield - have a wander, you might find it. It's on a corner.

Tonight, back at last with London European Club (LEC)! Happily, they were going to what I'd be going to anyway.. the Crick Crack Club (CCC) performed The Women Who Gave No F*cks, at Rich Mix. Fantastic when the LEC decide to come..

The organiser suggested meeting beforehand in Casa Blue - it's handy, just down the road, and it's spacious. And they have what we would call quite a traditional, popular soundtrack. I arrived first - and lo, it was Happy Hour, so I got a discount if I bought two drinks! Figuring I had time before the show, I did - and when he showed up, we had quite a nice, long chat. It was just the two of us, sadly - but it was great to catch up, after so long.

Just before showtime, we'd finished our drinks and headed down to the venue - where we discovered that tickets were to be collected upstairs, outside the studio where the show was to take place. We took the lift - sorry to the sign that asked us to take the stairs if possible, but four floors is a big ask. The others were upstairs - as were Ben Haggarty and Martin Shaw of the CCC, having a chat over by the window - and when the doors opened, we went in. Took seats quite near the front, but slightly elevated, so we could see over the people in front of us. Ben Haggarty MCed right at the beginning, then wisely made an exit - this was ladies' night.


All women from then on in. Two teams of three, and I didn't know most of them - on one team were Nell Phoenix and Laura Sampson, ably captained by one Alys Torrance, who was new to me. I didn't recognise any names from the other side, but upon seeing them, I recognised Sarah Rundle, whom I've seen perform with the Embers Collective. Members of the audience who were lucky enough to be seated with things under their chairs got to participate - one with a "clapometer" to decide who won each battle between a pair, one from each team: one to keep time (they were technically limited to 12 minutes per story): and one to award prizes.

First up was Nell, who was competing against Wendy Shearer, from the other team - both had stories about goddesses. I preferred Nell's cheeky tale, but Wendy won the clap-off. Following were the team captains - tricksters were their bag, Alys with a story about the Queen of Carthage, and Lucy Lill with an ancient Greek tale about an oracle - both women who got one over on the king. But the last round, after the interval, was my favourite - the theme was female leaders, and Sarah had, basically, the lifestory of Eleanor of Aquitaine! But keen as I am on that topic, the story of the night for me was the last. Laura Sampson has really progressed as a storyteller since I saw her last, and her story about a female Japanese general was the only one tonight that held me spellbound. Storytelling at its best - and she deservedly won that bout!

At the interval, we were encouraged to use the chalk provided to write the names of women that inspired us, on the floor:


Somebody wrote "Margaret Thatcher". Well, as Lucy remarked, that happens every time they do this show.. and certainly, as Alys pointed out, there was a woman who gave no f**ks! A most enjoyable evening - and roll on the next.

Tomorrow, woo! A couple of weeks ago, Up in the Cheap Seats was off to 2:22 - A Ghost Story, but I was meeting an ex-colleague for drinks that night and couldn't go. Well, I got a ticket for tomorrow - second-last night of the run! Unfortunately, cheapest available were £65, and no availability with cheap ticket sellers - ah well, I decided I really wanted to see it (great reviews helped), so I booked. Had great fun trying to decide which of the few remaining seats at that price was the best.. Showing at the Noel Coward Theatre. And with all the cheap shows I'm going to, I can afford it! Interestingly, yesterday I got an email from them explaining that if I wanted a drink, I had to preorder. And I have to arrive between 30 and 45 minutes before the show starts. Well, said I, if I'm obliged to be there that early, then yes, I'll have a drink, thank you! So I've placed an order. (Oh, and I'm to go in a particular door, too!) Goodness, that's more care than most places are taking..

On Saturday, my first outing with another new group - Bucket List London is off to Kenwood House, and I said I'd join them. You don't have to book, but it guarantees availability- tickets for free from English Heritage, via See Tickets.

On Sunday, I found something interesting with London Walks, Art & Culture Explorers! Yet another new one for me. This is an "Uncomfortable Statues Walk" - statues commemorating controversial people. I can think of a few, and it'll be interesting to see which come up on this!

On Monday, I'm with London Classical Music & Theatre Group, for a choral performance (annual, apparently) by The Sixteen in Temple Church. Fantastic, and I've never actually been inside!

On Tuesday, I'm with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex (!). They have an online talk entitled Hallowe'en Penny Dreadful Online Show - The Art of Victorian Horror. I have to say, online has become much more of an option since lockdown. And that'll be a night I can move stuff from my desk - we have to clear them out by the end of the week, as we're moving office next month!

On Wednesday, I booked another walk with Invigorate - this one is a tour of (the outside of) Christopher Wren's churches. Starting even closer to the office than the last one, handily.

Next Thursday, an online storytelling double-bill - I'll have to see how that pans out. First, I'd booked Universe, a CCC show happening in Oxford and live-streamed. Clare Murphy - and I've seen it before, and it was the best show ever! And then I saw that Martin Shaw was doing an online show, earlier in the evening.. this one, in association with Watkins Bookshop, is called The Smoke Hole, and it's free. So I said, hey, why not? (And this is realistically the last night I can move stuff from my desk.)

On the 22nd, back with the LEC for a concert - Balkan Music, courtesy of Raka & Balamuc, in The Post Bar, Tottenham. Sounds like fun. Even if I have to bring my work laptop, as we won't have access to our desks by that night. Then I'm back to Ireland - another Saturday flight - and with a few days off, I'm not flying back until the 28th. At least I'm not working from home this time, so don't have to bring the laptop on the flight!

But on the 29th, back with that group again, for Carmen - contemporary flamenco at The Place. Funnily enough, someone in the group said there were no individual seats left, and asked whether anyone wanted to double up with her. I offered, if there were no other takers - but she never got back to me. So, since I was now up to that date in my schedule, I decided to check for myself - and got an individual seat! So I've booked it.

And on the 30th, I'm doing something nice and Halloweeny - a ghost story event entitled Night Owl - changed from Scared to Death in the Woods, which they're now doing on Hallowe'en itself, and which has sold out. Tickets from Design My Night. So, an organisation called London Dreamtime is leading us off into a undisclosed location, somewhere around Hampstead Heath.. we're to dress warmly, and bring a blanket to sit on, and a "candle in a jar" - I actually went out and bought an LED flickering candle in a lantern-style holder. Well, thought it was the most practical! Now I just need batteries..

No comments:

Post a Comment