Friday 15 October 2021

Play: 2:22 - A Ghost Story

A couple of weeks ago, Up in the Cheap Seats was off to 2:22 - A Ghost Story, but I was meeting an ex-colleague for drinks that night and couldn't go. Well, I got a ticket for tonight - second-last night of the run! Unfortunately, cheapest available were £65, and no availability with cheap ticket sellers - ah well, I decided I really wanted to see it (great reviews helped), so I booked. Had great fun trying to decide which of the few remaining seats at that price was the best.. Showing at the Noel Coward Theatre. And with all the cheap shows I go to, I can afford it! Interestingly, a couple of days ago I got an email from them explaining that if I wanted a drink, I had to preorder. And I had to arrive between 30 and 45 minutes before the show starts. Well, said I, if I'm obliged to be there that early, then yes, I'll have a drink, thank you! So I placed an order. (Oh, and they told me which door to go to, too!) Goodness, that's more care than most places are taking..

The driver of the bus that was supposed to take me to the far side of Aldwych decided that the near side would do, which added 10 minutes to my walk. Ah well, 'tis exercise - I noticed a sign that said Strand was permanently closed now! to vehicular traffic, of course. En route, I suddenly remembered that I hadn't hunted for my ticket on my phone. And while I was doing that, the theatre finally confirmed my order - and I immediately got a message that it was ready. Yes, well I wasn't..

I did make it there within my allotted time though, and after someone asked whether I was "double-jabbed" (yes) and another made a cursory search of my bag (with a stick!), I was in. Had to ask where the bar "on my level" was, though - and discovered that it was down a few flights of stairs, and actually on the level below! A fellow at the door looked at me expectantly, and I said I had to pick up an order - I could see bags, just inside the door. So he asked whether I had a confirmation email - yes - but what he actually wanted was the code. Which wasn't in the email, but I'd fortunately memorised. And so I got to collect my bag, with a plastic glass and a small bottle of the only white wine they had (which was a bit watery). Naturally, I could take it to my seat - well, I couldn't go into the bar!


The place filled up completely, in due course - this is popular. The clock visible on stage reminds us of the importance of the time in this play, and cycles swiftly through its 24-hour period, over and over, until the play starts. And shortly after I got there, they started to play music - and they started with Portishead. Oh joy..

So, the plot is simple - a couple with a small baby have moved into their dream home, which they've completely redesigned, with a modern extension to an old house. However, just recently, with the husband away, the wife (Lily Allen, in her West End debut) heard strange noises over the baby monitor - as though someone was pacing around and around the nursery. This has happened every night since - at 2:22am - and the last time, she was in the room herself, and heard crying. She's terrified. So, when her husband returns, she invites an old friend and her partner over for dinner - with the ulterior motive of getting them to stay until the fateful hour, and prove she's not as insane as her highly rational husband thinks she is..

Aw man, I knew it. Every time I'm really looking forward to something, it disappoints me. Having said that - and not giving it away, because it is on again tomorrow - the twist is excellent. But what spoiled it for me was the blood-curdling screech that accompanies every scene change, along with flashing lights and the red lights around the edge of the stage coming on. A stupid jump scare every time. I guess they figured that, without that, the play would be too slow. But most horror is actually like that, a completely normal setting until something happens to change your whole perspective. Hey-ho, the twist makes it worth seeing - not sure whether it justifies the price I paid though, and it's even more expensive if you want a last-minute ticket for tomorrow! Ah well, not the worst.

What was worst for me was that my knees - never good at the best of times - started acting up in the second half, during which I spent a lot of time trying to get them into a comfortable position! Being in the front row of the Circle, you see, meant that I had a hard surface in front of me, with no give, so I couldn't stretch - and my row was full, so I couldn't stretch to the side either. I was stiff and sore by the time we were let out - and still am, to be honest! At least, on the way back, I got the bus driver to stop at the correct stop, for a change, by virtue of not pressing the button until I could see the stop! It isn't even listed on their route any more, you know..

Tomorrow, my first outing with another new group - Bucket List London is off to Kenwood House, and I said I'd join them. You don't have to book, but it guarantees availability- tickets for free from English Heritage, via See Tickets. We're to meet at 11, and it'll take me the better part of an hour to get there, I see - so off to bed for me imminently!

On Sunday, I found something interesting with London Walks, Art & Culture Explorers! Yet another new one for me. This is an "Uncomfortable Statues Walk" - statues commemorating controversial people. I can think of a few, and it'll be interesting to see which come up on this!

On Monday, I'm with London Classical Music & Theatre Group, for a choral performance (annual, apparently) by The Sixteen in Temple Church. Fantastic, and I've never actually been inside!

On Tuesday, I'm with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex (!). They have an online talk entitled Hallowe'en Penny Dreadful Online Show - The Art of Victorian Horror. I have to say, online has become much more of an option since lockdown. And that'll be a night I can move stuff from my desk - we have to clear them out by the end of the week, as we're moving office next month!

On Wednesday, I booked another walk with Invigorate - this one is a tour of (the outside of) Christopher Wren's churches. Starting even closer to the office than the last one, handily.

On Thursday, an online storytelling double-bill - I'll have to see how that pans out. First, I'd booked Universe, a Crick Crack Club (CCC) show happening in Oxford and live-streamed. Clare Murphy - and I've seen it before, and it was the best show ever! And then I saw that Martin Shaw from the CCC was doing an online show, earlier in the evening.. this one, in association with Watkins Bookshop, is called The Smoke Hole, and it's free. So I said, hey, why not? (And this is realistically the last night I can move stuff from my desk.)

Next Friday, back with the London European Club for a concert - Balkan Music, courtesy of Raka & Balamuc, in The Post Bar, Tottenham. Sounds like fun. Even if I have to bring my work laptop, as we won't have access to our desks by that night. Then I'm back to Ireland - another Saturday flight - and with a few days off, I'm not flying back until the 28th. At least I'm not working from home this time, so don't have to bring the laptop on the flight!

But on the 29th, back with that group again, for Carmen - contemporary flamenco at The Place. (Might work from home that day, as we won't be in our new office yet, and I'd have to carry my laptop around with me.) Funnily enough, someone in the group said there were no individual seats left, and asked whether anyone wanted to double up with her. I offered, if there were no other takers - but she never got back to me. So, since I was now up to that date in my schedule, I decided to check for myself - and got an individual seat! So I've booked it.

And on the 30th, I'm doing something nice and Halloweeny - a ghost story event entitled Night Owl - changed from Scared to Death in the Woods, which they're now doing on Hallowe'en itself, and which has sold out. Tickets from Design My Night. So, an organisation called London Dreamtime is leading us off into a undisclosed location, somewhere around Hampstead Heath.. we're to dress warmly, and bring a blanket to sit on, and a "candle in a jar" - I actually went out and bought an LED flickering candle in a lantern-style holder. Well, thought it was the most practical! Now I just need batteries..

No comments:

Post a Comment