Thursday 7 October 2021

Pub: Artigiano

Tonight, more leaving drinks - this guy is just changing office, though. I've often heard them talk about the "A-bar" - had no idea what they were talking about. So I followed others - and we ended up in Artigiano. Ah, so that's what it is!

We were supposed to head for food after - didn't happen. We did have a great chat, though - I got to talk lots about horror stuff, and chat to some people I don't talk to enough - the guy who was leaving showed us photos and video of his house, which he's selling, as well as his car, it seems.

The night turned sour at the end - I really knew I should have bailed earlier when the two that were left started dissing my boss. (D'you think that was deliberate?) Seriously, they took umbrage at her asking a question at the all-hands - said it showed "she was ambitious". Really?! Just sounded like a regular question to me. And since when did "ambition" become a dirty word, anyway? Ooh, what a nasty attitude. I swear, if it weren't for my boss, I'd have quit already - the likes of that make a terrible environment. Some people just can't handle talent in others. Jealousy can be an ugly thing. (Always suspected it of one of them.)

Tomorrow, back with one of my cheap ticket groups (TAC) for Lately, at the Lion & Unicorn. Then I'm back to Ireland again - on Saturday again, as I was unable to get a Friday flight! Working from home on Monday, and flying back to London that evening.

On Tuesday, I found a curious thing on Meetup - it seems that Watkins Bookshop has its own Meetup group, where it advertises events, and that day there's a talk by Stephen Skinner, about Aleister Crowley's Four Books of Magick. Ok, sounds interesting to me - I signed up. It is a bit early, so I'll have to see how we go.

On Wednesday, we were supposed to be with Civilised London. We were booked for what promised to be another excellent meal, this time at the Korean restaurant, The Petite CorĂ©e. Meeting beforehand in The Railway pub. Sadly, got word today that it's been cancelled - the organiser has personal business. So, instead I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for a double bill at the Royal Court - What If If Only (15 minutes long) and Is God Is, later that evening. The short play is only £5 if booked with the other.

Next Thursday, back at last with London European Club (LEC)! Happily, they're going to what I'd be going to anyway.. the Crick Crack Club is performing The Women Who Gave No F*cks, at Rich Mix. Fantastic when the London European Club decide to come..

On the 15th, woo! A couple of weeks ago, UITCS was off to 2:22 - A Ghost Story, but I was meeting an ex-colleague for drinks that night and couldn't go. Well, I got a ticket for the 15th - second-last night of the run! Unfortunately, cheapest available were £65, and no availability with cheap ticket sellers - ah well, I decided I really wanted to see it (great reviews helped), so I booked. Had great fun trying to decide which of the few remaining seats at that price was the best.. Showing at the Noel Coward Theatre. And with all the cheap shows I'm going to, I can afford it!

On the 16th, my first outing with another new group - Bucket List London is off to Kenwood House, and I said I'd join them. You don't have to book, but it guarantees availability- tickets for free from English Heritage, via See Tickets.

On the 17th, I found something interesting with London Walks, Art & Culture Explorers! Yet another new one for me. This is an "Uncomfortable Statues Walk" - statues commemorating controversial people. I can think of a few, and it'll be interesting to see which come up on this!

On the 18th, I'm with London Classical Music & Theatre Group, for a choral performance (annual, apparently) by The Sixteen in Temple Church. Fantastic, and I've never actually been inside!

On the 19th, I'm with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex (!). They have an online talk entitled Hallowe'en Penny Dreadful Online Show - The Art of Victorian Horror. I have to say, online has become much more of an option since lockdown.

On the 20th, I booked another walk with Invigorate - this one is a tour of (the outside of) Christopher Wren's churches.

On the 21st, an online storytelling double-bill - I'll have to see how that pans out. First, I'd booked Universe, a Crick Crack show happening in Oxford and live-streamed. Clare Murphy - and I've seen it before, and it was the best show ever! And then I saw that Martin Shaw, another member of Crick Crack, was doing an online show, earlier in the evening.. this one, in association with Watkins again, is called The Smoke Hole, and it's free. So I said, hey, why not?

On the 22nd, back with the LEC for a concert - Balkan Music, courtesy of Raka & Balamuc, in The Post Bar, Tottenham. Sounds like fun. Then I'm back to Ireland - another Saturday flight - and with a few days off, I'm not flying back until the 28th.

But on the 29th, back with that group again, for Carmen - contemporary flamenco at The Place. Funnily enough, someone in the group said there were no individual seats left, and asked whether anyone wanted to double up with her. I offered, if there were no other takers - but she never got back to me. So, since I was now up to that date in my schedule, I decided to check for myself - and got an individual seat! So I've booked it.

And on the 30th, I'm doing something nice and Halloweeny - a ghost story event entitled Scared to Death in the Woods! Tickets from Design My Night. So, an organisation called London Dreamtime is leading us off into a undisclosed location, somewhere around Hampstead Heath.. we're to dress warmly, and bring a blanket to sit on, and a "candle in a jar" - I actually went out and bought an LED flickering candle in a lantern-style holder. Well, thought it was the most practical! 

No comments:

Post a Comment