Monday 20 September 2021

Play: Shining City

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Shining City, a Conor McPherson play set in Dublin and showing in the Theatre Royal, Stratford EastBrendan Coyle plays a man haunted - he believes literally - by the ghost of his late wife, and the play takes place in a therapist's office. Well, this is an excellent playwright, so we were in safe hands. Someone was going for food beforehand, but I seriously doubted I'd be able to get there for that.

Just as well I grabbed something to eat in the office instead - I was, indeed, looked for to provide information for a hurriedly scheduled meeting tomorrow morning. I still got to leave in good time - Tube proved the only reasonable option to travel so far out, so I did, and a woman kindly gave up her seat for me. Once there, I remembered to take the "town centre" exit (i.e. steer clear of Westfield), and also took the shortcut through the smaller shopping centre across the road.

We made quite the crowd in the bar, taking up a few tables - and I saw some more people I haven't seen in so long! Had a drink there, and was reminded what a nice ambience it has, with decent background music - and in due course, we took our seats. And I lucked out! I'd got one of the £10 tickets, which got me into the second row of the stalls - but in addition, the two seats beside me were free ,so I could stretch out, and so were all the seats in front of me, so I had a perfect view! Nice.. two trips to the theatre so far since I came back, and on each occasion, loads of space. I could live with this.

Five acts, between each two of which the safety curtain is lowered, and we get to look at a map of North Inner City Dublin. Gave them a chance to change sets. I swear, by the end of it, you'd nearly have it by heart. I might have lived there for three years, but that was a long time ago, and my more recent memories centre on going there for U2 concerts (yes, the map includes Croke Park).

Anyway, these five acts - no interval - all take place in what must be the scruffiest therapist's office in the Western world. Holes in the ceiling, a basic plug-in heater. Damp. Seriously? Well, in walks our bereaved man with a story about his wife's ghost. Mind you, he's not the only one who needs therapy - our therapist is an ex-priest, retrained as a therapist, and is still trying to find his way in this unfamiliar world. Both men, if you like, are struggling to connect - despite the bereaved man's sorrow over his wife, we learn how alone he felt in the marriage. And the therapist, of course, would have had little human connection as a priest, and now seems in a hurry to make up for lost time. As the play progresses, each character must decide how to proceed - and the results can be startling.

The plot twists are fascinating. But what I got most from this were the character studies. Each character in the play is well-drawn, and I enjoyed getting to know them. I enjoyed the relaxed pace, although some others might have preferred them to hurry it up a bit. I have to say, this writer is a keen observer of human nature, and I loved having a peek into his view of the world. Loved the play. Beautifully written. Runs till the 23rd of next month, highly recommended!

Afterwards, we hung out in the bar for a bit, and Brendan Coyle came in for a drink with some friends. On his way out, he was engaged in conversation with our group - and as he left, called back that it was great to see audiences back again! Well yes, I completely agree. Great to be back..

Took the bus back - at this time of night, it wouldn't take as long. I didn't have to wait long - didn't even have to check how long it'd be, as before I could, it arrived. And with hardly anyone on board, we flew through most of the stops without stopping.

Tomorrow, thinking film again. Top of the list was Escape from Extinction, a nature documentary narrated by Helen Mirren. But.. meh. Wasn't enthused. Instead, I'm thinking about Summer of Soul (or, When the Revolution Could Not be Televised). This is about a black music festival that happened around the same time as Woodstock - and hearing the performer list, I was sold! Why, B. B. King on his own would have satisfied me - I saw him live a couple of times in support to U2, he brought the house down! Anyway, closest this is showing to me is in the Curzon Soho.

On Wednesday, back with UITCS for Search Party at the Donmar Warehouse. This is an evening of poetry, spontaneously created from audience suggestions, by Inua Ellams, writer of Barber Shop Chronicles.

And on Thursday, woohoo! Back with the Crick Crack Club for The Market at the End of the World, at King's Place. Starring Daniel Morden, Sarah Liisa Wilkinson, Clare Murphy, and TUUP. Oh man, am I looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment