Tuesday 21 September 2021

Film: Summer of Soul (Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised..)

Tonight. thought of film again. Top of the list was Escape from Extinction, a nature documentary narrated by Helen Mirren. But.. meh. Wasn't enthused. Instead, I decided on Summer of Soul (or, When the Revolution Could Not be Televised). This is about the Harlem Culture Festival, which happened around the same time as Woodstock - and hearing the performer list, I was sold! Why, B. B. King on his own would have satisfied me - I saw him live a couple of times in support to U2, he brought the house down! Anyway, closest this is showing to me is in the Curzon Soho.

With a late start time, I stayed on in the office until I was - I think - the last one there. Again. Took the bus - and was pleased with myself for remembering that Google Maps isn't always right! They had me traipsing off down the road for absolutely no reason, when there was a stop much closer. So, rode the bus to the end of the line, then had a nice stroll down Shaftesbury Avenue - past our old office, ah, how convenient that was for the nightlife! And so to the Curzon Soho, for the first time in a very long time.

I hadn't booked, there was no need - although a scattering of other seats had been booked. I was the first in by a long shot, though, and the one seated furthest forward - which I was glad of, as it's a small screen. The trailers were the same list of trailers as the last Curzon I was at. I did miss the pullman seats they'd had there, though - this screen doesn't.

Ah, the film was well worth it, mind. Glorious, glorious music - lots of which has been covered more recently, and it's always interesting to hear the original. A very slim Stevie Wonder, in a frilly yellow shirt, Nina Simone - dressed, as one audience member remarked, like an African princess - Gladys Knight and the Pips. And it was also terrific to see people who were there - both on stage and in the audience - watch the film and reminisce.

But it also captures a very specific time.. there's even a piece about black fashion of the time, when afros and African clothing were proving popular. A number of Gospel choirs participated.. and there's politics. Oh, so much politics. The Black Panthers were acting as vigilante police, Jesse Jackson was onstage, describing the assassination of Martin Luther King.. volatile times.

Fantastic viewing for the music, even more so if you're interested in the history. It's such a shame that it was pretty much ignored in favour of Woodstock - definitely, go see if you have a chance!

On the way back, Google maps redeemed itself by suggesting a couple of buses that could take me right from the cinema to where I was to get my bus home.. now, that's service!

Tomorrow, my boss - whom I've never met in person - will be in the office, and is planning on taking me for gelato. Hmm.. not exactly my favourite thing. Ah well. Tomorrow night, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Search Party at the Donmar Warehouse. This is an evening of poetry, spontaneously created from audience suggestions, by Inua Ellams, writer of Barber Shop Chronicles.

And on Thursday, woohoo! Back with the Crick Crack Club for The Market at the End of the World, at King's Place. Starring Daniel MordenSarah Liisa WilkinsonClare Murphy, and TUUP. Oh man, am I looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment