Sunday 29 August 2021

Film: Andre Rieu 2021 Summer Concert: Together Again (Encore)

The only matinée I was interested in today was Andre Rieu 2021 Summer Concert: Together Again (Encore), which was showing in the Omniplex - and damn near sold out already, when I looked! So I booked, despite the high ticket price - what the hey! It'd be the first time I'd ever have watched a concert in the cinema. This concert was showing in cinemas, this weekend only..

The day started with a belated call from the Garda to whom I reported my mother's phishing attack, who finally got back to me with the reference number. So that's been sent to the bank, and I'm awaiting developments. Meantime, I took myself in to the Omniplex - had ideas of dropping off the recycling on the way, but the recycling bins everywhere are alive with wasps! So, that's still awaiting removal..

Parked at the cinema in time to run to Tesco first, for bits and pieces - then dashed into the cinema, just in time. I had my ticket scanned, and headed for the screen - she had to chase after me with the playlist, which is distributed to attendees! An usher showed me to my seat - and I noted that, although I'd had to take the seat on the end of the row, not a single other seat in that row was occupied. Gee, there must have been a few people that didn't show - and at that price, it's a shame if they'd been held up! The row never did fill any more, despite several latecomers.

No trailers - we were straight into the show, which started off primarily hosted by Andre Rieu's son, who described Andre's orchestra (the Johann Strauss Orchestra) coming together again for the first time since the pandemic, at a scenic restaurant. And it's from there that the film is introduced - a montage of performances from different locations around the world. Speaking of which, I think it would have been kind to provide a translation of the non-English sections, considering how much he interacts with the audiences..

This orchestra is known for playing popular pieces, and he has fun with the staging. And after every single piece, I gave a quiet little clap - it just didn't seem right not to! The ladies in the orchestra - as always - wear brightly coloured ballgowns appropriate for the period when Strauss lived - although the soloists do shake it up a bit, with a variety of outfits. And over it all, Andre Rieu presides with a twinkle in his eye and a cheeky grin.

I didn't recognise most of the pieces from the first part - although the first, 76 Trombones, is a staple of his, as he marches onstage through the audience. Habanera is one of several Spanish-flavour pieces that follow, along with a performance of The Rose, before we get to Kalinka, which I love, and which was my favourite from this first part. And the first to get me rocking back and forth in my convenient, rocker seat! Part I finishes with a performance of I Could Have Danced All Night.

Which got the toes tapping for a 10-minute interval, towards the end of which we get more fun clips of Andre.

Promptly on the 10-minute mark, Part II starts with a beautiful performance of The Lonely Shepherd. More famous pieces in this part - and the audience is practically forced out of their seats for The Blue Danube. And there they stay, dancing in the aisles.. something I haven't seen since I saw the late, great Leonard Cohen in Kilmainham, years ago.. Waltzers are also visible to the rear of the orchestra, and in a nice touch, scattered through the audience, partnering those without partners.

O Fortuna was always going to be a highlight for me - and they give a thrilling performance. And after some more standards - they're into pop! The Macarena, anyone? And Lou Bega even comes on with Mambo No. 5..

Ah, it is most enjoyable. Even if it is just a collage of previous films. As I say, I hadn't seen a concert in cinema before, so it was cool.. even if I didn't feel I could clap out loud. Certainly, it's the closest I've been to a concert experience in a long time. Enjoyed myself, and was back good and early.

Tomorrow, all that suits is - finally - Stillwater, showing in the Arc Cinema in Ennis at 5.30. Matt Damon stars as a redneck American dad, who heads to France to try to help his daughter, Abigail Breslin, who's in prison in the den of iniquity that is Marseille, convicted of a murder she swears she didn't commit. Could be decent. No longer showing in the Omniplex - I'm lucky to get to see it. Films don't show here for as long as in London.

And on that note, it'd better be good, because it's the last thing on the current listings that I want to see! Between shorter showing times than I'm used to, and a much smaller range to start with, of course, I've completely exhausted everything I could be bothered seeing! Sorry, but not even desperation is going to make me try the dubious comedies that provide the only alternative to all the kids' films.. Roll on Friday, and a new film list. In the meantime, I'll be sourcing stuff online again.. in between all the errands I have to run, this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment