Saturday 24 April 2021

Play: My Hero

Tonight, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), unusually, had a Meetup I could make! A couple of folks were watching a live-streamed reading of a Canadian play - started at 11.30pm my time, and we'd chat before and after, was the plan. Yep, sounded like something I could manage! So I booked a ticket - was sent the link yesterday. Should make a change, at least..

Had the same security problems as before with my work laptop when it came to the play, so used that for the Zoom call with the group, and had my mother's laptop for the play itself. Well, of course, it turned out to be a Canadian group - Thumbs Up Theatre Toronto (TUTT). Easy to tell, from the sunlight streaming in the window of the first person I chatted to, online! A few folks joined, all in Toronto, and the organiser explained to me that she'd thought an international audience would be a good idea, so had hooked up with UITCS to promote it.

Anyhoo, on to the play - and the person introducing it mentioned something of a list of where people were watching from. "Even as far away as Ireland!", as she said (ooh, fame at last..) Again, a Zoomed play, each of the three actors in a different location, interacting online. The usual minor problems arose - minor fluffing of lines, and one bit where the third actor didn't come on quickly enough, and another was left hanging. But, professional as they were, they dealt with it.

The story involves a 40-year-old man, a teacher, who's divorced and lives with his mother. His father died in a car crash when he was a kid. In something of a role reversal, he's the stuffy, "square" one, she's the one willing to take risks. During the play, she starts dating the gardener - her son is slightly horrified. Only slightly, though - no real angst in this, which was billed as a comedy.

I found it not groundbreaking, but quite funny, and very watchable. The acting is great, each of the three characters very likeable. Comments in the chat afterwards mentioned that it was predictable - yes, undoubtedly, but we don't need to be surprised with new material on every production.

One person, in particular, took umbrage with the first plot point, that the teacher is going to give an A to one of his students, under threat of being accused of sexual harassment. She thought that was inappropriate, given the Me Too movement, and the long history of women not being believed when they brought such claims. Well, I take the point, but disagree - the plot doesn't involve sexual harassment, but a blackmail threat that someone might be accused of it, which is very plausible, especially in the context of the Me Too movement. Yes, the elderly playwright, Norm Foster, could have chosen another topic for the teacher to be complaining about - I don't think he was likely to have been making a point in choosing that one. But hey, considering the rubbish that I have personal experience of students coming out with in order to improve their grades - this is perfectly plausible..

So, pleasant, but not groundbreaking. Like most productions, really. Part of a Foster Festival that's running. And the play is available for 72 hours after broadcast, with an additional Q+A with the actors.

In the chat afterwards, I was invited to join the Toronto group - and I said, well, nothing to lose, and joined. And boy am I glad I did! This could be a way for me to get more Meetups in while still in lockdown - so many are at times I can't manage, and UITCS just doesn't have as many things online these days. Whereas, the Toronto group is feasible, if I'm prepared to meet late at night..

Tomorrow, thinking of checking out some Edinburgh Fringe material that Free Stuff and Free Events advertised for last Thursday - seems the sessions are recorded, woo! Be good to see some stand-up comedy again.

And on Friday night / Saturday morning, TUTT are hosting a virtual walking tour of the old town of Hong Kong! To be clear, this is a real-life walking tour, live, in English, with a local guide.. cool! 3am my time, but what the hey.. A part of the world I've never been in, and I'll be delighted to visit virtually! Lockdown is good for some things..

No comments:

Post a Comment