Monday 21 December 2020

Play: A Christmas Carol

For tonight, an old friend (well, his wife) bought me a ticket to watch the livestream of A Christmas Carol from the Old Vic! He and the family would be watching simultaneously. Aww, how thoughtful..

Of course, I'd rather be there in person, if I could - but one advantage to watching from home is that I could have dinner while I watched. And it worked out just perfect for that. Again, they had the atmospheric crowd noise as we waited - this time, it was interspersed with some ceilidh music, which would also feature during the show, and a quiz about Christmas traditions around the world! V interesting - I won't give away the answers, in case anyone is thinking of watching in the remaining days. But by and large, I got the European ones..

Well, this is a terrific production. Pretty authentic, although they do heavily emphasise certain aspects of the story - the young Scrooge gets much more of a romantic attachment in this version, for example. And the ghost of Christmas Yet to Come isn't as scary as in other productions I've seen. Instead, Scrooge's epiphany is given a huge amount of attention - I just love the way they make use of the whole auditorium, devoid of an audience! This aspect of the story occupies most of the second half - there's a 15-minute interval:


As I say, though, despite different story emphasis, the essential story remains the same, and this production is pretty authentic. I also loved the carol singing that accompanies it - some very well-chosen carols include some more uncommon ones (well, uncommon in my experience), such as The Coventry Carol - one of my favourites.

Very Christmassy, all in all. And in the spirit of charity, as well as the standard invitations to donate, it turns out they're collecting for FoodCycle at the moment - to provide food to those in need:


The production runs till Thursday - a very good way to get in the Christmas spirit! And a nice, long chat over Skype ended the night - with my friend, rather than the cast and crew of the Old Vic, I should add! My mother and the cat were rather put out, but well, I'm entitled to one evening apart from them, surely - my first evening event in over a month. My mother had gone to bed by the time I finished - the cat was still waiting to be made (yet another) fuss of, though.


Tomorrow looks like film again - when I get a moment; first, I have to do a click and collect from Tesco, not having been able to secure a delivery slot for this week. Just as well our lockdown has been lifted, even if just for a week or so.. Anyway, as previously mentioned, I'm thinking of watching the tv documentary made by Robert Fisk, From Beirut to Bosnia, about the relationship between the Middle East and the West. Hard to find, it's available on the Sands Films site - part of an homage to Robert Fisk.

No comments:

Post a Comment