Wednesday 30 December 2020

Film: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Well, after what I have to admit was an excellent day's television, when it got to bedtime it fizzled out - I'd seen everything already, or wasn't interested. So I thought.. film backlog. And topping that was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, available on Amazon Prime. Stars Jessica Brown Findlay as the writer, keen to do a newspaper article on this mysterious society, and Tom Courtenay, Katherine Parkinson, and Penelope Wilton as quirky locals.

Now, I have to admit that I had completely the wrong idea about this film. Yes, I know what they say about not judging a book by its cover.. anyway, I had in mind that this would be a twee romantic comedy, where someone comes to Guernsey, is entranced by the locals, and falls in love. And I wasn't entirely wrong. But actually, it's not a comedy at all. The opening scene explains something of the origins of the name - it's 1941, the island is occupied by the Nazis, and the name is conjured up as an excuse for some locals being out after curfew, as club meetings are permitted. When we meet Jessica, it's just after the war - the scenes of bomb-damaged London are very poignant - and when she visits the island to look for the society, they explain to her the exact origin of the name.

It's quite moving - it takes her ages to drag information out of the locals, but her instincts tell her to keep probing. The details of the war years are harrowing - and I wouldn't blame her for falling in love with the place! The scenery is gorgeous. Although, mind you, it's filmed in Devon - close enough, I guess, and with the major advantage of not having to ship everything off to an island! The houses they film in are lovely too, all old stone and low doorways - wow, am I in need of a trip somewhere! (Yes, it's giving me ideas.) So, recommended - it's an excellent drama, with an interesting window to the German occupation of the Channel Islands, which is something I never thought of before.

Probably film again tomorrow, if I get a chance. I've just had great fun removing from my film list everything I've seen over the last while! And yes, I haven't forgotten about my film backlog of SnowdenThe Unbelievable TruthTime (all on Amazon Prime), and Zero de Conduite, on the Internet Archive. My next pick will be Snowden. Sometime. Watch this space.. as ever..

And London Social Detours is back on Friday, with another British Heroes and Villains talk. Well, I'll risk it - although I reserve the right to sign off again if that angry chipmunk starts chirping!

No comments:

Post a Comment