Monday 12 October 2020

Concert: Celine Byrne

Well, it was a happy coincidence that my mother got tired tonight of watching the endless misery-tv that now occupies the current affairs programmes. After an interview with an elderly celebrity terrified of catching Covid, another with a priest who's ministered to the dying.. she'd had enough. So I had the idea of looking online for the Wexford Opera Festival, which I'd heard was going online this year. Turns out it doesn't start till the 20th - but lo, they had a one-hour introductory concert tonight! A solo concert by soprano Celine Byrne, accompanied by a solo pianist.

Ah, but it's lovely to hear opera again! It's free - I invite all to listen in. A mixture of popular songs and popular arias - predictably, my favourite of the arias is Mi Chiamano Mimi, from La Boheme, my favourite opera. Also gorgeous to hear familiar tunes, given an operatic treatment. Fast-forward to 12 minutes in, though - they take that long to tune the piano! And stay on at the end for a Broadway musical encore.. What excellent timing that concert was, for me.

On Saturday, back to film again for me.. it's about time I watched Milk, which is now coming up on my list. Stars Sean Penn in the true story of California's first openly gay elected official, Harvey Milk. Available on Amazon Prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment