Monday 18 September 2017

Storytelling: Eaten Father, Eaten Mother

Tonight, I was to be off to Showstopper! at the Lyric. Ticket courtesy of From the Box Office again. I have actually seen this before - but, being an improvised musical, it literally is different every time! But you'll never guess - the Crick Crack Club finally announced their autumn schedule recently, and I ended up at Eaten Father, Eaten Mother by Ben Haggerty. In Soho Theatre, first time in ages. Finally advertised by their Meetup group just recently, jeez!

A very short walk from the office, so I could stay on and - well, work! A punishing climb to the upstairs theatre when I got there, and as usual, I was asked not to leave a spare seat - they were expecting a packed house. They always have one, too. And when the Great Man started to speak, I was reminded instantly why I love these evenings, and how much I'd missed them over the summer. In this 30th year of Crick Crack, he started by explaining to us how they started - why, even the story of their beginnings would leave you enthralled, the way he told it!

Three stories filled the night - a session of over two hours, plus interval: long for a storyteller. But he's a master. I actually thought he started off a little hoarse - not a bit of it, he didn't even need the glass of water that was one of the only two props for the first section; the other was a stool. For the second, he ringed the stage with lights, and brought out some musical instruments:


He described this evening's tales as "oldies" - not to me, they weren't, although they covered slightly familiar themes. Audience participation was strongly encouraged - we could guess characters' names, plot developments (we'd be right).. and as ever, Ben Haggerty has a wonderfully theatrical style of storytelling that enthrals. He brings to life demons, heroes.. In turns hilarious and terrifying, it was no wonder that, as I walked away afterwards, someone behind me remarked to her companion that - seriously, she'd have some nightmares tonight!

The title refers to the single story he left for after the break. A fabulously surreal fairytale, the rhyme that appears in it continues - "Eaten both your older brothers.." And if you heard what spoke it, you'd be as agape as the characters in the story! Much weirder than a conventional witch.. and a much weirder escape, with a truly profound message. I'd love to know where he gets these - not exactly typical children's tales, for sure.

Afterwards, my walk home was slightly detoured by roadworks. Looking forward to my next Crick Crack - although they have a terrible habit of scheduling events on days when I'm already booked! Tomorrow, I was back with the Scarlet Ladies, for a talk entitled 100 Women - Their Breasts, Their Stories. No longer, of course - now I'm joining London Science Talks and Museums Meetup for a talk at the Alan Turing Institute about the future of data in public life. Most pertinent, given the talk I was at recently.

Wednesday was Funzing (London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night, as usual) and Jennifer Rees again - this time, a fun talk about the Psychology of Batman Villains! The first of hers for which I managed to get a 30% discount.. and it's on nice and close to me again. Seems to be a feature of her talks! How and ever, London Literary Walks are off on The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood Walk that night. And since that's on even closer to me - and I feel bad about missing the last two - well, I couldn't refuse, now could I?

Thursday, it was free comedy in Hammersmith - with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and GreenwichRandom London, and DiscoverLDN.UK. But yay, I have my alternative at last! Going to some comedy I have to pay for, which will probably be better. Mae Martin is at Soho Theatre. Advertised by a group called Moxie Ladies.. good luck to them, but as they charge extra, I'm going solo.

And on Friday, it was the same free comedy - with DiscoverLDN.UK. But, d'you know, it was only last week I remembered they'd actually cancelled it! I'm now off to Proof, at The Courtyard.. with the (un-nameable) club that charges £3.60.

On Saturday, I was to do the same comedy, but am now headed to the launch of Rob Luft's new album, Riser, at King's Place. As advertised by The London Jazz Meetup. I finally ended up paying their membership fee after booking an event with them the other day, for November, which someone is attending that I know. So I figured it was wiser!

I had booked the same free comedy, with the same group, on Sunday, but was again saved - this time, by the World Music Meetup! They're off to see Kefaya, in Nell's Jazz and Blues bar, back in my old stomping ground of North End Road! Happy days, when I was working there..

Next Monday, a group called Theatre and Stuff is off to see Prism, at Hampstead Theatre. They're charging extra to go with them, though - so I happily bought my own ticket. What the hey, odds are I won't know any of them anyway.

On the 26th September, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats - to see Wings, at the Young Vic. Accidentally booked standing, I think.. :-/

On the 27th September, with Up in the Cheap Seats again - for Jekyll & Hyde, presented by the National Youth Theatre, at the Ambassadors Theatre.

On the 28th September, I was with another new group: London, Surrey and Beyond.. for an event called "A Unique Experience. Olde Pub, Gerry's Private Club, 2 'i's Famous Fish 'n' Chips". Which says it all, really! But then TunedIn advertised flamenco at Sands Films.. irresistible really. So I've booked that instead. And just now RSVPed with the World Music Meetup, who finally got around to advertising it. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 2nd October, I had booked at Hampstead Theatre, for No One Will Tell Me How to Start a RevolutionNorth London Friends are attending - and charging extra, so I was going it alone! But now it turns out I'm spending the week in the Stockholm office - back on the 8th.

On the 3rd October, it was free comedy in Hammersmith - nominally. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich. So, that was easy to cancel, for Stockholm!

On the 4th October was Up in the Cheap Seats and Labour of Love, with Martin Freeman, at the Noel Coward Theatre. Cheapest tickets from the venue, for once!

On the 5th October, same group - headed to see the Company Wayne McGregor, at Sadler's Wells.

And finally! on the 6th October, headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for that group - almost as busy a group as I am a person! So, four things in all I had to cancel, without refund.. what the hey, I'll doubtless be saving money in Stockholm! Expenses paid, after all.

On the 9th October, I'm finally going to see the show so many people have asked me whether I'm seeing. Ink is showing at the Duke of York's Theatre. 

On the 10th October, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Ballet Boyz at Sadler's Wells.

On the 11th October, back with Funzing for a talk on Revolution in Iran: Girl with a Gun. This will be an interview with a female Kurdish revolutionary.. on the Battersea Barge, which I believe can get choppy. Never mind. This is one I got for free, for completing a loyalty card with three talks.

On the 12th October, Let's Do This are back to St. Martin-in-the-Fields, where London Concertante is performing Bach Violin Concertos. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 16th October, back at Southwark Playhouse with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, it's for A Day By the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment