Tuesday 19 September 2017

Debate: The Future of Data in Public Life

Tonight, I was to be back with the Scarlet Ladies, for a talk entitled 100 Women - Their Breasts, Their Stories. No longer, of course - quit that group, and instead joined London Science Talks and Museums Meetup for a talk at the Alan Turing Institute about the future of data in public life. Most pertinent, given the talk I was at recently.

Had a late meeting at work - it was walking distance to the British Library, where this was held, and although doors opened at 6, which was when the group suggested we meet, the talk wasn't actually on until half past. So I made that easily. Cool that it was here - I'd never been before!



The "Knowledge Centre" we were looking for was easy to find, and I made my way in. There is a cloakroom on the ground floor, but I didn't make use of it, heading straight up to the bar.


Very nice vibe about the place, with soft jazz playing in the background, comfy seats, and wide reception areas - I liked it very much, which is good, as I'm booked to return there in December (of which, more anon)! Now, as to the group: some groups, such as those of the sadly departed Man with the Hat, are actively friendly. The organiser makes a concerted effort to ensure that people can find the group, telling them what they're wearing, where they'll be, carrying a Meetup sign.. that sort of thing. Others make no effort to meet up at all, being purely advertising channels.

This one? I have a feeling it falls in the middle, and that the members do meet. However, it seems to fall into that category of group that makes no effort at all to attract new members, and for sure, when I arrived, in no way could I identify them. Now, I had two options for contacting them; I could have put a message on the Meetup page, saying I was there and could someone identify themselves (I've had no response to that, previously): or I could have stood in the middle and shouted "Anyone here in Meetup?!" I was tired - didn't sleep terribly well last night - and didn't feel like doing either of those things. So I just went straight in and nabbed a good seat.

Ooh, what a lovely lecture theatre! They didn't have the like when I was lecturing.. plush, upholstered chairs to sit in, gently rising steps, subdued lighting. A porthole, letting in light from the outside, over which a swish electronic blind descended when the talk was to start. A pleasant scent. Yes, very nice! The panel consisted of four speakers - a couple of academics, a journalist, a chap investigating the government's use of data.. think Cambridge Analytica and the recent Brexit referendum. And a most entertaining chair.

Initially, she gave each speaker 10 minutes to sum up their position. Some fascinating arguments were raised at this point - one chap wanted us to consider what information we're being fed, and how it's biased according to our perceived preferences. So, for example, our Facebook newsfeed is prioritised according to what they think we will like.. so we only get one side of the argument.

The journalist was subbing for someone who couldn't make it - but made a very interesting point about how organisations might make their data freely available, but in a format that's useless to you. So, for example, they publish all their information in a file too large to download!

The guy investigating the government made it clear that he couldn't reveal any particulars about what he's doing, but gave a very polished presentation about the necessity for regulation in matters of public accountability.

And finally, the second academic, bless her, gave a slide presentation that was far too long, but potentially very interesting (she had to rush through it, so we missed most of the points) about artificial intelligence. Apparently, she has an interest in the ethics of AI.

It was then opened to the floor - and an enthusiastic floor it proved, with plenty of contributors. Issues raised included.. at the Nuremberg trials, why - when base rules were set for medical ethics, following the experiments of Mengele, were similar standards not set out for the handling of data? Why, indeed, was IBM not prosecuted for its role in helping the Nazis to collate data about the people it wished to persecute?

Predictably, most of the interest after the main speakers had finished was directed towards the guy investigating Cambridge Analytica. He didn't give much away - but the academic beside him gave us an interesting anecdote, about senior members of Cambridge Analytica, who had expressed private concerns to her about the way in which the data they had provided had been used.. I suspect they're going to get very bad press before this is all through!

Fascinating evening, and I'm glad I came. Afterwards, we got a free glass of wine - and lo, when mine was running low, someone happened along to top it up! Very much appreciated, and I look forward to coming back here again. I still didn't make contact with the group, and made my way home after - nice n early. Looking forward to a nice early night and a long sleep now, hopefully!

Tomorrow was Funzing (London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night, as usual) and Jennifer Rees again - this time, a fun talk about the Psychology of Batman Villains! The first of hers for which I managed to get a 30% discount.. and it's on nice and close to me again. Seems to be a feature of her talks! How and ever, London Literary Walks are off on The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood Walk that night. And since that's on even closer to me - and I feel bad about missing the last two - well, I couldn't refuse, now could I?

Thursday, it was free comedy in Hammersmith - with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and GreenwichRandom London, and DiscoverLDN.UK. But yay, I have my alternative at last! Going to some comedy I have to pay for, which will probably be better. Mae Martin is at Soho Theatre. Advertised by a group called Moxie Ladies.. good luck to them, but as they charge extra, I'm going solo.

And on Friday, it was the same free comedy - with DiscoverLDN.UK. But, d'you know, it was only last week I remembered they'd actually cancelled it! I'm now off to Proof, at The Courtyard.. with the (un-nameable) club that charges £3.60. And I don't book that free comedy any more, considering I'm unlikely ever again to go to it.

On Saturday, I was to do the same comedy, but am now headed to the launch of Rob Luft's new album, Riser, at King's Place. As advertised by The London Jazz Meetup. I finally ended up paying their membership fee after booking an event with them the other day, for November, which someone is attending that I know. So I figured it was wiser!

I had booked the same free comedy, with the same group, on Sunday, but was again saved - this time, by the World Music Meetup! They're off to see Kefaya, in Nell's Jazz and Blues bar, back in my old stomping ground of North End Road! Happy days, when I was working there..

On Monday, a group called Theatre and Stuff is off to see Prism, at Hampstead Theatre. They're charging extra to go with them, though - so I happily bought my own ticket. What the hey, odds are I won't know any of them anyway.

Next Tuesday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats - to see Wings, at the Young Vic. Accidentally booked standing, I think.. :-/

On the 27th September, with Up in the Cheap Seats again - for Jekyll & Hyde, presented by the National Youth Theatre, at the Ambassadors Theatre.

On the 28th September, I was with another new group: London, Surrey and Beyond.. for an event called "A Unique Experience. Olde Pub, Gerry's Private Club, 2 'i's Famous Fish 'n' Chips". Which says it all, really! But then TunedIn advertised flamenco at Sands Films.. irresistible really. So I've booked that instead. And then RSVPed with the World Music Meetup, who finally got around to advertising it. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 2nd October, I had booked at Hampstead Theatre, for No One Will Tell Me How to Start a RevolutionNorth London Friends are attending - and charging extra, so I was going it alone! But now it turns out I'm spending the week in the Stockholm office - back on the 8th.

On the 3rd October, it was free comedy in Hammersmith - nominally. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich. So, that was easy to cancel, for Stockholm!

On the 4th October was Up in the Cheap Seats and Labour of Love, with Martin Freeman, at the Noel Coward Theatre. Cheapest tickets from the venue, for once!

On the 5th October, same group - headed to see the Company Wayne McGregor, at Sadler's Wells.

And finally! on the 6th October, headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for that group - almost as busy a group as I am a person! So, four things in all I had to cancel, without refund.. what the hey, I'll doubtless be saving money in Stockholm! Expenses paid, after all.

On the 9th October, I'm finally going to see the show so many people have asked me whether I'm seeing. Ink is showing at the Duke of York's Theatre. 

On the 10th October, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Ballet Boyz at Sadler's Wells.

On the 11th October, back with Funzing for a talk on Revolution in Iran: Girl with a Gun. This will be an interview with a female Kurdish revolutionary.. on the Battersea Barge, which I believe can get choppy. Never mind. This is one I got for free, for completing a loyalty card with three talks.

On the 12th October, Let's Do This are back to St. Martin-in-the-Fields, where London Concertante is performing Bach Violin Concertos. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 16th October, back at Southwark Playhouse with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, it's for A Day By the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment