Tuesday 26 September 2017

Play: Wings

Tonight, I was back with Up in the Cheap Seats - to see Wings, at the Young Vic. Booked the cheapest ticket I could get - the gallery - and was then worried I'd be standing; another member of the group had bought a Lucky Dip ticket, which carries the warning that that might be the case for that class of ticket, and I was worried I'd plumped for it automatically. Oh well, I'd just have to see..

Took myself down there in good time. It was just a little bit too far to walk - and I'm wearing non-walking shoes today anyway - so I took the bus, and arrived at about, I dunno, 10 to 7? We weren't to meet until 7. I picked up my ticket - and happened across the Lucky Dip person, who'd apparently arrived really early in the hopes of getting a good seat, from the unallocated ones - only to discover that they wouldn't give her a seat until all the others were seated, and they could choose from what was left. She was a bit worried she'd be standing, and a bit sorry she'd chosen that.. Anyway, I stayed and chatted with her until they opened the doors and I made my way upstairs, as instructed.

Now, I've never been in the gallery here before, and I'm not sure it was even open to the public. I don't remember more than two levels here. However, tonight, I was asked to stand "over there" until someone came to "lead me up". (?!) When a few of us had similarly gathered, a guy did indeed appear, and asked us to follow him. I was beginning to be afraid I would, indeed, be standing. Well, he led us up a twisting staircase - I was sure I could hear the wind, whistling through the rafters - and when we finally got up there, to my relief, there were benches.

I had to squeeze past some people on the way to my seat, H47. Which is half of an upholstered bench, shared with H48. I was rather unnerved to discover that it wasn't actually properly fastened to the floor, and tended to lean forward when I sat on it! ..and clanked against the wall, when I pushed myself back to let others pass. Not unique, that - the bench beside it did the same, I noticed. I also noticed a screwdriver down the back of the seats - maybe they're not quite finished putting these in place..? Have to say, legroom wasn't spectacular - there were things you could kind of lean your feet on, but not really comfortably, and the bench is so high off the ground that my feet were dangling, otherwise, which I also found uncomfortable. The bench itself, I found comfy enough.

The play stars Juliet Stevenson - who dominates proceedings, being onstage throughout - as a former aviator and wing-walker, now suffering from an inability to speak, following a stroke. Well, I say she's onstage - actually, she spends most of her time suspended above it, swooping and twisting in a harness. Kudos to her for delivering a performance under those circumstances - frequently upside-down! and, as we all agreed afterwards, a compelling one, too. Very evocative of her former profession, the staging has film from flights projected onto screens that run on both sides of the stage - this performance is equally well-viewed from either side. And the aerial sequences are wonderfully dream-like. In a nice touch, as she becomes more lucid, she comes ever closer to the earth - even capable of sitting down.

It did drag a little in the middle, and wasn't to everyone's taste - but I thought it was excellent, with a standout performance by the lead, as I say. Recommended, as a very interesting night out - runs until 4 November, booking advised - it was nearly sold out tonight, on a Tuesday!

Rather a relief to get down to terra more firma. This group has several different organisers, and although we met up outside afterwards, there was no move from this one to go anywhere for a drink. I do miss that from the Man with the Hat.. he always had a pub lined up, for those who wanted it. Well, at least it means earlier nights for me..

Tomorrow, I was with Up in the Cheap Seats again - for Jekyll & Hyde, presented by the National Youth Theatre, at the Ambassadors Theatre. Which would have been interesting. But gee, of course, London Literary Walks is out again - King's Cross and John Betjeman, this one. Likely to be the last of the year - I couldn't miss it.

On Thursday, I was with another new group: London, Surrey and Beyond.. for an event called "A Unique Experience. Olde Pub, Gerry's Private Club, 2 'i's Famous Fish 'n' Chips". Which says it all, really! But then TunedIn advertised flamenco at Sands Films.. irresistible really. So I've booked that instead. And then RSVPed with the World Music Meetup, when they finally got around to advertising it. (I see that London, Surrey and Beyond event has been cancelled now, for lack of interest.) Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On Monday, I had booked at Hampstead Theatre, for No One Will Tell Me How to Start a RevolutionNorth London Friends are attending - and charging extra, so I was going it alone! But now it turns out I'm spending the week in the Stockholm office - back on the 8th.

Next Tuesday, it was free comedy in Hammersmith - nominally. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich. So, that was easy to cancel, for Stockholm!

On the 4th October was Up in the Cheap Seats and Labour of Love, with Martin Freeman, at the Noel Coward Theatre. Cheapest tickets from the venue, which I'm finding lately has been the norm!

On the 5th October, same group - headed to see the Company Wayne McGregor, at Sadler's Wells.

And finally! on the 6th October, headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for that group - almost as busy a group as I am a person! So, four things in all I had to cancel, without refund.. what the hey, I'll doubtless be saving money in Stockholm! Expenses paid, after all.

On the 9th October, I'm finally going to see the show so many people have asked me whether I'm seeing. Ink is showing at the Duke of York's Theatre. 

On the 10th October, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Ballet Boyz at Sadler's Wells.

On the 11th October, back with Funzing (London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) for a talk on Revolution in Iran: Girl with a Gun. This will be an interview with a female Kurdish revolutionary.. on the Battersea Barge, which I believe can get choppy. Never mind. This is one I got for free, for completing a loyalty card with three talks.

On the 12th October, Let's Do This are back to St. Martin-in-the-Fields, where London Concertante is performing Bach Violin Concertos. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 16th October, back at Southwark Playhouse with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, it's for A Day By the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment