Saturday 6 May 2017

Play: Nell Gwynn

The Globe last night, for Nell Gwynn. Booked ages ago, because there was nothing on Meetup, I love the venue, and the play sounded perfect for it. Good reviews too, saying it was great fun! Then, would you believe it, London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) popped up, headed to the same thing on the same night. Fair enough, and I RSVPed that I'd go with them - we were to buy our own tickets anyway.

Now, I'm lucky enough to get fed in our office. However, with this having been a short week, they only had one food delivery - and by yesterday, pickings were slim. So I ended up getting a takeaway from Caffe Milan, just downstairs. Cheap and delicious - highly recommended! I tend to go for the carbonara - but without the cheese, which I find overpowering.

They were meeting at 6 - of course, I was a bit late; to be fair, I was walking, and it's a little bit of a trek. Anyway, I'd wrapped up - the last time I was at the Globe, it was freezing, and given the recent drop in temperatures, I wasn't optimistic. They were to meet at The Swan, but when I arrived there (at about 6:30), it was packed! I can see why the Man with the Hat doesn't come here on weekends. Not seeing them, I tried the Meetup app - as usual, it wasn't loading (dreadful app, and I try to avoid using it when I can). Texted the organiser, who said they'd decamped to The Real Greek. (Sensibly, but you'd think she might have mentioned that beforehand.) And when I made my way down there (just a bit further, along the river), I had to text again to find out where, exactly.

So, they were in the conservatory. They had a table for five, but apparently one was running late anyway, and there was plenty of space for me. Roasting hot there, I have to say, under the heating lamps that line the edge of the roof - but that was very welcome, after the gusty walk I'd had across the bridge! They hadn't even gotten around to ordering food yet - honestly, I was still stuffed after lunch, and just ordered a glass of wine. They ordered meze, which came cutely presented on small plates on a little cake plate stand - the perfect presentation, really.

Now, different groups tend to attract different sorts. And this group attracts a lot of people who don't seem able to participate in a conversation without dominating it. I swear - it's simply ages since I've felt SO locked-out of a conversation. It was ridiculous. The organiser isn't so bad, but she was busy eating - the other two were not only discussing a whole list of plays I hadn't seen yet, most of which I hadn't even heard of (I have a wider range of interests), but at such a pace that it was impossible to get a word in edgeways, even when they got onto the subject of books, and I might have had a contribution to make. I spent most of the meal staring out the window, and was glad when we left for the theatre.



We were all sat apart, of course - I'd picked one of the cheapest seats available, right around by the edge: but I'm used to it, from the Man with the Hat's events..



Sumptuous set design - but the curtains flapped about in the breeze, which just caught me, where I was sat. Dear God, it was cold - appreciably colder than the last time I was here (mind you, I'd been in the back row last time, and this time was in the front, and exposed). I was glad to have gloves - and even two pairs of woolly tights couldn't keep my legs warm. I was to regret not renting one of the venue's bright red blankets!

But hey, I survived. And a jollier, cheekier, play I couldn't have imagined (nor a more suitable one for the venue). Pity poor Nell though, who for most of the production had her shoulders bared, in the freezing cold - and there were plenty of others with at least bare forearms, all of whom I sympathised with: but you know, not a sign of discomfort did they give.

This is a jolly romp through the life of Nell, probably the lowest-class of Charles II's mistresses. And the characters suit the description - Nell (Laura Pitt-Pulford) is a delight: the  perfect "pretty, witty whore", as described by Pepys. With a lovely singing voice. Ben Righton is a good foil as Charles II - but the one the LDAM organiser had come to see, the reason that she broke her resolve of not coming here, was Sam Marks, who gave a sterling rendition of Charles Harte, the actor who persuaded Nell onto the stage in the fist place, which was how she caught the king's eye.

It's funny, it's bawdy, and it fits the venue, as I say. It really paints a sympathetic portrait of Nell, the street girl made good, and you leave humming the catchy tunes. And I absolutely loved it! Runs until Saturday - highly recommended.

I didn't bother finding people at the interval, considering my experience beforehand. Afterwards, I actually spotted the organiser on my way out, and followed her to The Swan. (Glorious to be inside, in the heat!) We were to be the only two, mind you - one of the others bailed, and I don't believe she ever heard from the other two after the show. Fair play to her, she ordered nibbles - none of which I fancied, and bread had to be ordered separately, as she discovered. I had a couple of slices of that. And we discussed how the Man with the Hat is taking a break.. I could see her calculating how I could glean her some members from his groups, but I can foresee two immediate problems with that: firstly, I don't think they'd get on with some of her members (they're a friendlier bunch, and wouldn't put up with this nonsense). And secondly, they don't favour the posh venues that she does.

A long walk home, via the office. I might have blogged last night, in the office - but it was getting very late.. and I knew this would be a long one.. and I needed to get my feet out of those boots, which were quite tight. Anyway! tonight, I'm joining the London European Club (LEC) for a classical concert at the Royal Festival Hall. Oh joy, they're playing Beethoven's 9th. Some confusion over where we're to meet, but never mind. LDAM has a double-bill today, in the Arcola, but it wasn't convenient, and I wasn't that pushed anyway. Especially after yesterday - this is a group that often leaves me with a bad feeling.

I hadn't anything formally booked for tomorrow - but Ken's (uniformly bad) Events are tramping along the Thames Path. Now, it's funny, but someone was recently pointing out how "some groups" book walks - in parks - and charge for the privilege. "There's money in them thar hills", as he said. So yes, I was planning to do this walk - on my own - for free: but then ShowFilmFirst rescued me by offering £1 tickets to see John Hastings. In the Phoenix Artist Club, for goodness' sake, which is right behind my office! (Pity it isn't a workday, that'd be handy.) So I booked that, because I've seen him, and he's good.

On Monday, Crick Crack storytelling is back! Gee, it feels like an age. Anyway, I'm off to see a show called Uncaged, in Soho Theatre. Whoop-de-do, I can walk there again!

On Tuesday, I'm taking myself to Half a Sixpence, just a short walk from the office again. Best value I found was with Amazon Tickets.

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks of course - and I'm looking forward to this one more than most - it's The Chaucer Walk, and I do love things medieval!

Thursday is a red-letter day, with the last scheduled Meetup of the Man with the Hat. Both groups (London for Less Than a Tenner standing, and Let's Do London- for less! in seats, as usual) are headed to the Globe for Romeo and Juliet. It'll be poignant.. but the production itself will be controversial, from what I hear, being - shall we say, avant-garde. As usual, I'll reserve judgement till I see for myself. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 15th & 16th, I'm off to Pint of Science - following a theme, given my background, I'm headed to a talk on Small Is Beautiful (quantum physics) on Monday and one on Across the Universe (cosmology, and now sold out) on Tuesday. Rock on..

On the 17th, London Literary Walks is off to Highbury. And so am I.

On the 18th, I'm booked for free comedy in Hammersmith, with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon & Greenwich, Random London, and London Live Comedy. Something, frankly, that I usually cancel, but you never know - nothing better has yet come up for this night!

On the 19th, I saw that London Social Detours (a side-shoot of Ken's Events) were charging £3 to go to the free jazz concert at the Royal Academy. So I was going to go on my own. Free. But then the LEC advertised a Norwegian Dixieland concert at Jamboree.. well, that sounded like more fun, so now I'm going to that instead.

On the 20th, I'm doing something local - a guided walk on Residents, Rascals & Riots, in Holborn. With London for a Tenner or Less.

The 21st, LDAM is headed out of town. We're going all the way to Northampton, to see a couple of Shakespearian plays, one directed by one of her members. Richard II, to be precise, with Titus Andronicus to whet our appetites. No-one has signed up apart from me, but what the hey I've never been there, so it'll be interesting.

On the 22nd, I'm off to Ugly Lies the Bone, at the Lyttleton.

On the 23rd, Funzing UK is taking me to an Infinitease Burlesque Show. Probably up in Leytonstone, so if anything better comes up in the meantime, I'm up for it!

The 24th was supposed to be the Man with the Hat's last event, but he had to cancel. Instead, I discovered that the UL Alumni Association (UL is my alma mater) is holding a talk on Brexit that night - so that'll be nice.

The 25th, Crick Crack is back - at Crouch End Arthouse again, unfortunately. It's just so far! Still going, of course. Then I'm back to Ireland for the Bank Holiday weekend again - and taking the bank holiday, this time!

On the 30h, LDAM are at the Olivier to see Common. So am I.. on a cheap Travelex ticket, which I booked direct with the venue.

On the 31st, free comedy in Hammersmith is up again (temporarily, at least), with the above groups, plus London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers (another offshoot of Ken's Events).

On 1 June, I eschewed the free comedy in Hammersmith for the Ghosts & Executions Tour, with London for a Tenner or Less - even though that guide wasn't great the last time, so I cancelled this previously, he's better than that free comedy!

Then I'm off down to Helen for the weekend - she told me about this Living History Festival, and I said yes please!

The 5th, I'm back to Soho Theatre with the Crick Crack Club, for something called The Frog Priuncess - Punked. Cool..

And the 6th June, I'm with the LEC, to see the Images Ballet Company at the Arts Depot.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete