Wednesday 24 May 2017

Burlesque: Rock & Roll Revue

Yesterday, I'd booked with Funzing UK for an Infinitease Burlesque Show. In Leytonstone, so if anything better came up in the meantime, I was up for it! That's a terribly long way out. Anyway, the other day I got an email about cheap tickets - apparently there's a burlesque festival on - in Hackney, which is a bit closer. And a lot cheaper. So I booked for that instead - Funzing can be cancelled up to 48 hours in advance without penalty.

A long way, still.. nearly an hour by bus, but I could get one straight there, not much walking required (handy for those blisters). However, I needed to go to the loo just before I left, and sure enough, that made me late, and I could see my bus pulling away from the stop as I made my sluggish way through the crowds that are constant here. Ironically, had they been willing to take on passengers in the middle of the road, I'd have been fine - they were stuck in traffic for ages! No, that was the last bus that would've got me there in time, so I consulted my Maps app and chose the Central Line and bus option. At least I was already en route to the station!

Well, now I was running slightly early. Got a seat on the Tube, had a read of the paper, got quite emotional at the awful stories of the victims of Monday's terror attack in Manchester. Got off at Bethnal Green - how lovely, they have the bus stops on the direction signs! which made it very easy, as Google Maps always gives the bus stop. It wasn't long before the 254 arrived, and seven stops later, I got off in Hackney.

A quick walk - turn right, then right again - got me to the Moth Club. A cloth-capped man was talking to a couple of ladies at the gate at the far end - sure enough, that was the entrance. It's a small building, and the first door sternly proclaims "Exit Only" - the second door, behind the gate, has "Entrance" scrawled on it in chalk. As I approached, he looked at me suspiciously - "Do you have a ticket?" "Well, I have an email." "I need to see it." So much for the people I booked it with saying I didn't need to produce it, they'd have my name on a list! Huh. No lists here. Well, I found it after a minute, he scrawled on my hand, and I was in.

A small bar inside, with an unassuming door to the side - a sign over it says "Smoking Area" in one direction and "Venue" in the other. Two friendly ushers at the door to the venue - one examined my hand, and explained that I was general seating, and could sit anywhere to the back. It was pretty full. After I got a drink. I found a seat to the back, near the side - not ideal, but what can you do. There were booths, which I guess you could have if you booked with the venue direct.

Well, it's more salubrious than the one in Leytonstone..


Burlesque is pretty predictable - someone (usually a woman) gets on stage and does a striptease to music, getting down to her bra and panties. She then removes the bra to reveal nipple tassels. It gets old pretty quickly, so the trick is to make it unusual. We had the ridiculous wig:


..some dressed up for the occasion:


..and, after a shorter list of acts than the last time I saw burlesque, we finished with a very weird, voodoo-style number:


But hey, this was a Rock and Roll Revue, and the music was the true star of the show, with the awesome Thunderstruck proving the evening's highlight for me. JUST what's needed after an unexpectedly shitty day.

Burlesque is always good fun - recommended. Afterwards, a quick walk around the corner got me to a stop that had a bus that would take me to within walking distance of home. And yay, there's a Tesco across the road, and I was in time to grab a bottle of wine to go with a late dinner. Alcohol is also a good cure-all.

Tonight was supposed to be the Man with the Hat's last event, but he had to cancel. Instead, I discovered that the UL Alumni Association (UL is my alma mater) is holding a talk on Brexit. And I was going to go to that - but lo, Funzing came up with something better! So then I was going to Urban Legends of London. But do you know, I completely forgot to mention that the World Music Meetup then advertised a Brazilian concert in Sands Film Studios - adore that venue. So that's now where I'm going! and barring the proverbial accident, fire, or flood, that's final. Appropriately summery weather for it, too - cue the rapid emergence of summer clothes.

Tomorrow, Crick Crack is back - at Crouch End Arthouse again, unfortunately. It's just so far! Still going, of course - the more especially because it's Michael Harvey! He's worth the trip. Then I'm back to Ireland for the Bank Holiday weekend again - and taking the bank holiday, this time!

On Tuesday, London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) are at the Olivier to see Common. So am I.. on a cheap Travelex ticket, which I booked direct with the venue. So I'll be avoiding them, since they don't appreciate that.

Next Wednesday, free comedy in Hammersmith was up again (temporarily), with Random LondonFree Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and GreenwichLondon Live Comedy, and London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers (an offshoot of Ken's Events). But yay, it's now been replaced by another Funzing event, with London for a Tenner or Less - a Luxury Chocolate eveningHelen's popping along, too. The code Fun_Day10 got us a 10% discount.

On 1 June, I eschewed the free comedy in Hammersmith for the Ghosts & Executions Tour, with London for a Tenner or Less - even though that guide wasn't great the last time, so I cancelled this previously, he's better than that free comedy! Oh, and the code WELLBEING30 got me 30% off this. How it qualifies as "well-being" I don't know, but I'm not complaining! ..but on Sunday, one of the Man with the Hat's old group got in touch, and now a half-dozen of us have organised to get together in the Swan that day - we'd hate to lose touch. Not including said Man with the Hat, mind you - in a rather melodramatic touch, he's now shunning all contact with us. Hey, I understand if he has other commitments - but blanking us completely is a bit extreme, dontcha think?

Then I'm off down to Helen for the weekend - she told me about this Living History Festival, and I said yes please!

The 5th, I'm back to Soho Theatre with the Crick Crack Club, for something called The Frog Princess - PunkedBen Haggerty, the mc and co-founder of the club, told us the other night that there's going to be a full punk band - goodness, who would've thought that Sally Pomme Clayton had a hidden punk side!

And the 6th June, I'm with the London European Club, to see the Images Ballet Company at the Arts Depot.

No comments:

Post a Comment