Thursday 25 May 2017

Concert: Gabriela Kozyra & Luiz Morais

Last night was supposed to be the Man with the Hat's last event, but sadly he had to cancel. Instead, I discovered that the UL Alumni Association (UL is my alma mater) was holding a talk on Brexit. And I was going to go to that - but lo, Funzing came up with something better! So then I was going to Urban Legends of London. But do you know, I completely forgot to mention that the World Music Meetup then advertised a Brazilian concert in Sands Film Studios - adore that venue. So that's where I ended up going! (Funzing can be cancelled without penalty, up to 48 hours in advance.) Like the group, adore the venue. I don't get there enough. Appropriately summery weather for it, too.

First time I'd been there since I moved - it used to be a convenient hop on the Overground to Rotherhithe. Well, the Overground still goes to Rotherhithe - but not via the centre. I had the time, so took the bus - and since I left a bit early, and it was a gorgeous evening, I took the option of a longer walk and a direct bus.

A pleasant stroll got me to Kingsway just in time for the 188. A long, sweaty trip on that, and I got off at Southwark Park - interesting, as I'd never before approached Sands Films from this side. I cut through the park, and when I doubled back on myself, a helpful chap out photographing flowers asked whether I was lost. "Oh no, not at all!" Well, never for long, with Google Maps and its trail of blue breadcrumbs. Wending my way through housing estates, I finally got my best view yet of the church, and there was Sands Films, around the corner.

They'd left the door open for once, with the heat, and there was the organiser inside, greeting people. She had a good turnout in general, and a good few from the Meetup group.. I headed straight through to the performance space, which was open. Dunno why it's never yet occurred to me to take photos in here!

 























A velvety bench over the side looked comfy, and happily, I even had something to lean my head against! which was handy, because the soothing, jazzy sound of Gabriela Kozyra (who turns out to be Polish) and Luiz Morais was the perfect antidote to any kind of stress. Smooth sounds and a silken voice - I was so glad I'd come! and what a silver lining to the sad change in the plans of the Man with the Hat.


What was also nice was to meet up with other members of the group - one of whom insisted on photos! No sign of them yet on the site, though..

Tonight, Crick Crack is back - at Crouch End Arthouse again, unfortunately. It's just so far! Still going, of course - the more especially because it's Michael Harvey! He's worth the trip. Have brought a coat, just because I'll be out late. Then I'm back to Ireland for the Bank Holiday weekend again - and taking the bank holiday, this time!

On Tuesday, London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) are at the Olivier to see Common. So am I.. on a cheap Travelex ticket, which I booked direct with the venue. So I'll be avoiding them, since they don't appreciate that.

On Wednesday, free comedy in Hammersmith was up again (temporarily), with Random LondonFree Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and GreenwichLondon Live Comedy, and London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers (an offshoot of Ken's Events). But yay, it's now been replaced by another Funzing event, with London for a Tenner or Less - a Luxury Chocolate eveningHelen's popping along, too. The code Fun_Day10 got us a 10% discount.

Next Thursday, I eschewed the free comedy in Hammersmith for the Ghosts & Executions Tour, with London for a Tenner or Less - even though that guide wasn't great the last time, so I cancelled this previously, he's better than that free comedy! Oh, and the code WELLBEING30 got me 30% off this. How it qualifies as "well-being" I don't know, but I'm not complaining! ..but on Sunday, one of the Man with the Hat's old group got in touch, and now a half-dozen of us have organised to get together in the Swan that day - we'd hate to lose touch. Not including said Man with the Hat, mind you - in a rather melodramatic touch, he's now shunning all contact with us. Hey, I know he has other commitments - but I don't think it's wise to cut himself off completely - and so abruptly.

Then I'm off down to Helen for the weekend - she told me about this Living History Festival, and I said yes please!

The 5th, I'm back to Soho Theatre with the Crick Crack Club, for something called The Frog Princess - PunkedBen Haggerty, the mc and co-founder of the club, told us the other night that there's going to be a full punk band - goodness, who would've thought that Sally Pomme Clayton had a hidden punk side!

And the 6th June, I'm with the London European Club, to see the Images Ballet Company at the Arts Depot.

No comments:

Post a Comment