Tuesday 3 January 2017

Stand-Up Comedy at TNT Comedy

Wow, I'm back! Departing from a deserted airport, this time - the least busy I've seen it in months, literally. Which meant they didn't offer to check in hand luggage - which meant the first time in months I had to bring my case on board. But I did have a gallant gentleman sitting beside me, who asked whether I had a bag stored overhead, and lifted it down for me. Easily known he was of a previous generation..

Wasn't sure whether I'd feel like traipsing all the way to Kentish Town this evening - but you know, I had a relaxed day, with work not starting till next week, and said, why not? A check of Google Maps revealed that I could get the Overground to Gospel Oak and walk from there, so that's what I did. Of course, my determined plan to catch an earlier train than required didn't quite materialise, but I got the one I needed. And the 35-minute journey just gave me time to read the paper.

Turn left out of the station, past an interestingly named dog grooming service:


..take the first right onto Highgate Road, and The Vine is on the left. The traffic lights obliged me, and the whole walk took maybe ten minutes. I'd never been here before, and I have to say it's a lovely place! An old Edwardian building, large bar area, large windows, and a beer garden in front - this would be great on a sunny summer's day.


Well, I wouldn't have recognised anyone, as this was my first time with Dave's Stand-up Comedy - honestly, I'd have been at the free comedy in Hammersmith tonight, but they cancelled, for reasons unspecified. I've been there so often, just because it's closer. Anyway, I made my way to the bar - helpfully, there's a blackboard with a very informative wine list, from which I chose a pinot grigio. And I have to say, the advantage of having to cancel your card and get a new one is when the new one is contactless.. I used to be suspicious of it, but it's really so convenient.. (FYI, Paypal did give me my money back eventually, so apart from a bit of hassle, all's well that ends well. But I still cancelled my Ebay account.)

Well, another sign said the comedy didn't start till 8, so I was about half an hour early. I figured that was a bit early to head upstairs, so I mooched around. Where I was spotted by the TNT organiser, who did her organiser-y thing and found people for me to talk to. Sadly, although I remembered I was with Meetup, I completely forgot which specific group it was, when she asked! Hey-ho.. and this only organised by one group, too. Anyway, I ended up with a group of comedians, one of whom was to be on tonight - his very first time! So, much of the conversation naturally revolved around that, until the time came for us to head upstairs.

There's a function room straight off the landing, but the room used for this function is down the hall, at the end on the right. Past the toilets. Pretty snug - and I don't know what it is, but the crowd that this event attracts is huge in comparison to that in Hammersmith. If you arrive by the advertised time, you will get a seat - but in the end, not only was it standing room only, but they spilled out into the hall - audience, comedians, timekeeper.. the show was marked by a constant parade of folks peeping in and around the corner to see the performer.

Quite an extensive lineup, and I won't attempt to remember them all - most of whom I'd never heard of before, anyway. First up was Henry Ginsberg, whose parting joke was a memorable one about time-travelling child killers (you had to be there). Personally, the highlight of the first half for me was a young lady from Rochdale (Kathleen?), who just had a delivery made for comedy: one of those people that could make you laugh by reading the phone book, y'know? It can be tough to catch the names of people you don't know, generally introduced over the applause from the last act - and as someone was later to remark, it's a shame we couldn't always hear her properly, the mic wasn't terrific and you had to hold it really close. But she's one to watch. Whoever she is.

At the interval, I wouldn't have bothered heading to the bar, except that literally everyone in the room was. I bought a raffle ticket on the way out, and downstairs, ordered a chenin blanc this time - the pinot grigio was a bit insipid. Back upstairs, ran into the organiser, who'd located the other Meetup person (!), we chatted for a bit, and I got one of the sweets that were going around.

The second half began with the raffle, and was I glad I didn't win - the prizes were all beer. And I hate beer! Couldn't even have hidden the fact, as they had to chug them on the spot. Back to the comedians, and first up was that Liverpudlian whom I've seen a couple of times in Top Secret, and whose name I forgot the second time. Let the record show that this is Tom Ward! To be followed by.. lots of people, practically none of whose names I got. Shouldn't forget the routines in a hurry though - we had one guy who selected a volunteer to demonstrate how people's memories can be wiped by flashing lights and weird music coming from an iPhone.. we had someone desccribe how he got a date by pretending there'd been a zombie apocalypse (Part #1 of an ongoing saga).. and we had someone asking us to speculate whom they'd like in front of, and behind, them in a human centipede. Now, there's something it never occurred to me to wonder about..

Interesting things, these free comedy gigs - you get a variety of acts, experienced and not, and you might just hear some novel routines. Afterwards, I made my exit, heading a bit back the way I'd come, as far as the bus stop - just as well I'd passed it earlier, because it's completely obscured by trees in both directions. Which I'm pretty sure is illegal. Anyway, luckily it wasn't a long wait for the C2, on such a cold night. (The Overground doesn't run late at night, you see.) At Victoria, changed to the 170 - and how vexing it is to see that TFL still records it as stopping at Stop R, when in fact it doesn't any more, but from Stop G: back up the road and second right. I've complained - this has been going on for a while now. And a cold, shivery wait it was at Stop G, too - unable to see the numbers of the approaching buses, for all the vans parked in our way. Just as well the driver pulled in automatically.


Tomorrow, yay, I'm back with the Man with the Hat (no, not Santa Claus) - Let's Do London - for less! is off on their annual festive trip to The Nutcracker (ahh!) at the Opera House. Sold out performance, I see. It'll be great to see the folks again. And by then, I might have secured a new flat - I have a viewing in the afternoon for a flat very close to my new office. Wish me luck - looks like a good one.

Not much happening with Meetup at the end of the week - but when has that stopped me going out?! On Thursday, I'm headed to another festive tradition of mine - I love La Soirée, and the fact that I've already seen it twice - and it's much the same each time - makes no difference. I see I last saw it last January.. but for the first time, the Udderbelly Festival - which is hosting it - has now decamped to Leicester Square! I also discovered that the official tickets for that night were completely sold out - however, I could get tickets from no fewer than five different sources: ShowFilmFirst, OnlineTheatreTickets, TheatrePeople, LondonBoxOffice, and BestOfTheatre. All for a markup of over £10, at least on the cheapest tickets - whatever, I love the show, and this is near the end of the run. I was delighted to get a ticket at all. Booked with the first on the list - ShowFilmFirst; they were all the same price, anyway.

On Friday, in contrast, I got a cheap ticket (phew! that evens out a bit) - to Antigone, at Theatro Technis, in Camden. Hey, if I take that flat, I can move in on Friday - that'd be handier to travel there! Of course, I don't start work till next week, as I say.

Saturday has turned out unusually busy. See, a while ago, I saw that the guide on the excellent Christmas lights walk I did was doing a walk of Victorian Covent Garden that day, and I booked. Then the London European Club advertised an "Arab Christmas" - a concert of early Arab Christian chants! Ah well now.. unfortunately, it's on the same day as my walk. Fortunately, the walk is at lunchtime and the concert in the evening! I booked for that as well. Funnily enough, that's in Rich Mix, which is closer to my current flat - I may spend that night there, even if I have the other one by then.

On Sunday, I'm on another walk - again, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - same guide, different group from the Christmas Lights walk. This walk is charmingly entitled Heretics and Horrors - Exploring London's Bloody Past. And although I've heard much about them already, I don't doubt that this guide will shed new light on 'em..

On Monday, I'm with Kensington Classical Music, at Pushkin House, for a piano recital. Oh gosh, I do hope I get that flat - it's so close to this venue you wouldn't believe!!

Next Tuesday, London European Club has a very interesting evening planned - "Beat the January Blues and Discover the Curse of the Green Fairy". Basically, a lecture about absinthe, with tasting afterwards. Tragically, all tickets were sold out by the time I heard about it.. What the hey, I probably wouldn't like the taste anyway. With the free comedy in Hammersmith cancelled again, I'm with TNT Comedy again that night. Provisionally. But they were friendly folk, it's a lovely venue, and I wouldn't mind at all.

Wednesday 11th, the Man with the Hat is taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret - inaugural visit of the year. And walkable from my new office! I'm liking it..

Thursday 12th, again nothing on Meetup - instead, I'm going to the opening night of Amaluna, Cirque du Soleil's latest show, at the Albert Hall! Cheapest tickets from the venue website, as long as you don't mind a slightly restricted view - for my money, a handrail in my sightline shouldn't prove too much of an obstacle. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

Monday 16th, I've booked for Festival of the Spoken Nerd, at Soho Theatre. Yes, it's a comedy.

Tuesday 17th, I had signed up for free comedy in Hammersmith (!) with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and London Live Comedy. But.. then I saw that Funzing UK had advertised Rising Stars: East England Burlesque Festival 2017. So I booked that instead - hey, I can get straight there on the Central Line! And I love burlesque. After booking, I got an email from them to point out that there are two events there that night, and that to avoid confusion, the name of mine has been changed to "Star Watch"..

Wednesday 18th, I've signed up with London Speaks Sessions, London for a Tenner or Less (as usual, NOT to be confused with the Man with the Hat), and LDN Talks @Night (or more particularly with Funzing) for a talk on The Science of Psychedelics.

Thursday 19th, free comedy in Hammersmith.. same two groups as above.

Friday 20th, I'm finally headed to The Comedy About a Bank Robbery, at the Criterion Theatre. Same team that did The Play That Goes Wrong - which is excellent - so I'm looking forward to this. Best value tickets from the venue.

Saturday 21st, I'm out with the Man with the Hat again - this time, it's Woolf Works, a Wayne McGregor triptych, inspired by the works of Virginia Woolf and showing at the Royal Opera House. Both his groups are going - as usual, I have a cheap seat.

Sunday 22nd, the ever-busy Man with the Hat is headed (with Let's Do London - for less!) to a dance production - at Sadler's Wells, unusually for him. The Red Shoes, choreographed by Matthew Bourne, is completely sold out for its whole run. Our Man with the Hat has tickets, though.. but he held them back (under his hat, as you might say), with sales starting at 11am on New Year's Day. They sold out in 15 minutes - I checked. That's the speed of U2's ticket sales.. of course, being a seasoned purchaser of U2 tickets, I managed to get one. All he needs now are a stetson and some glasses.. (speaking of which, good news from the U2 camp. Watch this space..)

No comments:

Post a Comment