Friday 20 January 2017

Free Comedy in Hammersmith

Wow, it's ages since I've been to the free comedy in Hammersmith. Well, I finally made it last night.  Another place not in walking distance- less trouble travelling this evening though, I took the bus!

Made the stop at a perfect time- the handy indicator board said a bus was due in 2 minutes. And there it was. Great to be taking the bus again too - I do enjoy it. Handily- with me having gone over the data allowance on my phone, so it now charges me exorbitantly - flight mode still allows GPS to find me on the maps app, so I could happily turn off internet access until I got back in the domain of free WiFi.

Which they have in Hammersmith Grove. Gosh, every time I've been here before - well, since the start - I've driven! Felt weird not to be. Anyway, in I went - the place hasn't changed much, although I don't remember them having a fence before. Ordered a drink and made my way upstairs - the different Meetup groups I'd signed up with, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and London Live Comedy, had advertised the event as starting at 7, but I knew perfectly well it doesn't start till 8 or so, although they like to get people seated by 7:30.

I walked in, and there was the group organiser - Marvin - in a very fetching hat. Suits him, he should wear it more often. And he remembered me! And so did the MC, Sonia. Now, that's lovely, considering it's been a while since I was here. So, you know, I told them all about my new job and new accommodation.. I ended up sitting behind a group from Bristol: friendly folks who had three of their number performing. And so it was a genial atmosphere.

We started at about 7:50, with a middle-aged funny man called Paul.. unfortunately, I've forgotten his surname. Marvin did a turn, performing a "magic trick", and Jon Long performed a fast-paced set with a guitar. Star of the night for me though was Luke Oliver, the quick-talking Londoner with a cheeky grin. After the interval we had the Bristolians - as that was what we were told they were termed as - and a charmingly funny doctor called Benjie, whom I've seen before. And so we decamped into the cold, cold night, Marvin holding out that hat for donations at the door. And I could hardly refuse, after trumpeting my pay rise - could I?!

Well, what with being charged for data now, and no free WiFi at home, I'm holding off on going online from home until my allowance resets. So, no blogging last night - I actually got some more sleep than usual. Tonight, I'm finally headed to The Comedy About a Bank Robbery, at the Criterion Theatre. Same team that did The Play That Goes Wrong - which is excellent - so I'm looking forward to this. Best value tickets from the venue. And now that I have access to the guest WiFi at work, I'm perfectly happy to stay late at the office, which is closer..

Tomorrow, I'm out with the Man with the Hat again, after an unusually long break - this time, it's Woolf Works, a Wayne McGregor triptych, inspired by the works of Virginia Woolf and showing at the Royal Opera House. Both his groups are going: London for Less Than a Tenner, and Let's Do London - for less! As usual, I have a cheap seat.

On Sunday, the ever-busy Man with the Hat is headed (with Let's Do London - for less!) to a dance production - at Sadler's Wells, unusually for him. The Red Shoes, choreographed by Matthew Bourne, is completely sold out for its whole run. Our Man with the Hat has tickets, though.. but he held them back (under his hat, as you might say), with sales starting at 11am on New Year's Day. They sold out in 15 minutes - I checkedThat's the speed of U2's ticket sales.. of course, being a seasoned purchaser of U2 tickets, I managed to get one. All he needs now are a stetson and some glasses.. (Mind you, I think U2 broke records this year for speed of selling out. U2 are touring, you see, and I have tickets. Purchasing still in progress. Watch this space..)

On Monday, I've provisionally agreed to go to Cineworld with Mary. She won a couple of Cineworld vouchers in a raffle, you see, and has very kindly offered me one! The nearest to me are the cinemas in Leicester Square and Haymarket, and the best showing in them is La La Land, so that's the rough plan, as it stands.

Tuesday sees me at the Royal Society, for a talk on "Can our immune systems fight cancer?", a Meetup organised by the London European Club.

Wednesday, London for Less Than a Tenner is back at Top Secret.

On Thursday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club at last, at the Art House Crouch End. First meeting of the year, and not actually advertised on Meetup! I saw it on their flier for Crouch End, and booked. Anyway, the title is Rebranding Beelzebub, which is certainly enough to get me there! And I now live closer to it than I did the last time I was there.

Back to Ireland that weekend, and on Monday 30, I'm back with Funzing UK for Eat Zagi - an immersive dining & theatre experience. I had some fun booking it, when the bank thought it was a fraud and kindly stopped my card, so I had to ring them at 2am.. in the meantime, I did find a discount code, so it wasn't all bad. Try "EnjoyFunzing5". Actually, why not try "EnjoyFunzing10"? That's a code too. Anyway, againI'm closer to this venue in Finsbury Park than I was before..

Tuesday 31, I'm headed for Sex with Strangers at Hampstead Theatre. First Meetup of the year with London Dramatic Arts. Dunno, I think it was that she had seats at both levels of the theatre, so it would've been too hard to avoid them..

Wednesday 1, the Man with the Hat is starting the month again. Let's Do London - for less! is off to the Opera House for La Traviata.

Thursday 2, he's taking both groups to Cadogan Hall for a concert involving the works of Brahms and Elgar, among others.

Friday 3 promises to be unusual.. the Crick Crack Club is hosting a late-night storytelling event at the Wellcome Collection. Mustn't forget to book tickets for the actual storytelling - they go on sale on the 27th.

And finally, Saturday 4, I'm finally going to the much-advertised British Museum Tour - Ideas That Made our World. A Funzing event, as advertised by two of their Meetup groups - London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. So I booked with both..

No comments:

Post a Comment