Tuesday 1 December 2015

Play: The Homecoming

Checking Meetup to see what was on for last night, I soon came across "The Homecoming", with the London Dramatic Arts Meetup group. Ah well, that was a no-brainer - plus they had the cheapest tickets - and I booked. It's showing at Trafalgar Studios, and as usual we were to meet beforehand in the Strand Dining Rooms, a short distance away. So I left straight from the office.

I left a bit later than intended, but still in good time to join them for a bite to eat. Mind you, given my previous experience of slow service here, I decided just to go for chips this time - I did remember the chips as being excellent. A couple of others followed my example, and when the organiser saw us all having them.. and heard that they were good.. she had a portion, too! A good sav blanc completed my dinner.

We headed to the theatre in time to meet those who hadn't joined us yet, and she distributed all our tickets to us - and all in the front row too, for a fantastic discount! After climbing one set of stairs and descending another, we got to our seats - this theatre is a good one for sitting in the front row; in many places, the stage is too high to make this comfortable, but here the stage is low enough to make this an excellent option.

A catchy 60s soundtrack accompanied us in, to set the scene - and to reinforce the point, furniture of the period dotted the stage. Also appropriate to the period, the play contained a lot of smoking (at least in the first act) - particularly when one actor lit up a cigar, you could really smell it.

I'd read a review of this beforehand, but didn't really know the story, and the review didn't give it away. We were swiftly introduced to the family from Hell - the patriarch, with an undercurrent of violence: his sons - the elder played by the excellent John Simm, the younger by John Macmillan (who happens to be the only black actor): and finally, his bachelor brother.

It wasn't what you might call a fun household - although many in the audience found much to laugh at: later, they realised that these characters were not to be taken lightly. The father snarled and groused at everyone, waving his cane threateningly. John Simm was a delight to watch, being as unpleasant as possible - you could sense his resentment. And John Macmillan played the not-so-bright younger son, who boxed for fun and worked in demolition for a day job - doubtless helped by his booming voice, which I imagine could bring buildings down all on its own!

 ..But there was a third son. It's not a spoiler to say - because it's mentioned in the synopsis and reviews, and indeed the title of the play refers to his reappearance - that he (played by Gary Kemp) showed up rather unexpectedly, having spent the last several years abroad, with, it seems, no contact with his family. What's more, with him came someone even more unexpected - his wife (Gemma Chan), whom his family knew nothing about. And from the moment she came onstage, she owned it! She really stood apart from the other characters - not only by being the only woman in the play, but by a certain quality of aloofness, as testified by the other characters, who were frequently stunned into silence when she started to speak.

As I mentioned earlier, many of the audience treated the beginning of the play as a comedy - but the laughs soon died out. And by the end of the first act, we were becoming disturbed - however, nothing in it could have predicted what was to happen in the second. This is a terrifically written play, with sharp dialogue and beautifully acted. Strongly recommended! Currently booking up to the 10th February (oh, and there's an excellent Time Out offer - until Friday - for bookings up to the 18th December. And a discount, at the moment, on the Time Out card - don't say I never tell you anything! I just bought one myself..)

We headed back to the Strand Dining Rooms afterwards, where the bar area was full so they let us have a table in the restaurant at the back - and beautiful decor it is, too! And they were perfectly happy just to serve us snacks - so I had more chips and sav! And the conversation flowed, until they were closing and desperate to get us to pay the bill.. and the conversation just went on and on.. :-) It was past my bedtime when I got home, but what the hey.

 
Tonight, I'm joining the Kensington Classical Music group, who have the cheapest tickets I can find for a performance of the pianist, Lang Lang, with the Philharmonia, at the Royal Festival Hall. Features my two favourite classical composers - Mozart and Beethoven. And tomorrow night, I'm headed - with the World Music Meetup - to see a Nepalese band called Namlo. It's at Sands Film Studios again - let's see whether I have more luck getting there this week! Mind you, it'd be handier from my new place - but last I heard, there wasn't any internet there yet..

No comments:

Post a Comment