Friday 11 December 2015

Concert: Tchaikovsky's Rococo Variations conducted by Peter Stark

I actually had different plans for tonight - but nothing I couldn't get out of. So when the organiser of Kensington Classical Music very kindly contacted me to say she'd like to offer me a ticket as her guest to this concert, I was delighted to accept!

We went for a drink after work - but only the one, and I was able to head to the venue in good time: important for anything near the Albert Hall, which always takes longer than you'd think to get to. This, mind you, was across the road - in the Royal College of Music. Now, that's evocative for me, as I used to do RCM exams when I was a kid! Never been there before in person, though.

For once on the approach, I was relaxed. I strolled onto Prince Consort Road - knew my way that far, at least. However, I've always before turned off to go to the Albert Hall; this time, for the first time ever, I continued straight along the road. I knew from the ever-useful Google Maps that the first, grey stone building was a constituent college of Imperial College - the next, red-and-white striped building, was the College of Music. Just opposite the entrance was what must be the most spectacular approach to the Albert Hall, up a broad flight of steps - for the sake of this, and the elegant lobby of the College of Music, with its portrait trio of royalty overlooking the entrances to the auditorium, I was devastated that my phone battery was dead, so I couldn't take pictures..

I was quite early for the concert - although a bit late for the preceding talk - and easily found our organiser in the lobby, a couple of people having got there before me. In due course, the lobby filled up, and our group also swelled in number. This was actually a joint Meetup; the organiser of Kensington Classical Music is also a member of the London European Club, where she had advertised this as well. At about 7, they kicked the attendees out of the talk, so the only place for them to go was back into the lobby - they could, and should, really have opened the doors to us at that point; I was practically crushed, and our group were taking up space in trying to chat to each other. I'm guessing the college wanted to sell more drink, from the rather rough and ready bar down the back of the lobby.

They finally deigned to open the doors and let us in. I had a privileged position in the front row, so marvellous legroom - as someone remarked afterwards, however, we could only see the people at the front of the orchestra, from there. Other members were scattered throughout - but it isn't a large hall, and I doubt any seat was really bad. It was sold out, by the way - they often are, I believe.. and a hopeful-looking returns queue lined up along the wall, in the lobby.

The programme started with some Webern - which was unfortunately exactly the type of music I don't like, all discordant notes. I could quite easily visualise it as the soundtrack for a horror film. Better was to follow, with La Lugubre Gondola - as described in the free programme we were handed on the way in, it features in Marguerite et Armand, a ballet based on La Dame aux Camélias - reason enough for its melodramatic, sweeping score, a harbinger of tragedy..

The promised Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations took us to the interval, featuring the evening's soloist, a young Azeri/Turkish man - Jamal Aliyev - on cello. Apparently, his mother was in the audience, having flown over especially from Turkey for the evening! Well, he didn't disappoint - it was a beautiful performance. (And yes, I was watching for the gestures that so marked Lang Lang's performance, the last time I was with this group! No such shenanigans this evening - although I'd imagine there's less range of motion with a cello.. For the most part, he restricted himself to conspiratorial glances at the first violinist.)

At the interval, our organiser scurried off to get a photo with him - I passed, and stayed where I was. The second half was probably the highlight of the evening for most, consisting of the Nutcracker Suite. Which put everyone in a Christmassy mood.. as promised. And as someone remarked, he was half expecting ballet dancers to sweep on - yes indeed, it's exactly that kind of music! Afterwards, we congregated in the lobby again, until our organiser led us outside. Unfortunately, through a fire exit, setting off the alarm! O well..

A longish - and increasingly cold - walk down Exhibition Road (past an ice rink) brought us to the Pelham Hotel. As she'd explained, there just isn't much choice in the area - and the Hoop & Toy pub, across the road, was obviously jammed. Now, the Pelham Hotel is a beautiful building. It's cosy, the panelling is lovely, glimpses into rooms enticed us with promises of comfy chairs, arranged around fireplaces.

Our organiser had told us to head for the bar - which was downstairs - so off we went. Uh-oh, I thought, as we piled in - there were about 20 of us, and the place was tiny! Not to mention that half the room was taken over by tables with people having dinner. Now, apparently the manager (or whatever) had spoken to our organiser the day before, and assured her that they could accommmodate us. Unfortunately, his idea of accommodating us rather differed from ours - he wanted to put some of us at a large table, some at the bar, others at tables for two..!

Now, we were a group, and wanted to be seated together - more or less, anyway. I'm thinking that we weren't the type of group he's probably used to - large corporate groups, not terribly interested in mingling. However, I struggle to imagine a group that would be happy with some people being paired off at tables on their own..! Well, this wasn't at all acceptable. So after something of a row, our organiser led some of the group upstairs to one of the sitting rooms. The rest of us remained in the bar, taking seats around the large table.

After a considerable period of time, our helpful manager came around with menus: nibbles and drinks. After another considerable interval, we got glasses, followed by water - mind you, it was flavoured with cucumber, which we didn't realise until we'd tasted it. Hmm, it would have been nice to have been asked whether we wanted that - or the mint-flavoured one that came after.. or perhaps no flavour at all? Frankly, I was amazed tonight, when I consulted the website and found that the place has a 5-star rating.. with service as thoughtless as this?

He said he'd be back shortly to take our orders. He wasn't. And someone finally pointed out to the rest of the group that we'd now been waiting for fully half an hour, with no sign of being served, and we might as well try our luck in the overcrowded pub across the road. So we headed back upstairs. Where we passed the cosy sitting room in which the rest of the group was ensconced, and where they had just got their wine. So we ended up joining them in there - not enough chairs for us (not that there was room to add many more), but we were cosy, we now had drinks, and the chat flowed freely. Nibbles duly arrived - I can recommend the croquettes. We heartily toasted our organiser's impending birthday.. And when trays of chocolates arrived, he came to the corner where I was, first. I can believe what she later said about having sent him straight over, to keep me - the group blogger - happy.

Well yes, they were good chocolates. But while all's well that ends well, frankly, the place is sorely lacking in management. And common sense. NOT recommended - save your money, stay somewhere with less extortionate rates and better service. There are plenty. But we did leave in a good mood, and it wasn't far to walk to the Tube.

I'm very glad I'm not headed out early tomorrow, considering how late it's gotten! Tomorrow evening, I'm headed with the London European Club (again!) to a carol service with a difference, at a Romanian church in town. And on Sunday, I have an overdose of The Man With the Hat; Let's Do London - for Less! is off to a matinee of "Your Last Breath" at Southwark Playhouse - based on the true story of a Norwegian woman found trapped in the ice - and in the evening, London for Less Than a Tenner is off to a concert in Cadogan Hall. Actually, so is Let's Do London - for Less! but there's no conflict.. guess who's in charge of both?! So I can blithely pick the cheaper group. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment