Thursday 1 October 2015

Play: Agamemnon & Concert: Talent Unlimited Showcase

Yes, I know, I know.. I've been very quiet of late. Well, I ended up not going to the cinema on Monday - I wasn't in the mood unless it was something really attractive, and it wasn't. So I stayed in. Then I was in Guildford on Tuesday, and I haven't been in the habit of going out on such days - although that'll have to change in the New Year, when the London office closes (shock, horror!). Yes, that's what's been causing all the consternation at work that I've hinted at. So they want us all to move to the Guildford office. Now, I had a serious think, and I wanted to give up neither the job (which I love) nor, of course, London. But after some consultation, it seems I may be able to work from home part of the week. Which would make things much better. Watch this space..

Yesterday, I'd booked for Agamemnon, in the Bunker Trilogy, with the London European Club. So I dragged myself all the way to Stratford again, leaving straight from the office because it just takes so long. At least there wasn't a rugby match there that night. I made Earl's Court in time for one of those trains that sit at the platform for ages, then changed at Westminster for the Jubilee Line, as usual. O Lordy.. it wasn't nearly as crowded as the last time, but it was still uncomfortably so. One of the busier lines, it was crowded enough the whole way that I felt slightly travel-sick in the stuffy environment, all the way till two stops before the end, when I finally got a seat.

I was so glad to get off. Made my way to the Arts Centre, said hi - and "be back in a minute" - to my fellow group members, who were sitting at a table in the café, and ordered myself a glass of wine. Large. I was still worried about affairs at work, and needed this more than I needed the dinner I hadn't had time to get. They served it to me in a plastic container so I could take it in, and indeed, it wasn't long before we were called to take our seats. Blasé after the last time, and knowing our way, we sauntered in after some minutes.

Same bunker - we sat at the other side this time, which allowed us to see the staging that had previously been behind us. They use smoke to create an atmosphere.. it was thicker this time, but never fear, it doesn't cause breathing difficulties. Well, as I explained to my fellow group member, seated beside me, this play is based on the Greek legend. And I recounted as much of it as I could remember, from that production of The Oresteia that I saw at Trafalgar Studios.

This production has the same cast as Morgana. Unlike that play, however, no original character names are used in this - in fact, no names at all. But it is the story of a man who heads off to war, leaving his wife behind, who doesn't understand.. and ends up falling for his cousin. And simmering passions come to a head..

I found this more accessible than Morgana. That was also an excellent production, but Agamemnon forms a more familiar story. Again, the sheer proximity of the performers gives a more intense experience, and the acting is excellent. As a recent reviewer remarked, it's notable how universal these stories are.. in this case, transmuted to the First World War. Highly recommended.. runs until Saturday, on which day tickets are limited.

Afterwards, we stopped by Pizza Express again, and had nibbles and drinks. I was intrigued by their honeycomb dessert.. so naturally had it.. and yes, it is as good as it sounds! Some convivial chat accompanied the nibbles. Home too late to blog, naturally.

Tonight, I had won a free ticket to the Talent Unlimited Showcase, courtesy of a new Meetup group I joined - Kensington Classical Music. The organiser asked several questions, and it seems I was the only one to answer the one that won me the ticket! Well, I was glad to have it. Mind you, for some reason I was sure it was in Cadogan Hall - but no, St. James', Piccadilly. A little further from home, but never mind - I went straight from the office again, and made it just in time. The correct exit from Piccadilly Station was easy to find - Exit 3 (South Piccadilly) is the one you want, and it's directly opposite as you come off the Piccadilly Line.

There was a little confusion at the box office - the group organiser was otherwise engaged, and the box office person knew nothing about me. My name was on the list of people who were supposed to get a ticket, but she asked me whether I'd paid already. Well, no, but.. she gave me the ticket, in a slightly confused manner. And I agreed to pay £1 for the programme.

Took a seat over the side - I subsequently saw the organiser at the other side, but I don't know anyone from this group very well, so just stayed where I was. This was a concert of music students - very talented ones. You know, the baffling ones.. one was just 17, and you do wonder simply that they are so good. We were treated to a fabulous - and quite long - concert, featuring many famous composers, and some not so much. And at the end, a treat not mentioned on the programme - a soprano came on to sing several popular numbers, classical and from musicals. Fabulous stuff - and I got it for free! By the end though, I was hungry and didn't fancy going to the pub with the others, so just slunk home.

Back to Ireland tomorrow for the weekend, and on Monday I'm off to Barcelona! for a U2 concert the next day - they are playing on the 5th too, but I couldn't get a ticket. :-( Mind you, I'm damn lucky to get there - I completely forgot to book the time off work, only realised yesterday, and but for having the Best Boss in the World Ever, I wouldn't be going at all. I fly back on the 7th, and on the 8th I'm off to see People, Places and Things at the National. Good job I booked early - apparently they're completely sold out now. The London Dramatic Arts group is off there on Saturday, so we can compare notes! On the 9th, I'm back to Barcelona for another couple of U2 concerts..

On Monday 12th, I'm back with the Crick Crack Storytelling Club, in the Soho Theatre again, for an interesting-sounding evening called The Heart of a Hero, apparently with an Egyptian storyteller. And the following day, I'm back with the World Music Meetup, for Varlden's Band, in Rich Mix. Long time no see this group!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete