Monday 19 October 2015

Opera: The Barber of Seville

Wow - a Meetup with Let's Do London - for less! that I could actually make. Seriously, I'm out of the country as often as I'm here these days, what with trips to see U2 adding to the regular trips to Ireland.. Anyway, this was perfect, as I do love The Barber of Seville. And these, as ever, were the best value tickets going..

It was a real Manic Monday though, and deadlines saw me heading straight from the office (after meeting said deadlines). I could just about have gone home first, but they were meeting for drinks first, and oh, but I needed a drink after today. So off I trotted. A Tube was waiting for me on the platform, and having dashed on as the alarm went off to indicate that the doors were closing, I threw myself into a seat, bruising myself on the armrest.

Disembarking at Embankment, I walked up a packed (as always) Villiers Street. A brave taxi inched its careful way through the crowds of people (and one fox, that came from the Charing Cross side and dashed across, making several folks go "aah..").

They were meeting at The Chandos, which I was actually in only last Thursday, and knew to be the pub on the corner as you approach the Coliseum. And I knew, without being told, that we'd be meeting upstairs, because they're renovating downstairs. I see it's called - appropriately - "The Opera Room". Anyhow, I walked the length of it, to discover them at the same table I was at on Thursday, right at the back. I saw the organiser's hat, long before I saw the Meetup sign! (Large as it was - the sign, I mean.)

Much faster service tonight than on Thursday. We spent a pleasant half hour or so there, and I met some old acquaintances and made some new ones. And then we meandered off to the Coliseum, just two doors up - although I wasn't sure which door I'd come out of, and had to get my bearings). We blithely passed the man in the hat, who had re-positioned himself outside the door for the benefit of those who didn't fancy the pub (ah, the dedication of the organiser..). And we took ourselves inside and upstairs.

What luxury it is, being in the Upper Circle of the Coliseum. I think it's only happened to me twice before - I'm usually in the balcony, which is a full two floors higher and extremely steep. What was also good was that we came to our seats along a side aisle, with a railing - the steps here have irregular heights, and I'm not good with stairs in general, so it's something of a minefield for me. In fact, I couldn't have requested a better seat - we were all about halfway down, with a perfect view of the stage, and with most going in the row in front of me, I found I had two free seats beside me. So I moved over into one as the lights went down, and had a free seat either side! Very handy for spreading out.

I'm sure I've seen a production of this before, but it has been a while, and it was an absolute delight. The singing was spectacular, the costumes and setting reminded me of those old Ladybird children's books - you know, with the sumptuous illustrations. In general, the production played up the slapstick, and was full of fun. And when the evening came to an end, the director (we think) was brought on stage to take his bows with the rest.

I'd had an ice cream at the interval, but was slightly relieved when the mood was not for drinking afterwards - I was, and am, very, very tired. I'd be asleep now, but that I was hungry, and fancied something to do while I ate.

For tomorrow, I got a cheap ticket for a play called Moments, in the Drayton Arms - honestly, chosen because it was the closest option. And on Wednesday, I'm back with Let's Do London - for less! again, for Carmen, at the Opera House. Always delighted to get together with them..!

No comments:

Post a Comment