Friday 31 July 2015

Play: Measure For Measure

I was all set to go to see Jurassic World in the cinema last night - but I knew that Let's Do London - For Less was headed to Measure For Measure, in the Globe. That was irresistible to me - I really like the group, love the venue. One small problem - they were sold out: and when I checked, so was everybody else! (Well, they had a standing ticket - and they do say the atmosphere is even better there, in the yard, right beside the stage - but I'm too decrepit for that.)

And then.. I was doing the last blog post, and looked up the Meetup page for links.. and what should I see but that two seated tickets had come available for Measure For Measure. Right! Booked one without delay, and yesterday evening, I eagerly set off. Now, I'm pretty sure there's a go-slow on the Tube - normally, every second train passing through West Brompton heads to town, and you'd never have to wait more than five minutes or so. Yesterday evening, none were scheduled to go to town; luckily, I was just in time for a train to Edgware Road (the next wasn't for nine minutes). Changing at Earl's Court, the platform was nearly as crowded as the day before - at least a train to town came after about four minutes. Sure enough, someone told me today that she'd seen a newspaper report about drivers refusing to work on trains that hadn't been safety-checked..

Our organiser (in his distinctive baseball cap) was waiting outside the river entrance to the Globe with a crowd of people and a wad of tickets - he'd sold a lot for this show! I got one and made my way in.. they hadn't opened the door yet, so I got myself what turned out to be a delicious brownie, and then noticed I had quite a view!


When we took our seats, it was at the very edge of the semicircular seated part of the theatre. I'd been given the choice, so chose to sit in the front row - actually, I think I always have, here! I'd been a bit dubious about the view from right around the side, but you know, it was absolutely fine. Despite the ladder that had been curiously positioned right in front of me. With an identical one over the other side - and, as someone remarked, too well painted to have been left there accidentally - we figured they were part of the production. The evening had warmed up a bit, which is nice for an open-air theatre, and we settled down to watch the production.

Now, I mentioned that it had sold out, and it showed - the yard was crammed. This didn't stop the actors from mingling, flirting, wandering through both yard and seats, climbing the ladders to chat to us, and generally making themselves known! Even for the Globe, this was a high level of audience interaction. The yard was packed enough, mind, to make it hard to bring in the two "wendy houses" they'd left outside.. these didn't last too long, though, as they were meant to represent brothels, which were shortly pulled down under the new, authoritarian regime.

The play basically deals with the conflict between vice and virtue, and how neither need be as clear-cut as you might imagine. The Duke, for reasons best known to himself, takes himself off on holiday and leaves his priggish deputy in charge. The Duke then disguises himself as a monk, the better to observe proceedings - and we are left with the story of a young man whom the deputy has starkly condemned to death for getting a woman with child - a woman that he would have married, but for a problem with her dowry. His sister, a novice nun, pleads his case with the deputy, who is rather smitten, and promises to reprieve her brother if she will sleep with him. How will her virtue endure this dilemma? Will the deputy keep his word? And what does the Duke make of all this, as he wanders through the town, going unobserved wherever he pleases?

A review described this production as having the feel of Blackadder, and I have to agree. It is absolutely hilarious, with all the music, merriment, and audience participation that we've come to expect from the Globe. We had a few issues with sound - one or two of the performers didn't have voices that quite projected enough, and it was hard to hear them when faced away from us. But, you know, we managed, and had a thoroughly great time! And I do love the medieval music that accompanies these productions - quite transported me. I can see why it sold out. Runs until 17th October, with this Sunday's matinee sold out and limited availability for the evening performance. At any rate, booking is strongly advised for this!

And so, afterwards, to the Founder's Arms, a few minutes' walk to the left down the riverbank. With plenty of people enjoying the spectacular view of the City lights from the terrace, the discerning few of us who remained from our original group found a table "inside" - although, with all the full-length windows open, there wasn't much difference. Having had a disappointing Pinot Grigio there before, I switched to Chardonnay this time and was much happier. And there we stayed till they chucked us out, shootin' the breeze. Really, this has become my favourite Meetup group - an unbeatable combo of good shows, good prices, and better company! Now, if only I were organised enough to book some more shows with them.. Watch this space.

Typically for this group, I got home too late to blog. Of course, I was lucky with tonight's ticket as well - a last-minute ticket, with the London Dramatic Arts group, to see The Motherf**ker with the Hat, in the National. I don't think I was the only one wondering at the rapid disappearance of everyone on Wednesday night - the organiser mentioned that, tonight not being a "school night", she did hope that someone would join her for drinks and a post-show chat! I assured her that I would stay, if I could find anyone from the group..
 

No comments:

Post a Comment