Saturday 4 July 2015

Film: Mr. Holmes

With everything else I had to do this week, it took days to go through the list of films showing, check their ratings (and whether I could see them cheaper online), and list them in my spreadsheet. It was a relief to get it done in time for yesterday evening! Top of the list for yesterday was The Look of Silence, which I passed on for Wednesday because of the hardship of trekking across town to see it, what with the terrible heat. Well, it was showing closer to home last night - and the weather was cooler anyway - but the problem was, it was only on quite late, and while that normally wouldn't be a problem on a Friday night.. I had to get up early this morning in case the washing machine guy came early!

Mind you, I was quite happy with what came next on the list. Mr. Holmes was rated much higher when it initially opened, and has dropped a bit, but there still wasn't anything else ahead of it for last night. It's been out a little while now, and there isn't quite as much choice of places to see it - but the closest was the Odeon Kensington, at 5.50, and I decided to go there. But then I got caught up at work, didn't get finished until after 6, and the 20-minute walk from the office to the cinema meant that showing wasn't feasible. It didn't have a later showing there, so I checked, and found that it was showing in the Vue Shepherd's Bush at 6.45. Perfect!

I actually had my computer shut off when I remembered that Yplan sells discounted Vue tickets (the offer ends on the 7th, as I recall). Debated whether it was worth waiting for it to reboot, decided it was, and duly logged on, purchased a ticket, and after a short but anxious wait, printed out the reference code and barcode to show at the cinema. You're really supposed to have it on your phone, but the app isn't compatible with mine - my phone is probably considered too old. Anyhoo, it printed decently, and off I went to walk to this cinema instead, in brilliant sunshine. It was slightly longer walk, but I'd get the Overground back home.

It's been a little while, but I remembered the way, and the walk was pleasant enough, apart from the distressed-looking lady who asked whether I'd any cash, as someone had just taken her bag. Sorry ma'am, I've heard of that scam before - someone in the office saw a woman trying the same thing, then saw her on the same street the next day, pleading the same problem. She actually called her on it. And before that, I fell victim to the same thing myself, when I fell for a sob story and gave someone some cash, which she promised to pay back into my Paypal account. Needless to say, months later, I'm still waiting for that. I'm not holding my breath.

I got to the cinema just in time, and after a short queue, was able to present my printed pages to the guy at the till, complete with explanation. (I always print both the barcode, which they're supposed to scan, and the reference number, because the barcode prints too big, and they don't always like to try to scan it.) The code scanned this time, I dumped the printed pages on him, and went to the screen - as usual, I didn't like the seat I'd chosen once I saw it, and sat in the one behind, willing no-one else to have selected it so I'd have to move. They hadn't, it seemed, and I didn't.

After several trailers for films that look rather good (the summer is looking up!), the feature started. Now, this Holmes tale, starring Sir Ian McKellen, deals with the detective in old age, reminiscing about his last case - which was his last because he didn't solve it, so he quit. He now spends his time tending his bees at his house in the country, cared for by his housekeeper, Laura Linney. He becomes close to her son, who encourages him to continue the story he's writing about this last case.. and over the course of the film, flashbacks tell us what happened in it.

It's a beautiful film. It's no wonder the man was knighted - he's a wonderful actor, and a joy to watch. His role changes between his doddery, forgetful, older self, and the still old, but sprightlier, younger and more dapper version of himself, in top hat and tails rather than the scruffy cardigans and pyjamas of his later years. The change is obvious, but perfectly seamless - indeed, you can see how the younger version melded into the older. Yes, by the way, top hat and tails - much of the film deals with the legend of Sherlock Holmes, and according to this version of the character, he never actually wore a deerstalker - that was a figment of Watson's imagination (who, of course, is supposed to have written the tales). Oh, and he used to smoke a pipe, until he became famous for it, and switched to cigars. And the address was faked, for privacy - too many American tourists wanted to visit! ;-) His actual offices were across the road.

There's very little actual detective work in this - it's more the great man coming to the end of his life, and musing that although he understood human actions, he never really understood human nature, and now he finds himself quite lonely. But the film is an absolute delight, and I loved it! Recommended.

On the way out, conscious that I didn't have time for a large meal before bed, I popped into Morrison's, just below the cinema, and bought a chicken roll. Very tasty, and also recommended! Too late to blog last night, of course. And here I am today, and as yet, there's no sign of the washing machine guy, nor any word when he might be coming. So I still don't know what I'm doing today. But at least tomorrow I'm meeting the London For Less! group for the Pop-Up Opera's production of "L' Italiana in Algeri". Despite the best efforts of Meetup, apparently, to hide all mention of the group..! I have reported the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment