Thursday 16 July 2015

Film: Love & Mercy

Last night was a film, and the film listings threw up Papanasam, an Indian film, as top in terms of IMDB ratings. The trailer looked decent - however, typically for Indian films (which tend to be quite long and only shown in the suburbs), the only showing I could manage was at Cineworld Staples Corner. And to get there in time, I'd have to take the 6.30 Overground - which is not fit for human transportation, it's so crowded. For my sins, I've done it a few times before. So, instead, I took the easy option of the second in the list - Love & Mercy: a biopic, as it happens, rather than a documentary, about Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, who suffered from psychosis. It had a good recommendation from someone in the office, as well as the advantage of showing in the Odeon Kensington, which I could walk to.

I left straight from the office, and it was a mighty pleasant stroll to the cinema. Bought my ticket from the machine, and went straight in, because - as usual here - there was no-one to check it. It turned out to be in Screen 3, which was right at the top of the building. Well, that does give you time to admire the staircase. When I finally panted my way up there, seating was unallocated and I seated myself centrally and relaxed - seats here come up to head level, which means you can lean your head back. Which is nice, and which you don't find everywhere.

John Cusack plays the older Wilson, and vaguely resembles him physically. His older self is depicted about 20 years after the Beach Boys' heyday, suffering terribly from his mental issues, but also under the obsessive care of his psychiatrist - a very shady Paul Giamatti. And the narrative flicks between the 60s - where we see the beginnings of his mental problems - and the 80s, where they control his life.

There's plenty of Beach Boys music in it, of course - and much like ABBA, you can't be down while listening to it. So that's cool. And the story is interesting, as Wilson's new love interest tries to save him from the prison he finds himself in. But.. that's about it. It's interesting, as I say, and those with an interest in music will appreciate the detailed description of how he went about his work. But honestly, unless you're a massive Beach Boys fan, you're not going to get much out of this, and it's probably not worth seeing. Catch it on tv, when it's eventually broadcast there.

Tonight is the London For Less! outing to see Silent, at the Soho Theatre. Tomorrow, I have friends visiting and we're headed on a South Bank by Night walk, which I went on a few months ago and thought perfect for them. On Saturday, we're headed on a sightseeing cruise.. and for more, watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment