Wednesday 1 April 2015

Play: These Trees Are Made of Blood

Second night in a row at the Southwark Playhouse! and I was hoping for a better night than the first. Last night, at least, the subject matter sounded more promising - These Trees Are Made of Blood takes as its subject matter the Dirty War in Argentina. It was sold out for at least one performance, so I booked.

I dashed for the train that pulled in as I was passing through the barrier, only to discover that I had to change anyway! Despite what the indicator said. However, again, I was in good time, and made the theatre with minutes to spare - quickening my pace as I approached, mind you, because of the stiff breeze I was faced with.

This show runs half an hour after the other starts, and the queue stretched out into the bar. It wasn't long before they opened the auditorium, and we filed in. There'd been mention, in the Time Out review, of cabaret tables - and sure enough, this small space is decked out with a number of tables and chairs, a catwalk-style stage at one end, and a little one over in the corner for the band. Had I bought a programme, I'd have known what songs they were playing. At any rate, they're good. The tables were all occupied by the time I got there, but there's motley seating around the edges too, and I perched at the end of a small bench. Mind you, this wasn't the most comfortable by the end of this quite long show, despite being upholstered.

The venue was almost full - so booking is advisable. A few gents in military attire roam the room while people are settling themselves. The atmosphere is jovial, with the music, the relaxed attitude, and especially the chap that turns out to be the general's wing commander, who prances about the room in makeup, with a highly camp demeanour. When people are settled, the show begins.

And a show it is! A variety of cabaret acts take the stage.. always a slight military undertone. Beware - there's some gentle audience participation. Which leads to.. but that would be telling. Really, I'm gutted I can't describe more of it here, because the imagery is so striking - but I don't want to give away any secrets. Suffice to say, the story gradually darkens, until we find ourselves in the middle of the story of the Disappeared - dissenters who were removed by the government (with the kind assistance of the School of the Americas), and whose families were left ignorant of their fate.

The mood shifts from joviality to horror, as we watch a mother search for information about her missing child, in the face of a government that alternately ignores and mocks her. They follow the tale through to the end (I was surprised to hear that it was the Falklands war that ended the dictatorship - I might have known that at the time, but was too young to pay much attention). By the end, I was wiping away the tears.

Go see, it's excellent. Booking advised, as I say. Runs until Saturday week. Oh, and as a U2 fan, I'd be remiss if I didn't include Mothers of the Disappeared in this post. I was singing it to myself on the way out, after all! And as I crossed the road, I noticed something I hadn't seen before.. on the "No Entry" sign (a red circle with a horizontal white bar across it), at the entrance to Keyworth Street, some inventive person has drawn a little black figure, arm around the bar as if carrying it. That's been there for a while - it's on Streetview since at least last July! I'd have taken a photo if the wind hasn't been so cruel.

Came home too late to blog. Today, I had a look at Meetup, but didn't see anything that suited in my groups. So I did a search among all groups, and came across a Baroque concert that sounds lovely! Tenebrae by Candlelight is happening tonight in St. John's Church, Smith Square. The "All Things Baroque" group has an outing there. Now, I'd have joined them, but they have an application form that includes mandatory questions about your favourite Baroque artist and composer, and frankly, I'm not sufficiently informed to answer those! I'll just head along on my own - they don't seem to be booking out. And I see it's just down from Westminster - nice area!

Tomorrow, Helen and I have booked to go to Sweeney Todd in the Coliseum. Stars Emma Thompson. Interestingly, I was sat near a family on the way home from that on the Tube last night. Anyway, Helen says she can make an earlier train now, so we've cancelled the booking we made in the Coliseum restaurant - there are so many others nearby, and we'll have more time now! Then I'm back in Ireland for Easter.. my mother wants to have Sunday lunch in Flanagan's, I must get to booking it soon! And I fly back to London on Tuesday..

No comments:

Post a Comment