Thursday 2 April 2015

Musical: Sweeney Todd

I can't remember who was first to suggest we go to see Sweeney Todd - probably Helen, but it might have been something I said. Anyway, when I was looking for the confirmation email today, I had terrible trouble finding it - and no wonder! Turns out I booked it last September. I remember it was the first day tickets went on sale, and the website was so busy you couldn't log on. So I bought the tickets with London Box Office instead - they were the cheapest alternative. Handily, the cheapest they had were in the Upper Circle, which is a full two floors below the entrance to the Balcony. So I took those.

Helen had to get the train into town, and initially thought she wouldn't get there until about 6.45. With the show starting at 7.30, that didn't give us a lot of time to eat beforehand, so we booked a table in the restaurant of the Coliseum, where the show is staged. It's only open to holders of tickets for that night's performance. Then, just this week, she discovered she could come earlier, so we cancelled the booking and decided to take our chances with the many restaurants nearby.

We had a lovely, sunny afternoon today, as I checked how booking was going. Turns out the top two levels are completely sold out for the entire run - I've never seen the like for this venue. Then it turned out Helen's train was delayed - a person under it, as happens so often. So she was slightly later than planned, then I started doing something in the office and was also slightly later than planned, so our relaxed dinner plans weren't quite so relaxed!

After I met her at Charing Cross, we headed out for my preferred option - L' Ulivo, on Villiers Street. But it turned out to be full, and we decided to try for somewhere nearer the venue. Boy, was that optimistic! First, turning into William IV Street, we tried Spaghetti House. After several minutes of standing just inside the door and waiting to be noticed, we weren't the only ones to give up. We subsequently discovered that the main entrance is around the corner, but still, that's no excuse for ignoring your customers!

Instead, we ended up across the road from the Coliseum, in Prezzo. At least the maitre d' immediately acknowledged our presence and gave us menus when he had a moment, promising faithfully that we'd have no more than a 7-minute wait. Well, I didn't time it, but we soon saw a table free up. The suspense grew as we waited for them to clear it, set it, and lead us to it. And just as they finally did all that, we were nearly pipped at the post by someone who, I'm sure, wanted the same table! But he shooed her away, so I didn't have to engage in single combat with her on an empty stomach.

When the nice man came for our drinks order, we gave him the food order as well. Helen fancied some garlic bread, which is generally a starter but which she asked to be served along with the main course - an eye on the clock, you see! She had pasta, I had chicken in a mushroom sauce. And maybe just over five minutes later, we were served the whole lot. Not so shabby!

Great service, great location. Food not so terrific, honestly - I dunno about the pasta, but my wine was watery, and both chicken and sauce were rather tasteless. We didn't have time for a dessert - but on the evidence of this, if I'm looking for somewhere in the vicinity again, I'll search on.

We crossed the road to the theatre, and I collected the tickets as the five-minute bell sounded. You can enter the Upper Circle by either the grand staircase or the back stairs - guess which we chose? ;-) We took our seats - more comfortable than the Balcony, better upholstery and with armrests. The place was packed, predictably - and quite warm, at that height. And shortly after, the lights gently dimmed and the show began.

The Standard is vexed that this show is too West End - too theatrical, not dark and gruesome enough, like another production of the same story that's currently playing. (I'd try and find out where, but I haven't been able to get details on a general search, and Time Out's search is hanging - as usual.) Well hey, I like gruesome - but I like a bit of West End too, from time to time, and this production certainly doesn't disappoint! The review in the Standard is spot on - the lead actor's singing blew me away, and Emma Thompson can hold a tune too: and seemed to be having the most fun of anyone on stage!

Which brings me to the staging. You know, this is the wrong theatre for this, in a way. It's a classic West End show, but the way it's done doesn't suit the venue. The orchestra, instead of being tucked away in their pit, are up on stage with everyone else, and the action takes place around them. (Indeed, they sometimes play a part.) There are ramps leading to a platform, which mostly acts as Todd's barbershop, and when things happen up there it's fine! Unfortunately, most of the action happens towards the front of the stage, which makes it very difficult to see if you're in the upper levels, and not at the front of your section. Indeed, it was rather comical to see everyone craning forward when the action moved to the front. They even provided screens for the Balcony, so people could see what was happening when the actors went off stage.

..as they did, on occasion. There's a small amount of audience participation, you could say - which would be easier in a smaller venue. They're victims of their own success, I guess! However, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a terrific show - Thompson is a natural comic, and revels in her role, and the title character's singing could blow the roof off.. and that is a wonderful score.

I mentioned it was hot, up where we were. The fellow beside me seemed in distress, his companion rubbing his back at one point. He got himself a bottle of water at the interval, but stayed to the end - so it was physical, rather than a dislike of the show, I'd say.. At the interval, it was good to stand, and we firstly made a dash for the toilets, beating the crowd - and on exiting, passed a queue of biblical proportions. We got ourselves ice creams and took them back inside, where I led Helen to the front of the Upper Circle so she could see the building better; she'd never been before. She snapped a few photos.. link here.

The first act was longer than the second, but this is a long show, coming in at just under three hours, including the interval. And after the standing ovation at the end, it took longer for us to make our way through the slow-moving sea of people that were leaving. But she made her train, and I was just in time for one of my own, and all was well. Excellent show, highly recommended! If you're looking to book a ticket, it runs until Sunday week, but tickets on the official website are severely limited.

On the train home, I was shocked to read that the underground fire in Holborn closed several theatres, yesterday and today - we were lucky we weren't further east! Also, yesterday, it caused severe delays on the Bakerloo Line, which I took the two days before. Good timing on my part..

I'm off to Ireland for Easter tomorrow, and still haven't got around to booking Flanagan's for Sunday lunch. Might do it tomorrow. I fly back to London on Tuesday, and for Wednesday I've booked to see Des Bishop at the Soho Theatre. Never seen him live, but have loved watching him on tv! Then it's looking like a trip to the Guildford office on Thursday, which means no going out - I get too tired, with the early start.

No comments:

Post a Comment