Friday 19 September 2014

Opera: Otello

As I mentioned in my last post, I wasn't sure about going to see Otello - until I saw a trailer, and was blown away by the music. So that was that. I did an online search for tickets, and found the best value with LoveTheatre - not only that, but I'd get to sit in the Upper Circle; a level lower than I've ever been before in the Coliseum.

So when drinks were suggested this evening after work, sadly, I had to decline - I just wouldn't have had time. I had to run home first with groceries, and changed to slightly posher clothes, and off I went. Astonishingly, the platform indicator in my local station was actually working, for once. I had a choice of routes - Tube to either Piccadilly Circus or Embankment, and walk. I wouldn't have to change to get to Embankment, so that's the route I took. Pity about the guy who sat beside me - one of those with a need to free their elbows, you know! So I had an elbow leaning on me most of the way. Could be worse.

There are few things more pleasurable than walking through the West End on a balmy, sunny evening, with crowds spilling out of the pubs, and everyone en route to a good time. I had printed out my ticket confirmation, which is always handy when the box office is busy - they then don't feel the need to ask you for identification, and everyone has an easier time. Interestingly, I discovered that face value of my (£23.40) ticket was £39. They'd said something about £45 on the website. What the hey, it's a saving anyway, and the cheapest I could get!

Now, I'd forgotten that the Coliseum balcony - where, remember, I'd always been before - has entry via the back stairs. Anyway, for the Upper Circle, I could take the main staircase. Already better! Fewer stairs too, of course. I got there with just ten minutes to spare, so didn't bother with a drink and just took my seat. Sure enough, there isn't such a drop as on the balcony, which makes it easier for anyone with phobias of a height-related nature. Also, I was towards the outer end of the row - and they do provide rails at the walls, although not down the centre. The most noticeable thing about Upper Circle seating is the considerable overhang from the balcony. You can certainly see how steep the balcony is, from the angle! When I was standing at my seat, which was third row from the back, I couldn't see the surtitles - I wonder whether the last row had problems. Final observation - the seats on the balcony are very comfortable, but the Upper Circle seats are even better - much more padding! Legroom is decent.

The guy beside me was eating a McDonald's wrap, of all things. Honestly! Mind you, as soon as the lights went down, he and his companion switched to better seats. There was a lot of that - the back of the Upper Circle was practically empty. There were three intervals - one major, two minor - and after the main one, everyone in front of me had moved! which left me with a terrific view - I wasn't complaining.

It was nice to be close enough that you could practically see facial expressions. This was also the first time I could actually see the orchestra. And what a show I was in for.. the stage is quite large. It needs to be, to accommodate the whole company. There must have been a hundred people onstage at parts. I already knew the music was spectacular - let me tell you, when the whole company is belting it out - even in the Upper Circle, you sit back in your seat in shock! The reviews were right - the singing is terrific. The singer portraying Desdemona has a voice so strong that you could literally imagine the notes shattering glass.

The stage is quite sparse. Lighting is used brilliantly, with low lighting creating ominous areas of light and dark, and throwing looming shadows on the wall. The performance is in English, but the surtitles are useful, since it can be difficult to pick put words in this kind of singing, and also for when people are singing different arias in tandem.

The reviews mention that this production lacks intimacy: true, but it works, I think. This is an opera on epic scale. If you love opera, you will love this. Go see. Runs until the 17th. As evidenced, shopping around is probably worth your while - although, on the night, the box office was selling tickets that might not have been available on the website. Cheaper than the lowest official price. Mind you, still more expensive than mine!

For tomorrow, I have a free ticket - courtesy of ShowFilmFirst - to a concert called Cabaret Songs. Could be interesting - I'm up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment